Make a donation

Author Topic: Whose kept their oem air intake?  (Read 26632 times)

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Re: Whose kept their oem air intake?
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2015, 11:47:17 am »
I got a 2.0 TSI. would my airbox fit a mk5 gti. just out of curiousity?
No

The problem I don't like about oem is the pipe from turbo to maf. It doesn't feel tight or secure enough. If there something to replace it let me know.
I've already shown you the Forge offering which is the only aftermarket replacement unless you have the means to fabricate your own.

It's never going to be as simple as a bit of drain pipe and a filter. As you say VW spend a fortune of tuning the intake system as a whole. It's all matched together, I am sure the intake length, manifold design, Intake runner etc etc is all optimised for  the airbox. I tried a induction kit and it ruined the low down torque and general low speed drive ability.
It's not as simple as that, the standard airbox is designed to be quiet whilst using a cheap to replace paper filter. You can't have a matched airbox with the intake etc. when you have a turbo and several feet of twisting, narrow pipe between them.

The crucial most overlooked part is the MAF sensor reading/scaling. A lot of aftermarket kits, including the RamAir kit, ruin throttle response and low down drivability (and even produce what feels like lag) solely from the MAF reading/scaling. I've learnt this from experience having bought their MAF pipe to try. I took it off within a mile of driving the car and replaced it with another MAF pipe
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
Whose kept their oem air intake?
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2015, 12:45:09 pm »
The problem I don't like about oem is the pipe from turbo to maf. It doesn't feel tight or secure enough. If there something to replace it let me know.

I've already shown you the Forge offering which is the only aftermarket replacement unless you have the means to fabricate your own.

Hi mate. I know. I asked awesome gti if it will fit a k03 as it says it's for k04. They said no it won't. I know the turbo end is same diameter so assume maf is bigger on k04?

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2015, 01:32:05 pm »
Its exactly the same, the only difference is the K04 has the take-off for the DV return pipe, which simply needs to be blocked up on a K03
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2015, 03:38:11 pm »

Hi mate. I know. I asked awesome gti if it will fit a k03 as it says it's for k04. They said no it won't. I know the turbo end is same diameter so assume maf is bigger on k04?
If you check the for sale thread you'll see a k04 k03 variant pipe I'm selling and it's blocked off by a rubber bung.

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2015, 06:45:26 pm »
Just checked with awesome again as the pipe diameters between k03 and k04 are the same. This time they confirm they fit. Will see how this vwr kit pans out as I am getting the annoying whistle from 3.5k on full throttle. Need to test oem air box to see if it disappears as it wasn't there before or on the k04 ramair kit.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2015, 08:39:04 pm »
Some intakes make that whine on a K03 and some dont. Its a horrid noise. I found the smaller diamater pipework (all one diameter, usually 70mm) to be the worst for it.

It will of course go completely with the standard airbox on as that thing masks all noisesm

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2015, 08:52:30 pm »
My Neuspeed P-flow doesn't make that noise but screws with my power so off with its head  :P and back to good ol old school ugly box  :jumping:

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2015, 09:40:04 pm »
I need a little help. I am thinking of putting the std air box back but instead of using the oem air duct from grill to the air box am thinking of using a large piece of silicon pipe from the box to the grill. Just wondering if there is anything out like what the twin take or vwr use that hold the pipes in place in the front grille??

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2015, 11:54:10 pm »
I really wouldn't  other with it mate. too much hassle for nothing imho  :smiley:

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2015, 07:22:08 am »
No

It's never going to be as simple as a bit of drain pipe and a filter. As you say VW spend a fortune of tuning the intake system as a whole. It's all matched together, I am sure the intake length, manifold design, Intake runner etc etc is all optimised for  the airbox. I tried a induction kit and it ruined the low down torque and general low speed drive ability.
It's not as simple as that, the standard airbox is designed to be quiet whilst using a cheap to replace paper filter. You can't have a matched airbox with the intake etc. when you have a turbo and several feet of twisting, narrow pipe between them.

The crucial most overlooked part is the MAF sensor reading/scaling. A lot of aftermarket kits, including the RamAir kit, ruin throttle response and low down drivability (and even produce what feels like lag) solely from the MAF reading/scaling. I've learnt this from experience having bought their MAF pipe to try. I took it off within a mile of driving the car and replaced it with another MAF pipe

I'm not convinced it's only the MAF scaling causing drivability issues  Seems to be anyone who fits a induction kit reports a loss in low down torque, some just put up with it. Are you saying not a single induction kit has correct MAF scaling ?. I tired a Revo kit back to back with the standard airbox and Revo make a big deal about MAF scaling. That too didn't drive as well as standard airbox.

I agree with you that having the turbo in the way of the inlet flow would mess with things compared to a NA engine. But from reading post after post and my own experience with the Revo kit there seems to be more too it. (Whatever the cause)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 07:23:45 am by Madone »

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2015, 07:38:29 am »

No

Nope you haven't. Dan fr has shown me a samco which said k04 and awesome said it wouldn't but after checking again after this post they said it would.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2015, 07:45:05 am »
Loss of torque during off boost driving, or delayed onset of boost (lag)? I noticed a delayed onset of boost and poor response from the turbo with different MAF pipes that I tried

MAF scaling in the software has to be matched to the intake. Revo software is calibrated to run the
Revo intake -  If you run the standard MAF housing (from the airbox) you end up with low readings and fuel trims of over 15%, along with poor response and drivability. Regardless of the size similarity, the readings are not the same when moving from an oval to a round intake, and with the MAF sensor positioned at different points in the intake (Central, or closer to the edge)

NO aftermarket intakes read the same as the original airbox, the issue is whether a tuner adjusts the MAF scaling for the intake (which is no mean feat). I don't know which other tuners do, and which do not.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2015, 07:46:08 am »
Think you're getting quotes mixed up.... It was me that wrote:

"I've already shown you the Forge offering which is the only aftermarket replacement unless you have the means to fabricate your own.

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2015, 08:58:28 am »
Dan fr. No look at madones post he quoted me and said that comment above. Plus you showed me a samco hose on awesomes webpage. No one has shown me a forge one.

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2015, 11:13:00 pm »
Ordered the samco one from awesome. 3-4wks wait.