Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG Slow Changes  (Read 7859 times)

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
DSG Slow Changes
« on: December 08, 2015, 11:27:05 am »
Not sure if this is normal, as it's my first time owning a DSG. When driving normally in D mode, the gear changes can be quite slowish. When pressing on it's not an issue, but the bit that concerns me is the way it engages when driving normally.

For example, when it goes from 2nd up to 3rd, there seem to be two drops in the revs. Almost as if the gearbox wasn't expecting the other gear to be so big? The disengagement is quick, but the second drop in the revs is on the slow side. Is this considered normal?

I'm tempted to do a DSG reset, but I'm afraid I'll bugger something up. Plus, getting straight onto the test drive routine wouldn't be possible without using the gearbox through town.
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9n0taae92q89rcbejhqhnddtum&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: DSG Slow Changes
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 11:59:30 am »
Its throttle position sensitive.

Less throttle - slower shifts
Full throttle - faster shifts

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 12:27:19 pm »
Follow the dsg adaption process if you're concerned, that should improve things.
But as rich said at full power it will change faster and slower at part throttle.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 12:57:04 pm »
I'm still adjusting to my DSG but you do have to drive with a heavier foot compared to a manual if you want it to shift quicker. It's programmed to think that if you're light on the throttle you want a comfy ride so the changes are slow to help make the ride smoother.

You can do a basic settings reset and then re-calibrate the DSG to try and improve things but having done that myself the differences are so minor it's not worth the trouble.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 04:04:48 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

After going for a blast without the spare on, I can confirm the box works perfectly. It's just a bit weird how it can be so slow at changing sometimes.

I'm still adjusting to my DSG but you do have to drive with a heavier foot compared to a manual if you want it to shift quicker. It's programmed to think that if you're light on the throttle you want a comfy ride so the changes are slow to help make the ride smoother.

You can do a basic settings reset and then re-calibrate the DSG to try and improve things but having done that myself the differences are so minor it's not worth the trouble.

Yep, I'm finding that it works very differently to a normal auto. I'm still getting used to it.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 06:39:21 pm »
A normal automatic works on fluid pressure being built up or reducing as the engine rotates faster or slower respectively. A DSG gearbox is completely different and is effectively 2 gearboxes in one. As you're in the odd numbered gears, the other clutch partially engages the even numbered gears so that there is less time wasted having to wait to spin up the next gears before engaging.

This is a very, very basic and crude explanation of a DSG box!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 07:04:20 pm »
In other words a sh*te dsg box with slow reaction times IMHO  :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9n0taae92q89rcbejhqhnddtum&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 12:21:11 am »

No.... Not sh*t.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 10:12:58 am »

No.... Not sh*t.
Is too  :P or is it just mine and the OP's only  :scared:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 10:17:38 am by r5gtt »

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 12:31:46 pm »
Yeah just yours mate....  :P

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 01:01:16 pm »
I've found that you really do have to drive with a heavier right foot in order for it to change at higher revs and quicker with the shifts between gears. If you want it sharper then you may want to consider a stage 1 DSG remap, they do make a hell of a difference, especially when giving it the beans.

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 01:08:52 pm »

No.... Not sh*t.

Just yours mate  :signLOL:

Mine is really fast, but as the3_f15t says, feathering the throttle leads to slow changes. Can't see why it can't make fast shifts at part throttle, they're very smooth anyway, slowing them down is just odd.

Perhaps it prevents unnecessary wear on the clutches?

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 01:14:13 pm »
And to reduce any jerk movements in the cabin as a quick shift with no enough torque from the engine will cause the car to shudder and jerk. Try changing gear at slow speeds in a manual and really letting off the clutch like you're driving flat out... You'll see why they programmed the DSG to be slower changing.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 01:43:33 pm »
Went to Rainham this morning and after the 50 average speed I decided to WOT and car didn't budge instantly as the dsg is slower on take off.

Up hills is slow and I've tried to reset the battery and drive like a looney but it's the same sluggish same.   :driver:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 02:03:20 pm »
I've found that you really do have to drive with a heavier right foot in order for it to change at higher revs and quicker with the shifts between gears. If you want it sharper then you may want to consider a stage 1 DSG remap, they do make a hell of a difference, especially when giving it the beans.
I agree with having to use a heavy foot but let's say I'm doing 50mph and decide I want to drop gears and or racing someone and need to move fast, this doesn't happen with the dsg so I'm guessing your right about the dsg map or else why did the have the option to map it?.

Thanks

M

No.... Not sh*t.

Just yours mate  :signLOL:

Mine is really fast, but as the3_f15t says, feathering the throttle leads to slow changes. Can't see why it can't make fast shifts at part throttle, they're very smooth anyway, slowing them down is just odd.

Perhaps it prevents unnecessary wear on the clutches?
I've driven a few gti dsg's before buying this gti and they all had the same drivability experience and gear changinf IMO.
In manual mode it's a much quicker response in gear change.

I didn't say the car itself is slow lol just the dsg box.  :P

Yes and slowing down is an awful experience as I found out today as the engine over revved like it was in the wrong gear which it was and that's probably what messes these cars up.

And to reduce any jerk movements in the cabin as a quick shift with no enough torque from the engine will cause the car to shudder and jerk. Try changing gear at slow speeds in a manual and really letting off the clutch like you're driving flat out... You'll see why they programmed the DSG to be slower changing.
Manual mode is excellent compared to auto that's for sure. paddles isn't as good as it's slow too.

Thanks

M
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 02:05:49 pm by r5gtt »