Make a donation

Author Topic: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 coming soon  (Read 37724 times)

Offline david25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 coming soon
« on: January 06, 2016, 07:50:10 pm »
Goodyear's answer to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and Continental Sport Contact 6 is finally here, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3!

While we've not yet had the chance to drive on it, the independent German test body TUV have done their usual array of tests, and found that the new Goodyear has 2.6 metres shorter wet braking (9% better performance) and 1.3 metres shorter dry braking (4% better performance) than the average of the Michelin Pilot Sport 3, Bridgestone Potenza S001 and Continental Sport Contact 5.

This is a tyre we're very excited about, so you can be sure we'll be reporting on the driving experience at the first opportunity.

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 will be sold in 17 to 20 inches, covering 41 sizes. The tyre will be on the market in certain sizes now, with the majority of sizes on sale by March 2016.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Goodyear-Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-3-Press-Release.htm

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 coming soon
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 11:28:44 pm »
Really interesting, was wondering when a replacement would come for the 2.
A good tyre and to be fair still pretty good in it's class.
I think tyre technology has reached somewhat of a plateau now, to be honest in the real world i can't see these being any better than any of the other "decent" tyres

(note the report gives increases over "average" within the group!)

still sticking with michelin pss as my next tyre in 245/40.

Offline PM30S

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • Edition 30 Revo Stage 2+
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 04:43:19 am »
Agreed that may be better than the prior model.

However I have always stuck to Michelins for my cars and don't think I'll ever change.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 07:40:29 am »
I'm a fan of the Asy2 simply as it's a great all rounder. My car is a family car so I've not been that keen to try the PSS. The wet grip from the Asy2 is pretty good, so I'm looking forward to trying these
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline petesimcock

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 07:43:49 am »
I will be interested to see the price that these are more than anything. I love my eagle f1s but wouldn't want to pay much more than I do at the minute per corner

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 09:21:28 am »
Thanks for posting this!

I'm a big fan of the Eagle F1's and have run them on several cars. I recently switched to conti sportcontact 5's on one on set of wheels, and they grip very well but seem to tramline like a mofo. Haven't tried pilotsports but hear great things.

I'll be interested in the F1 3's, but also interested to see if prices of the F1 2's fall as a result. Already good value IMO (I usually get tyres from camskill, mytyres or tyreleader)

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 10:23:09 am »
Interesting.  Very similar tread pattern to the Contisport 5.  Not a huge fan of the assy 2s tbh. They grip OK but it's just the steering feel. Nothing like as positive as Pilot Sports.  I hope the assy 3s are an improvement in that area.

Thanks for posting this!

I'm a big fan of the Eagle F1's and have run them on several cars. I recently switched to conti sportcontact 5's on one on set of wheels, and they grip very well but seem to tramline like a mofo. Haven't tried pilotsports but hear great things.

Interestingly enough, I find the assy 2s do the same on my ED30 (and my R32 prior).  Once they hit 4mm (half worn), the tramlining gets really bad the more it wears.  It might just be typical of that kind of tread pattern.  It's why the Conti sports have always had the plain centre band to improve straight line stability, but if people over inflate their rubber, that centre band wears away. 

The only tyres I've used that stay consistent from new to bald are Bridgestone.  Something to do with their dual compound.  Gets softer the more it wears to combat heat cycling induced rubber hardening.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 10:24:33 am »
I need some new tyres and off the back of this went looking.
It was probably going to be PS3's but MyTyres have Michelin PS4's listed so I'm going to give them a whirl. The Eagle F1 3's are also available.

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 12:15:44 pm »
Will def consider these for my next tyre depending on price

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 01:53:34 pm »
I have had assy 2's and sport contact 5's, I would rate the Goodyear's over the continental's, however, I did find that the Goodyear's grip level dropped dramatically below 4mm, and the continentals I have on just now have just about hit 4mm and they seem to be struggling too, however, with the colder weather, it may be that causing this. I would be interested to see how bridgestones stack up if they seem to grip well right up to their death bed, as I can get them pretty cheap too, rather than pss

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 02:10:35 pm »
Any idea on release date?

My thread's are bordering illegal!

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 02:39:40 pm »
I have had assy 2's and sport contact 5's, I would rate the Goodyear's over the continental's, however, I did find that the Goodyear's grip level dropped dramatically below 4mm, and the continentals I have on just now have just about hit 4mm and they seem to be struggling too, however, with the colder weather, it may be that causing this. I would be interested to see how bridgestones stack up if they seem to grip well right up to their death bed, as I can get them pretty cheap too, rather than pss
I've had Asys 2's bellow 2 mm (17'' wheels) and they kept performing well, even after ~50k miles of use (mostly in the rear axle). Replaced with the same tyres, just for safety issues, but I never felt my rear slip.

I have new Continental SC5's in my Ed. 30 (18'' wheel) that I'm enjoying as well. Still soon to see how long they will last.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 02:45:15 pm »
I need some new tyres and off the back of this went looking.
It was probably going to be PS3's but MyTyres have Michelin PS4's listed so I'm going to give them a whirl. The Eagle F1 3's are also available.

Very limited info on the Michelin PS4, didnt even know they released it!!!

Will still stick to the PSS for what I can see and read and people have told me they perform just as well in the wet but better in the dry.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&typ=R-300283&partner=1&ID=froogle
Basically the same price as the Pilot Super Sport. £9 difference on that site.

Would really like to try the Pirelli Trofeo R but pointless for me, £250 per corner to sit on the motorway for 80% of it's time!

Disappointed to find the Conti Sport contact 5/6 thing isn't available in 18s.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 05:01:47 pm »

Normal tyres lose a lot traction below 8 deg.  The rubber gets hard, so loses a lot of it's pliability to grip onto the road surface.  That's where winter tyres come in handy.  MUCH softer compound.

The bridgestones I tried that felt same new > bald were RE720, RE050A and the SO2 if it helps.   Stiff sidewalls too, so great for cornering feel, but at the expense of ride quality.   Contis and the F1s are a bit more forgiving.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline david25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 05:20:48 pm »