Make a donation

Author Topic: Coolant temp issues and takes ages for heaters to blow out hot air. Gti mk5  (Read 1572 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Hi guys

I've been having an issue with the temperature needle rising to 90 degrees and not enough hot air blowing out.
my tt mk1 heated up within 1 1/2 miles and temp took about 3 miles to hit the centre 90.

Can someone tell me if this is the thermostat failing?.

Many thanks

M

Offline BigA91

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Could be thermostat slightly stuck open, coolant sensor, could be an air lock in the cooling system. Worst case matrix pipes could be blocked, again need to be flushed but that's the last and extreme case lol. I've seen somewhere that most people mention a dsg 'stat but could be wrong.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
Hi, thanks for the reply  :smiley
It's not overly cold that the matrix would be at fault as im sure i would notice but Thermostat I will have to replace as your most likely right there.
Temp sensor would be at fault if the car temp wasn't working at all I would think?.

What do you mean dsg stat?   :confused:

This is after 30 minutes of running

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 05:24:49 pm by r5gtt »

Offline Gmaster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Mine is the same also DSG been like it for a while now,pretty sure it's the thermostat stuck open going to get it replaced soon as I can now that the weather is getting colder.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
Mine is the same also DSG been like it for a while now,pretty sure it's the thermostat stuck open going to get it replaced soon as I can now that the weather is getting colder.
Hi pal, just realised it had to be the stat as the tt was the same and less headache to replace.
Apparently our gti dsg and three stats. 2 inline ones and one behind the Alternator. Check out the links in the thread courtesy of doylebros.
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,102456.0.html

Offline Gmaster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Cheers mate , yeah mine is booked in for next week ... Not a cheap job though!!!!

Offline BigA91

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
If you're usually good with spanners, its not so bad of a DIY.

I did it 3 times on my MK1 Audi S3 many years as 2 cheap ECP ones failed and in the end, I bought one from TPS.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
I can do all three but it's the weather and having to work outdoors putting me off.  :scared:

M