Make a donation

Author Topic: Windscreen Issues  (Read 853 times)

Offline H18Golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
Windscreen Issues
« on: December 14, 2015, 01:22:20 pm »
I have owned my GTI now for over a year, and love it.

The only thing that annoys me about it is this time of year as my windscreen always mists up.  Anyway, last year it didn't do it too badly as the temperature where I live was never too cold.  Yesterday though we had our first frost and it was really bad. 

I could see at the very bottom middle of the windscreen that there are two areas where this starts, so must be a slight gap between the screen and sealant.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for stopping it misting up so badly?  I don't really want to go down the road of getting a new windscreen to be honest.

Thanks   :happy2:

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
Re: Windscreen Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 01:54:44 pm »
It's a combination of cold weather outside and moisture in your car.

Check firstly that you don't have any leaks but it's most likely just wet carpets each time you get in with wet boots from the rain.

Dry the interior window fully using a clean/dry microfibre and then apply about a teaspoon (per window) of fairy washing up liquid to a second dry/clean microfibre cloth and coat the interior window. Leave for about 3 mins and buff off with a third clean/dry microfibre until no residue remains.

Guarantee it'll stop it!

I explained it to my father that it builds a slightly hydrophobic coating so that condensate won't stick to the inside but he wouldn't believe me. To annoy him I only did one side of his car as comparison. Now he's driving around with half a steamed up window  :signLOL:

Offline H18Golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
Re: Windscreen Issues
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 02:15:16 pm »
Thanks for the reply Luke.  Will give this a shot.  Cheers  :happy2:

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You