Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG Clunk  (Read 8288 times)

Offline nobby

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
DSG Clunk
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:55:56 pm »
Hi all
 I have a 2008 pirelli dsg done 7000miles and just recently a couple of times now, when i start the car (in park), there is a horrible short clunk noise, very loud defo sounds as though gearbox related. Other than that, the gearbox performs totally fine, i just hope this aint the start of something. Hope somebody can shed some light as im sure vw wont be interested unless i can get it to do it with them.

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
Re: DSG Clunk
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:19:51 pm »
 as your in warranty best thing to do is take it to the dealers

explain your concerns they may well just reset your box which could fix it but if your mechatronics is duff and the problems persist then it  will need replacing.

As it's a known problem they will do it under warranty, if your heavily modified they may not cover it...
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline Rich

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 09:10:54 pm »
Hi,

Not experienced this,

But a clunk noise happended with me .... but on the motorway, it felt like it had changed into the wrong gear... then realised and clunked and re jigged itself...

~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline nobby

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 12:05:52 pm »
as your in warranty best thing to do is take it to the dealers

explain your concerns they may well just reset your box which could fix it but if your mechatronics is duff and the problems persist then it  will need replacing.

As it's a known problem they will do it under warranty, if your heavily modified they may not cover it...

Thx james
i called them and they have asked me to bring it in...
watch this space

Offline AlanD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 12:20:59 pm »
If your heavily modified they may not cover it...

May / probably wont as you have invalided your warranty by modifying the car.

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 12:50:04 pm »
If your heavily modified they may not cover it...

May / probably wont as you have invalided your warranty by modifying the car.

It don't work like that. IIRC if a warranty claim is regarded as invalid because of a modification, the dealer will have to prove that the modification caused the part in question to fail.
Your remap won't affect your warranty for bits of trim falling off, say.

Offline AlanD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 01:06:11 pm »
So a remap would technical invalidate anything mechanical as you a putting more stress on all of that ?

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 01:23:00 pm »
So a remap would technical invalidate anything mechanical as you a putting more stress on all of that ?

I've got no idea, they have to prove it  :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 03:10:47 pm »

I've got no idea, they have to prove it  :laugh:

....I hope I'm wrong but I think the onus may be on you to prove that the mod and the issue are unrelated. In other words, you pay for the work and try to reclaim afterwards but the principle of law is that they must be unrelated to uphold the warranty.

Apart from this aspect, you may find that VW are very keen to solve most cases of DSG problems, even if outside warranty.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 03:48:37 pm »

....I hope I'm wrong but I think the onus may be on you to prove that the mod and the issue are unrelated. In other words, you pay for the work and try to reclaim afterwards but the principle of law is that they must be unrelated to uphold the warranty.

Apart from this aspect, you may find that VW are very keen to solve most cases of DSG problems, even if outside warranty.

While VW USA have publically acknowledged the DSG mechantronics failures and are offering extended warranties FOC, unfortunately the UK and the rest of Europe haven’t followed suit.

I now know of a couple of people (and as of yesterday can now include myself in this) where VW have now said they will not honour any warranty claims for DSG box as the power output of the car has been increased.

Also if you have had your mechantronics unit replaced once under warranty there is no guarantee this will last any longer than the original unit.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 04:21:06 pm »
^^^^
Thanks for the update, Steve.

Thinking aloud: If the GTI and Ed30 use exactly the same DSG box (as I think they do), then VW have increased the power output themselves. Also, isn't the S3's S-tronic box also the same and also running around 260 bhp?

But I understand VW's policy here in Europe.

Are you having DSG probs?

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 04:27:36 pm »
^^^ I am not 100% sure they are all exactly the same but expect they probably are.

Yes mine has already had the mechatronic's replaced once, around 20k miles ago, but have has developed a far worse "clunk" when engaging D from R or P, and very very jerky response in 1st and Reverse gears.

The initial diagnosis from the dealership this time is the whole box needs to be replaced as the guided fault finding isn't showing the faults up as a mechatronic's failure this time.  :sad1:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 04:52:26 pm »
^^^^
I suspect that the Mechatronics units may differ but the DSG mechanicals are identical, but I don't actually know for sure.

That's a bummer, Steve! Have Revo been able to make any suggestions? I assume you had a DSG service at the timing recommended - But could it be worth an extra DSG service?

The cold weather won't help either.. But I'm just burbling on trying to think of possibilities.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 05:00:58 pm »
^^^ The software in the mechatronic is different for sure but the actual unit itself is the same, hence why the mechatronic's failures have been seen across the whole range of VW cars (in one month my local dealer replaced them in a various Golfs, Golf Plus's, Touran's and Passat's with both petrol and disel engines).

As mine is effectivly a hardware issue then Revo won't be able to offer much if any help (other than to reflash back to stock, which proved it was the gearbox and not the software).

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 07:26:14 pm »
Sorry to hear that Nobby and SteveP are having problems with their DSG 'boxes :sad1:

I can't offer much in the way of help, but mine was having a few issues , but I had a full DSG service done on mine last year and since then it has been okay. Since then I have had the Quaife fitted and another DSG service carried out.

Have either of you carried out a DSG service yet?

I've been in some other DSG cars that have had the odd clunky change, but not heard of any actually failing because of them yet. I've also been in the Porsche pdk equipped car and even that has it's "odd" moments.

If you work out how many changes in gears your DSG car does and then see how many times you get the "clunky" change, maybe it is a sign your box does need a service. Most engines idle a little rougher coming up to a service, so possibly the same can be attributed to the DSG box :confused:

My car's DSG service is roughly every 10k, so perhaps a modified car should be serviced on par with the engine oil?
Golf R gone.