Make a donation

Author Topic: Intermittent EPC warning causing limp mode  (Read 2232 times)

Offline gracehead

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Intermittent EPC warning causing limp mode
« on: December 13, 2015, 08:31:47 pm »
I have an intermittent EPC warning light that when illuminated only allows the car to operate in limp mode. When the light doesn't illuminate on start up the car drives perfectly. I have had an accompanying engine warning light with the code P2122 (throttle/pedal position sensor / switch D circuit low)  I've subsequently had a new accelerator pedal fitted but the fault re occurs. I'd appreciate any advice .... I have a 2005 Mk5 fsi Gti.

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
Re: Intermittent EPC warning causing limp mode
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 11:21:27 am »
This could well be your throttle body failing. It's a very common problem rectified by replacement. I've been through this myself.
This fault can cause seemingly unrelated warning lamps to illuminate. Although in reality when taking the complexity of the systems into account they are in fact related.

Who's doing the diagnostics for you? It's possible that they haven't interpreted the results correctly.

If it's a trader you can ask that your original parts be refitted and to use the labour cost already paid to implement a correct fix. You're not paying a professional to throw parts at your car while hoping for the best. They've not rectified the reported fault.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 11:29:00 am by flashp »

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 11:28:27 am »

If you stay off wide throttle / high revs does it help keep the limp from happening?

I had epc and hard limp and it was my throttle body. @vRSAlex  Fitted me a revision Q TB and it's been spot on since

Offline seiko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 11:48:18 am »
hi had this fault on my 05 gti replaced the throttle pedal, it was stil the same turned out to be a bad wire in the loom,

Offline gracehead

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 04:03:51 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys, would it be worth taking the throttle body off and giving it a good clean before I consider a new one ?

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 06:14:36 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys, would it be worth taking the throttle body off and giving it a good clean before I consider a new one ?
Probably not unfortunately.

Gone but not forgotten :-)