Make a donation

Author Topic: Grey GTI Wheel Refurb - Looking for Advice  (Read 3252 times)

Offline H18Golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
Grey GTI Wheel Refurb - Looking for Advice
« on: January 06, 2016, 02:13:02 pm »
I'm looking to get my wheels refurbed once the weather gets a bit better and there isn't as much cr@p on the roads.

I have a grey GTi which has had the wheels powder coated by the previous owner.  Unfortunately my mechanic scuffed a wheel, that along with a couple of areas I didn't think were finished that well has made up my mind to have them powder coated again.

I would love to have the wheels the original diamond cut finish, but cost along with the returning dreaded white worm has convinced me to go for powder coat again.

My question is, what colours have other owners of grey GTi's gone for?  Paint codes and photos or links etc would be great.

Thanks for your help.   :happy2:

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
Re: Grey GTI Wheel Refurb - Looking for Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 02:19:57 pm »
I think I'll go for diamond coat again.. Took about 2 years for white worm to show up! Looks so much better.....

Offline H18Golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 09:18:46 am »
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately due to finances I will need to go down the powder coating route and try and get something I am happy with.

If anyone who has done similar can give some information that would be great, thanks.   :smiley:

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 10:16:14 am »
In that case, I also had them stripped down to clear white worm. I then had the inserts painted grey to almost colour match my steel grey GTI whilst painting the faces a very clear (almost diamond cut) silver before lacquering 3 times.

This is my painted wheel (not diamond cut). Disregard small scuff! These were painted maybe 18months before that photo was taken.

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 10:25:37 am »
I recently had a set painted in audi titanium (paint code L8AU) and sold them on the forum. Thought they looked fantastic, and only sold them as the Mrs really wanted different wheels on the car (she drives it mostly).

Not sure how they'd look on a grey car though?

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Offline H18Golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 12:08:03 pm »
Sorry to bump an old thread but I am now at the point where I am going to get the wheels done.  Does anyone else have any other suggestions, paint codes, photos etc?

As always, thanks for the help.   :happy2:

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 12:14:12 pm »
If you do get them done silver, I think they look awesome with black inserts. I have pics in my build thread if you want to see before I swapped my wheels for pescaras (although mine were refurbished diamond cut - you get the idea)

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96108.0.html

Waynedavey

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 12:40:02 pm »
Ive just had 2 done due to the wife wanting to mount the kerb outside the house, I use a company called Alloy Art they are based in Rochford in essex, they are very good and fast too, they will dip the wheel and weld any damage. their email address is sales@alloyart.co.uk. 01702 542124. mine were £70 a wheel.