Make a donation

Author Topic: Oil pressure  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Andrew

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Oil pressure
« on: December 16, 2015, 10:30:03 pm »
Anybody have experience with the oil pressure warning, only happens when engine is sat at exactly 1500rpm, it has been happening for quite a while now with no running issues, no horrid noises and goes away once the revs are increased.

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Oil pressure
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 10:37:25 pm »
If I were you, before your engine goes pop. Get the oil strainer cleaned or replaced. Need to check engine oil pressure via vcds I'm guessing.  someone more in the know should be along to give you more scope on the issue. Maybe even warning you of a failing oil pump???

M

Offline Andrew

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 10:42:15 pm »
My worry is a failing pump, would expect it to be more sporadic though. Had alot of work done since I bought it, including taking the sump off and cleaning the pick up, there was nothing in it either. There is a strange humming which I have seen on a few A4's with the 2.0t, which came from a slightly collapsed oil filter, thats fridays job anyway

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 10:51:55 pm »
I'd personally not drive it as there have been many guys on the tt forum who've have engine failure due to oil warning light illuminating and thinking nothing of it.

As you've tried the oil pick up pipe. Next would be to renew the pump.  :happy2:

Offline Andrew

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 11:01:09 pm »
Its an expensive job for a tempermental car that already has thousands in it, I'm gonna try the sender too seen as though they are dirt cheap. Wish I never got it in alot of ways, weak engines!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 11:19:42 pm »
Its an expensive job for a tempermental car that already has thousands in it, I'm gonna try the sender too seen as though they are dirt cheap. Wish I never got it in alot of ways, weak engines!
Yeah the mk1 tt engine is bullet proof if treated with tlc where as the tfsi engine rattles like a taxi cab.

I personally think I spent £6850 on a bag of shi** with 70k miles on it.  :laugh:

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 11:26:28 pm »

Have to total disagree with the weak engines part, that they are not in my eyes, in most case they run like clock work yes not the best sounding engine at idle and the Cam follower etc but a cared for 2.0 tfsi is bomb proof and loves to be tuned and can take it very well. I'm on my second 2.0 tfsi powered car and do the basics service stuff and I've never ever had a single engine problem over the years.

People moan but why not change all the common issues when they buy a car, me I serviced them, cam follower, pvc, DV, pick up pipe changed (both times they been spotless) timing belt and that's all the common things done and you have piece of mind. Find me a engine without issues? Not many at all.

Offline Andrew

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 11:31:09 pm »
I fitted coils, plugs, dv, pcv all preventative when I got the car, followed by a catastrophic failure if the cam follower after about a week of owning, hpfp, inlet cam, timing chain, tensioner & adjuster all replaced. Not long after the valve timing system started playing up (this has also went twice), top mount disintegrated when changing springs and now my downpipe has cracked right at the turbo too. Been a headache from the start and only owned it 6 months!

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 11:34:33 pm »
Like I said in general they are great but with anything there is crap out there, some cars are never right from the factory and you never know how a car was truly treat by it last owner.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 11:34:51 pm »
 :surprised: what mileage you on?.

Chris92 is right in a way, you get some really good ones and very badly looked aftered ones too.

M

Offline Andrew

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 11:40:32 pm »
All I had read was good things about them which is why I went for it. Has 130k now but got a decent deal, it has a massive folder of reciepts and fvwsh, should have been no worries. Now on all pages I read and forums, there are repeated issues

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 12:05:40 am »
Mate, I'll be honest with you. With that kind of mileage your going have more problem than you bargained for as it's a mega high miler. I sold my tt at 149k and the engine was still quieter than the average 70k milers. someone just battered your one to its death before selling it. I got my tt at 100k miles and even then I wasn't worried as I knew what I was buying with no receipts but the oil and filter change it had and a set of wipers which some sad low life removed just before collection. ABS light illuminated on the way home 90miles trip and the trader said he nkew nothing about the hidden traction control light and smaller dash abs warning light.
I got home I found the abs pump module smashed but made the trader give me £700 quid back for that and the wheel bearing he never had replaced.

Offline topdawg

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 12:33:00 am »
30 odd thousand trouble free miles  :happy2: :laugh: :driver:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 12:49:28 am »
30 odd thousand trouble free miles  :happy2: :laugh: :driver:
Your a lucky one  :grin: I've only done 3k since ownership in Jan 2015 :laugh: :driver:

Offline Andrew

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 12:51:35 am »
Just done a bit of hunting with the oil pump situation and to be honest, if I can find a lower mileage car that is up for breaking, I don't think the swap would be too much of an issue (my cousin is a mechanic who gives me massive help), think this would give me peace of mind atleast, can't seem to find a brand new unit anywhere