Make a donation

Author Topic: The North coast 500  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
The North coast 500
« on: November 29, 2015, 08:18:17 pm »
I thought that I'd  bring this up in here as it's  a route that I've  just driven and it's  also fairly close to where I live.
The NC500 is a newly set up group to promote the North of Scotland as a driving destination.
You can start it anywhere on the route but the most popular way of doing it is to start and finish in Inverness.
You can then drive West to Appiecross or Ullapool depending on how much time you can spend,then north,up the west coast,Assynt,Wester Ross and on into Sutherland and Caithness.Its worth exploring some of the smaller roads to places like Clachtoll and Achmelvich where the beaches rival or indeed,better anything you'll find in more exotic climates,and where some of the scenery will blow you away.
Then across the North coast from West to east,through Thurso and onwards to John O'Groats.Then you can take the A9 back to Inverness.
Be warned thought some of the roads are single track with plenty of passing places and once past Scourie in the North,it gets pretty sparse until you get to Durness,then again going around Loch Eribol until you get to Bettyhill, so ensure that you've fuelled up.
If you feel the need to get away and distress,don't  want the hassles of airports or package holidays, this will do it.

www.northcoast500.com

This would be a great route to do as a group charity run as has been done by the MX5 owners club and vintage/classic car clubs.

Sent from my SM-T533 using Tapatalk

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: The North coast 500
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 09:52:03 pm »
Beautiful that.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 09:57:58 pm »
Spectacular. Definitely planning a highlands route for next year.  :happy2:

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 10:08:50 am »
Done part of this route earlier this year on a run to Applecross via A84 Glencoe and then back via Inverness. Epic roads and scenery  :driver:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline ArildStavrum

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 01:13:35 pm »
A bit of good weather and this would be spectacular.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 04:24:59 pm »
Do you have a link to the video? I can't load it on mobile due to the formatting of the page.

dansmith180

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 05:06:33 pm »
Looks awesome, been wanting to drive Scotland and the Yorkshire dales etc.. For a while. Not many great roads in the bottom half of the island.