Make a donation

Author Topic: MK6 R or MK7 GTI  (Read 1886 times)

Offline CarlW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92229.msg927100.html#msg927100
MK6 R or MK7 GTI
« on: December 08, 2015, 11:00:29 am »
Hi guys,

My dad has been asking me to find out more about the MK7 range as he's thinking of trading in and buying through finance.

The specifics:
So... I'm hoping you guys can help me with any and all advice you guys can give as to what to look out for or what to avoid, what disadvantages to look into or is there any specific spec i should be helping him look at for example the performance pack.. DCC whatever this is? What other options should he really be looking for when looking at the MK7's as I haven't had time to fully look into specs yet.

As i have seen MK7 GTI's for around the £20,000 mark.. Would it also be worth him looking at the MK6 R's or sticking to the MK7 GTI's as they are both around the same price range for similar milage..

Another thing i'd like to know is what things can be changed via VCDS as i've seen people complain about the electric handbrake in MK7's coming on suddenly if the seatbelt isn't plugged in etc?.. Are there any other things like this that I should know for example the city emergency braking?... Anyone had any bad experiences with these features of the MK7? If so can they be disabled or tweaked at all?

Main interest at the moment is the MK7 GTI but not sure on what the difference in cost would be for the MK7 R and I have already seen the MK6 R's for around same price as the MK7 GTI so which of these would you rate best if the 7R was out the question?..

Appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Thanks,
Carl.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 10:47:12 pm by CarlW »

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
Re: MK6 R or MK7 GTI
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 11:07:10 am »
The MK7 chassis is a lot better than the MK5 platform (which the MK6 is based on) (IME). Unless 4wd is essential, I'd go for the MK7 GTI every time. 
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline Paradox1

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 11:16:43 am »
Maybe its a preference thing but im not a fan of the mk7 shape......
why not consider a mk6 gti?

Offline CarlW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92229.msg927100.html#msg927100
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 11:22:30 am »
He like's both MK6 and MK7 equally but i think the newer reg and lesser miles is what pulls him towards the MK7 not that you can't get a low mileage MK6 which is why i'm querying the MK6 R as he could get one of these for the budget he is looking at and it just offers a little more performance and with winter being here.. will be better in the snow i assume as a selling point

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 11:26:25 am »
If its a finance car then Mk7 R. Difference in finance price per month will be small between that and a GTI plus you've 4WD on top of all the other upgrades. Don't forget the Clubsport ((Edition 40 in all but name), will be priced between the 2 others.

The silly cheap deals are all gone now on the R, the Clubsport books will open soon so you may find a deal or 2 for those in the new year. Check the other forums for deals as well as Google search.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 12:28:01 pm »
The stupid cheap R deals have gone, they're back up to £260 a month now instead of £200.

I'd get a Mk7 GTI and map it  :pomppomp: :pomppomp:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 12:55:11 pm »
Just to throw something else into the mix, why not the new Leon Cupra R with the Sub8 performance pack? Think they look amazing, they drive just as well as all the others but cost quite a fair bit less. Also, look at older Seat Leon Cupra R's over the other cars in the VAG family of similar spec, the Leon's seem to hold their value better long run.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline CarlW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 06:20:42 pm »
I've already told him about the Cupra R's, but he said he likes the golf better based on exterior looks and also he preferred the interior of the golf.. So I think he is pretty set on the MK7 golf GTI or possibly R if there are any within what he is willing to spend. Previously before he changed his mind from the GTD to the GTI he was looking at around £21,000 but that was buying outright price so would probably be more with a finance deal i'd imagine and i've seen GTI's for around that price that fit the bill for what he is looking for. As for the R, i don't think there is much chance of finding one around that price unless its a MK6.

For now i think it's more of a case of what to look for when looking at these three cars the MK7 GTI / R and the MK6 R and what are their downfalls such as the MK6 were known for week cam chains i believe?... Stuff like that.. I think the decision will come as to which car he wants when he test drives all three.

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 10:06:48 am »
I've already told him about the Cupra R's, but he said he likes the golf better based on exterior looks and also he preferred the interior of the golf.. So I think he is pretty set on the MK7 golf GTI or possibly R if there are any within what he is willing to spend. Previously before he changed his mind from the GTD to the GTI he was looking at around £21,000 but that was buying outright price so would probably be more with a finance deal i'd imagine and i've seen GTI's for around that price that fit the bill for what he is looking for. As for the R, i don't think there is much chance of finding one around that price unless its a MK6.

For now i think it's more of a case of what to look for when looking at these three cars the MK7 GTI / R and the MK6 R and what are their downfalls such as the MK6 were known for week cam chains i believe?... Stuff like that.. I think the decision will come as to which car he wants when he test drives all three.

You don't have to worry about timing chain issues on the mk6 R as it uses the mk5-based TFSI engine, unlike the mk6 GTI.

However, having driven both (and owned a mk6 R) I'd go for the mk7 GTI over it any day. I found the mk6 R to be too laggy, and of course the mk7's gonna have a better spec as standard
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)