Make a donation

Author Topic: Hello Forum, New member, advice needed  (Read 1533 times)

Offline MrBones

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Hello Forum, New member, advice needed
« on: December 04, 2015, 10:36:22 am »
Hello Mk5 Golf GTI Forum members

Is this forum ok for non GTI members? If not then I go somewhere else, but this forum looked the best with the best advice by far

After four years in an Audi A3, I sold it for a Golf

I have purchased an Mk5 golf GT FSI 4 motion, with 72 on the clock on a 06 plate

I been a VW and Audi fan for thirty years and had Audi B5’s Scirocco’s MK1’s, Golf MK 1, 2, 3 and my wife drives a battered MK 4 (probably the worst gen in my limited view, but she loves it) and my last car was a Audi Quattro 2.0 TDI 170 S Line Sportback (remapped)
I have admired golf Mk5’s for years and the car I have at the moment was originally bought for my wife, as I have always really liked the shape (more than the MK6 and 7’s)
So I have a new car and need some advice from you experienced forum members please

FRONT END
I would like to put a GT TDI front bumper on the front, But which one? I believe the ABS plastic ones are best? If anybody has any advice it would be very appreciated, Is there any makes you guys would recommend. I don’t want a R32 front as the car isn’t a R32, but most of the front ends I have been looking at are R32’s on ebay, which I will go for if I have to.
I have already fitted a cat back exhaust, so she sounds nice with a bit more flow

WHEELS
I would like some R36 wheels as I think they look good but not too much in your face, together with Goodyears or Vredestein’s, If anybody has any advice on where to buy a set of wheels from then let me know. I usually get my tyres from Camskill but I am open to new dealers. I was thinking of running 225/45/18 on the back and 215/45/18 on the front? Would this be ok? I used to run 225’s on my old MK3 and they used to wear on the outside tyre, would this be the same with a MK5?

ICE
I would like to upgrade the head unit to another VW one, but which one do you guys recommend? I would also like to upgrade the speakers but I would like to upgrade the speakers that are in it originally. No base units or big woofers please. I’m an ex audio engineer so I really don’t need a load sound system, just something that holds all the frequencies 

ENGINE
I’m at a bit of a loss in this area. I would like to get as much as I can out of this 150bhp engine but what would you guys recommend. Can I put a map on a non turbo 2.0? Don’t get me wrong I’m not looking for anything mad but it would be nice to have a bit more

I’m looking to keep this car for a bit and really like the car, just need a few minor mods to make it run and look the best it can without going over the top, so any advice would be welcome. Is there anything to watch out for? What are the character with these engines. I have read that these engines burn a lot oil? Is there any advice you can pass on

Thanks in advance for any advice and all advice gladly appreciated
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 01:15:25 pm by MrBones »

Offline MrBones

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Hello Forum, New member, advice needed
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 12:27:31 pm »
80 views and not one person can make a comment to a new member  :sad1:

Come on forum, its not like I'm asking for anything really technical

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 01:12:39 pm »

There are plenty of non Golf owners never mind non Gti, so you're welcome here!

Can't really advise on bumper swaps but I'm sure a few on here have done it.  Genuine would be better quality and fit over any copy.

Good year asymmetric v2 are great performance and value for money. The tyre of the moment is the Michelin supersport.
Camskills, oponeo, tyreleader and love tyres are all quite competitive mail order suppliers.

I reckon you'll find quite a bit on retro fitting an oem rns headunit and speaker upgrades in the entertainment and nav section. @xjay1337  is pretty clued up on speaker installs and audio I think, check his build thread. Might be something in there.

Rex puts his smaller engined golf to great use performance wise. You'll certainly find some inspiration in his build thread.

If you change your mind about going over the top and idiotically ploughing money into it, check my build thread lol

Hopefully gives you somewhere to start!

Offline MrBones

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 01:57:42 pm »
Thanks you Mike, great help, I will check out these threads......Now I know I'm not invisible  :laugh:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 03:32:16 pm »
Who said that?  :laugh:

Offline V3trox

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 11:34:49 am »
Arent the gt tdi bumpers the same as the gti? (google seems to think so :D )

Either way I would suggest you buy a used genuine one. Replica abs ones rarely fit perfectly, mine doesnt. Some times you can get away with just a bit of trimming here and there but sometimes they are too short and just dont line up right with the wheel arches (AKA mine)

With regards to the engine. You can get around 20-25 extra horses out of it. Some tuners claim 30 but i find that to be stretching the truth some what. Whereabouts do you live?

Offline MrBones

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 12:01:21 pm »
Thanks for the reply Vetrox  :drinking:, I would prefer an OEM one but I have also been looking at this one on fleebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231589235782?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I will be getting a bodyshop to fit and paint it, but has anybody had an experience with this kit?

As for the Tuning side of things I would be happy with 20 bhp extra, but how would we get that out of a standard 2.0 FSI engine?

Most places won't touch it because it's a 4motion and (I believe), its a pain in the....to put on the rolling road?

I managed to get an extra 40 bhp out of my last 2.0 TDI 170 to 210 but that had a turbo on it to tweek

More research and time needed, I live in Gloucestershire so if you can recommend any turners that would be great

Thanks again Vetrox  :happy2:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:11:12 pm by MrBones »

Offline V3trox

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 11:32:29 pm »
Unfortunatley I dont know any tuners in your area and you're only 200 miles from me so thats a no go XD

Some places with a dyno know how to do dsg 4 motions...some dont. With standard hardware though tuning can be done quite easily without a dyno by any competent tuner and the n/a fsi ecus (me/med 9.5) has quite a lot to play with for getting gains. Even in n/a form. Get hiflow cat and good free flowing exhaust system and you would be very surprised what the fsi can give!

I cant help with that particular bumper either. Although stuff from germany always comes with that added "ah its german so it must be good" feel with it. I would still get a genuine item though. Especially if you can find it in the right colour.