Make a donation

Author Topic: New front spoiler  (Read 6019 times)

Offline markos

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
New front spoiler
« on: December 09, 2015, 01:59:42 pm »
been thinking about getting one of these but not sure about the quality and fit... anyone bought one of these or anything similar?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK5-V-GTI-RG-look-Front-bumper-Lip-Splitter-Valance-Spoiler-/171989704462?hash=item280b629f0e:g:b9oAAOSw~bFWO3qC

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: New front spoiler
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 02:03:01 pm »
If its the fibre glass one in the pic then keep away from it as is will shatter

Offline MrBones

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 02:19:13 pm »
Looks good, but its fibreglass?

Offline markos

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 02:26:50 pm »
bugger, yep it's fibreglass!

that's a shame as i think it looks pretty awesome. i guess the more expensive ones will be a better material?

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 06:16:37 pm »
Yes ABS plastic is the way to go.
Don't touch the fibre rubbish as mentioned above.

M

Offline stuart-88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101197.0.html
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 10:20:15 pm »
Those splitters are huge too, so if you're lowered be mindful on what depth you get!

Instagram: stu_nc88

Offline markos

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 10:29:25 am »
cool, i'll make sure it's abs. we're not lowered yet but never say never  :grin:

what about one of these from poland?!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLF-V-5-MK5-GTI-EDITION-30-EDT30-FRONT-SPOILER-VALANCE-ABS-/171578195007?hash=item27f2db7c3f:g:ZFQAAOSwofxUiW8z

Offline MrBones

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 10:49:39 am »
It looks good to me, but you never know what your really going to get

I'm in the process of going through this myself, without someone saying yes I have this and it 's ok front bumper/splitter we are guessing and taking a chance

There must be someone on this site that has bought copies, and can advise us on the fitting and quality of these copies

Advice please anybody?

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 02:17:09 pm »
I bought a fibre glass body kit for my audi tt and it was horrendous with defects and the paint got sucked into the kit even after layers of primer and primer filler as there were a millions of tiny pin holes.

obviously it's not that lower lip but personally I would go there after that experience with that kit. Cost me £500 plus paint plus £350 painting and in the end I sold it for £275

Offline markos

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 03:34:19 pm »
I bought a fibre glass body kit for my audi tt and it was horrendous with defects and the paint got sucked into the kit even after layers of primer and primer filler as there were a millions of tiny pin holes.

obviously it's not that lower lip but personally I would go there after that experience with that kit. Cost me £500 plus paint plus £350 painting and in the end I sold it for £275

wow, that ended up being expensive mate! sorry to hear it didn't work... don't think i can risk that! i think that one from poland looks ok, at least it's ABS plastic and will take a primer and i think for £89 it's worth a risk!

i bought a third party grill form ebay because the old one got all grey and weathered and that was a very good match. it's a gamble i guess as Mr Bones said!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 04:02:26 pm »
Second worst purchase I ever made.  :sad1:

Abs plastic is good but fibre products is one thing I'll never buy again  :scared:

I'm lookimg to buy an ed30 abs lower splitter as they do look nice and make the car look a little lower on the front but if I can find a genuine one then that'll be better.

M

Offline stuart-88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101197.0.html
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 04:56:28 pm »
cool, i'll make sure it's abs. we're not lowered yet but never say never  :grin:

what about one of these from poland?!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLF-V-5-MK5-GTI-EDITION-30-EDT30-FRONT-SPOILER-VALANCE-ABS-/171578195007?hash=item27f2db7c3f:g:ZFQAAOSwofxUiW8z

Similar to my old one. Pretty good for the money. Took a bit of time lining up though, and never really sat 100% on one corner.

Instagram: stu_nc88

Offline fish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 05:01:44 pm »
Markos, I bought one of those (ABS plastic) from Poland last month! Came via UPS in just a few days. I am very happy with it to be honest, I have left it black so it matches the rest of the standard GTi trim, the texture of the plastic is not quite the same as the original, its smoother (probably would make it easier it you were painting it) and slightly 'blacker'. All said and and done though please don't expect it to be OEM - its not, but for the cost when fitted it does look good, definitely an improvement on the original.  Regarding fitting, I did have to make some small modifications to make it fit correctly. As it comes round each side and finishes at the bottom of the wheel arch it is made slightly too long (@ 10mm). I used some masking tape to follow the curve of the wheel arch and cut off the excess with a fine tooth hacksaw then sanded smooth with some wet n dry sandpaper. This is not essential but to me was necessary to make it look correct (and less like the after fit that it is!). Also one of the pre drilled holes underneath did not line up so I had to re-drill. I made an offer of £70 which was accepted. If I can suss how to upload some pics I will!
Cheers, Fish. :happy2:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 05:12:29 pm »
That's the other issue I totally forgot to mention, the amount of modifications trimming and cutting down with the garage to get it to fit properly was a joke. not saying the spoiler will be as bad but just saying.

M
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 05:59:57 pm by r5gtt »

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90767.0.html
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 05:43:15 pm »
Meh, I fitted mine without sanding down and it looks fine. I'll grab some pictures of it to show it isn't that bad.