Make a donation

Author Topic: Snooker  (Read 3505 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Snooker
« on: January 05, 2016, 06:44:24 pm »
Anyone here play / a fan of the game?

Been a big fan since I was a kid in the late 80s, grew up watching Davis and then witnessed Hendry and Ronnie come on the scene and blow people away.

I get down the club for a knock as much as I can, although I'm a bit inconsistent these days. Had my best break, a 65, about ten years ago. Only really make the odd 40 now but I still love the game just as much, if not more. It can be cruel and frustrating but rewarding and damn enjoyable on the same day.

The Masters is coming up on Sunday and I'll be watching the lot!

Any other snooker geeks on here then?

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 25
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95928.60.html
Re: Snooker
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 06:58:42 pm »
Wouldn't class myself as a snooker geek but when it's on I watch it  :happy2:
We did have a full size snooker table but just done a lot of work to the house and sold it and got a pool table now.
I prefer snooker tbh but you need to practice to get good at it to enjoy it. It's no fun when you can't get a run together and it takes you all day to play 1 frame

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 07:55:19 pm »
That's true, it can be so demoralising when you're off your game. I think that's part of what I like about it - it's such a tough, skillful sport that when you do manage to string a decent break together it makes it all the sweeter!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 07:57:19 pm »
And even a bad few days at snooker makes you quite dangerous down the boozer playing pool..

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 10:30:56 pm »
i do enjoy it though. I think its a good sport to watch too but my mrs tells me different lol much rather watch snooker than cricket or tennis  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 10:42:00 pm »
It's mesmerising to watch if you're half-good at the game, because you realise just how good the pros are.

Always makes me laugh - year on year down at the club just after the world champs finishes these new fresh faces turn up, banging balls about, and potting nothing, undoubtedly after watching the likes of O'Sullivan and getting it in their head that it's as easy as he makes it look!

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 11:33:52 pm »
It's mesmerising to watch if you're half-good at the game, because you realise just how good the pros are.

Always makes me laugh - year on year down at the club just after the world champs finishes these new fresh faces turn up, banging balls about, and potting nothing, undoubtedly after watching the likes of O'Sullivan and getting it in their head that it's as easy as he makes it look!

yeh they make it look so easy and make the table look really small! a lot of my friends go to a pool club and are good at pool but crap at snooker. because the table is so big and long your angles have to be perfect. and pockets are usually much tighter on a snooker table.

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 01:43:36 pm »
Its a load of balls :evilgrin:

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 41
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 01:37:29 pm »
Nice random thread AJP - a bit different than talking about cars.

I also grew up in the 80s but properly got into snooker in the 90s (the Hendry years). And I've loved it ever since. Never been a player though, as I'm pretty awful at it.

Also looking forward to the Masters - it is usually my peace time in front of the box for several days and I don't get disturbed.

Do you know if O'Sullivan is playing this year - can't recall seeing him at all last year in any of the tournaments.

Watch this video to get you in the mood:-

Classic O'Sullivan  :smiley:
Previous motors (in order of succession since 1994):-

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
VW Corrado G60 Supercharged
Volvo C70 2.0 Turbo Convertible
Audi TT MK1 1.8T quattro (225)
Mercedes CLS 320 V6
Audi TT MK1 3.2 V6 Quattro
Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Quattro
VW Golf MK5 GTi 2.0 Turbo

Offline jayha11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97064.0.html
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 02:30:33 pm »
My dad used to own a snooker club so I used to go frequently. My practice was more in vain as I could never get past the 30-40 breaks but enjoyed it. Managed to get down the Cruciable last year to witness Shaun Murphy destroy Barry Hawkins.
Mk5 GTI > S3 8P > Cupra 300 > Cupra 290 > Mk5 R32

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 07:05:51 pm »
Nice random thread AJP - a bit different than talking about cars.

I also grew up in the 80s but properly got into snooker in the 90s (the Hendry years). And I've loved it ever since. Never been a player though, as I'm pretty awful at it.

Also looking forward to the Masters - it is usually my peace time in front of the box for several days and I don't get disturbed.

Do you know if O'Sullivan is playing this year - can't recall seeing him at all last year in any of the tournaments.

Watch this video to get you in the mood:-

Classic O'Sullivan  :smiley:
Yeah Ronnie is playing Mark Williams on Tuesday afternoon in the Masters. It's his first competitive tournament since the World Champs in April - he's been doing the odd exhibition since then (including my local club a few months ago) and he's been playing in the untelevised Champs League very recently, and playing very well from what I've heard!

It'll be great to watch him play again. I've seen him at the Crucible a couple of times, which was good, but there's nothing quite like putting your feet up at home in front of the snooker for a week or two with a beer/cup of tea/whatever. I find it therapeutic! And the seats at the Crucible are horrible if you're anywhere near six foot!

Probably sounds a bit sad but somewhere along the way I got truly hooked on the game. Love it!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 07:06:59 pm »
Oh and that 5:20 max... it's still amazing every time you watch it!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 41
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 08:04:35 pm »
I eagerly await Tuesday's match in that case......
Previous motors (in order of succession since 1994):-

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
VW Corrado G60 Supercharged
Volvo C70 2.0 Turbo Convertible
Audi TT MK1 1.8T quattro (225)
Mercedes CLS 320 V6
Audi TT MK1 3.2 V6 Quattro
Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Quattro
VW Golf MK5 GTi 2.0 Turbo

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 08:24:20 pm »
Yeah it's always special watching Ronnie. Maybe even more now that some sort of real decline in form can't be far away unfortunately. Amazing to be playing at the top of the game at 40 years old. And duly recognised with an OBE in the new year.

I've got the week off work so I'll be creating a big dent in the sofa and enjoying the whole tournament!