Make a donation

Author Topic: Steering knock?  (Read 3369 times)

Offline Edcase

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Steering knock?
« on: December 29, 2009, 03:34:59 pm »
Towards the end of my journey home last night, I was stationary in traffic and noticed a slight clunking when turning the steering wheel. Basically sitting stationary, turning the wheel left and right just a little (+/- 30 degrees each way) makes slight clunk from under the engine bay area which I can also just about feel through the steering. Seems to be more noticeable when the car is fully warmed - I couldn't notice it happening today on a short trip to the supermarket and back.

I don't believe this is the same as the issue reported on early cars regarding turning the steering fully left - it doesn't happen on full lock, only when the rack initially engages one way or another. However the car is MY05 with 70k on the clock.

Also does anybody else get a slight draught / wind noise from the drivers window / door?

thanks
Ed

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
Re: Steering knock?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 05:00:15 pm »
Same on mine, 05 plate GTI.

I thought my door must be out of shape as the wind noise is quite bad on the drivers side. I also noticed it in my colleauge's 58 plate tdi too, so it looks like these cars are not as well made as they should be!

The steering rack wears too quick on the mk5. Do a search on google. Mine is noisy when turning the wheel at any speed. I've got 63k on mine now.

Offline Edcase

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 05:05:32 pm »
Hmmm, so the steering is a 'quirk' rather than something dangerous which needs attention. I'm assuming there have been no reports of failures etc?

thanks
ed

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 05:08:54 pm »
I haven't heard of any failures, but there have been loads of people having steering racks replaced under warranty due to the noise. We're out of warranty now though  :sad1:

Offline sixpot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 06:50:35 pm »
I had the track control arms go on mine with  about 35k on the car!!, they were absolutely knackered! Simple test is to jack the front wheels off the ground and jiggle the wheel and tyre about and see if you can replicate the knocking noise (each side)
 I'd put money on it being the problem.

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 08:51:34 pm »
I got a noise every time I reversed and turned left out of my drive onto the road. I took it in to VW and explained that I only get the noise when I leave the driveway in reverse. They had a look and replaced the whole steering rack.