Make a donation

Author Topic: Attempted Theft  (Read 4005 times)

Offline zayd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Attempted Theft
« on: December 27, 2015, 01:34:46 am »
Fellow forum folk, I was the victim of an attempted car theft last night.  A night where most towns, up and down the land, stood still and silent and so these callous creatures struck.  I was at work, as I work for the railways, when 2 thieves attempted to steal my beloved GTI.  They used some sort of long pry bar and bent the glossy metal trim at the left side of the driver window.  They then used this to get a grip on the window and pulled it right out and placed it carefully inside my neighbours front garden.  Bizarrely, one of them then lent in and opened the bonnet using the latch.  Only then did my alarm go off and they did a runner.

How, you may ask, am I able to tell this story with such details.  It was because my next door neighbour recently installed an expensive HD CCTV system after being burgled and he caught the whole incident on camera.  Even their faces can be made out.

My car was a minter and you can well appreciate how angry I'm feeling, but hopefully they'll face justice soon, as we will hand over the footage to the police. 

I was able to follow a guide and install the window back inside after taking off the outer door skin.  I'll need the door repainting, as they dented and scratched in places and a new top rubber seal and gloss trim. 

Only thing is they made the bonnet release handle loose.  Does anyone know how to fix this.

I'm bemused as to how they intended to steal the car without keys as I thought the security on these was very good.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 01:37:43 am by zayd »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Attempted Theft
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 02:24:25 am »
sorry to hear this mate hopefully get repaired soon--Least you got them on cctv

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 67
  • Instagram & YouTube - mateyguv
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69555.0.html
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 09:02:20 am »
That's really awful mate, hope you get it sorted and back to its former glory soon.
Maybe worth posting a picture of their faces if you can get a good one - crime watch style

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 09:40:23 am »
Sorry to hear this man,  it's not the first time this has happened to you as well.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 09:41:10 am »
New keys can be programmed via OBD very quickly and easily unfortunately, though I'm not sure why they'd need the bonnet open.

Sorry to hear about it anyway, scum...... Nothing more. They should have been swallowed  :signLOL:
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=gh3kjhct70ndqknnqf3qi737f9&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 10:06:01 am »
Fellow forum folk, I was the victim of an attempted car theft last night.  A night where most towns, up and down the land, stood still and silent and so these callous creatures struck.  I was at work, as I work for the railways, when 2 thieves attempted to steal my beloved GTI.  They used some sort of long pry bar and bent the glossy metal trim at the left side of the driver window.  They then used this to get a grip on the window and pulled it right out and placed it carefully inside my neighbours front garden.  Bizarrely, one of them then lent in and opened the bonnet using the latch.  Only then did my alarm go off and they did a runner.

How, you may ask, am I able to tell this story with such details.  It was because my next door neighbour recently installed an expensive HD CCTV system after being burgled and he caught the whole incident on camera.  Even their faces can be made out.

My car was a minter and you can well appreciate how angry I'm feeling, but hopefully they'll face justice soon, as we will hand over the footage to the police. 

I was able to follow a guide and install the window back inside after taking off the outer door skin.  I'll need the door repainting, as they dented and scratched in places and a new top rubber seal and gloss trim. 

Only thing is they made the bonnet release handle loose.  Does anyone know how to fix this.

I'm bemused as to how they intended to steal the car without keys as I thought the security on these was very good.
Hopefully they can catch these ****s. And not too much damage has been done.

New keys can be programmed via OBD very quickly and easily unfortunately, though I'm not sure why they'd need the bonnet open.

Sorry to hear about it anyway, scum...... Nothing more. They should have been swallowed  :signLOL:
I have a spare key which starts the car but then gets cut out by the immobiliser. I was told the only way to sort this is at the dealers. So how can thieves get around this? I refuse to pay €70 to program a key.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 12:14:21 pm »
Professional thieves will have the proper kit costing a few thousand and they can program keyss in seconds. You wont have any option other than to pay to have it done
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline prp74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 01:20:16 pm »
Sorry to hear about this. Hope they catch the scumbags!
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline beetie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 08:19:57 pm »
Interior bonnet handle can be re-tightened. Just take the kick panel off and you'll see the screw

Offline zayd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 11:48:43 pm »
Are you referring to the screw that's underneath the handle, which is also under a plug?

If you are, then I can just tighten this by removing the handle.

Offline zayd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 08:09:37 am »
I think the handle is meant to have a bit of give, as it comes out of its recess when you pull it to pop the bonnet.

After mulling this episode over, I think the thieves were after parts from the engine bay. I know that this is quite a regular thing now, with the parts ending up on the criminal marketplace, eBay.

Offline beetie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 11:55:04 am »
If you take the kick panel off,  the handle is held on by a screw. Tighten the screw to make the handle feel like it's not going to fall off.
Hope you can get it all sorted, horrible thing to happen. Never mind at this time of year

Offline zayd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 03:56:20 pm »
Interior bonnet handle can be re-tightened. Just take the kick panel off and you'll see the screw

You were right. I just wasn't happy with how much play there was in the handle and after taking off all the associated panels etc. There was a torx screw to tighten. No more play.  I suggest if anyone else has a handle with excess play, you do the same before it snaps off!