Make a donation

Author Topic: Millers nano drive tappet noise  (Read 2650 times)

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
Millers nano drive tappet noise
« on: December 23, 2015, 09:46:46 am »
I have switched oil to millers nano drive 0w 40 and occasionally notice a slight tappet noise on very cold start up, I.e. Frosty morning. Only lasts about a second, maybe less, and doesn't do it every time.. Guessing the nano drive is slightly thicker cold even though both rated at 0w. No tapping at all after that initial second or so, and as I said doesn't do it every time. Anyone else noticed anything ?  It's def a very slight tappet type noise

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=db3enu6ma0pq014jbj91hj4fsr&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Millers nano drive tappet noise
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 09:58:48 am »
Nanodrive is 5w40

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 10:07:32 am »
Sorry, yes, 5-40, oem is 5-30, so they should both (in theory) be the same thickness at cold.

I am not sure the noise isn't just the hpfp building pressure, it can't be heard from inside the car, and I have to listen for it outside, then it's intermittent and only lasts a tiny amount of time. The engine is pretty much silky smooth from then on, much quieter than most others I have heard, very quiet when warm too.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 03:27:55 pm »
Momentary lack of pressure in the chain tensioner?  I've never heard 'tappet' noises from any of the roller follower engines VW make, such as the TFSI and R32.  They can clatter a little until the chain tensioner builds up enough pressure.  That can suggest a slight increase in oil thickness.

Ideally you need the spec sheets of both the Nanodrive and the standard oil and see what the cst numbers are at various temps.  So long as the noise goes, which it does, I wouldn't worry about it.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 04:17:11 pm »
Thanks mate, yea it goes within a second, and my Mrs couldn't even hear it, you know what it's like when you tune into a sound. Just started it again from cold and no noise. As you say, the oil could be slightly thicker on these colder days. As the engine is whisper quiet at all other times, in fact the quietest tfsi I have heard.

Interestingly it doesn't burn any oil with the nanodrive, it burnt a small amount on the oem, so again indicating a slightly thicker oil.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 04:26:20 pm »
My ED30 very occasionally makes a clatter when it fires up then goes quiet immediately, must be like, half a second.   Been doing that for over a year and I ignore it!  I just put it down to the chain tensioner.  I think all the chain gear needs doing on mine as it's sounding a bit diesely when hot, but I can't be bothered  :smiley:

Good to hear the Nano stuff is making it quiet and reducing consumption, always a good thing on these engines  :happy2:  5/30 is OK when new but as the engine starts wearing out, 5/40 is probably a wise move!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 04:31:10 pm »
Sounds like the same thing your car is doing, good to hear  :happy2:

The consumption has pretty much stopped all together on the nano drive !, so that's a result. Will be interested to see the state of the fuel pump follower the next time I check it. Many have reported reduced wear on that too. Can't say I've noticed any extra performance with the new oil (like some magazine reviews mentio), but tbh a stage 2+ eddy is so fast anyway, another few bhp could get missed  :laugh: