Make a donation

Author Topic: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 coming soon  (Read 37728 times)

Offline david25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 coming soon
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 09:01:38 am »
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - Press Release

With the Continental Sport Contact 6 already launched, and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 announced, 2016 is shaping up to be a really exciting year for performance tyres.

Next up, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4. Many people felt the Pilot Sport name lost its direction as the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 didn't replace the Pilot Sport 2, but the slightly more touring bias Pilot Exalto 2. The true replacement for the Pilot Sport 2 came in the shape of the well regarded Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

With the launch of the Pilot Sport 4, Michelin are aiming to get the Pilot Sport name back on track. The new tyre borrows lessons learnt from both the Pilot Super Sport, and Michelins involvement with the Formula E race series. This has resulted in a tyre which has a much more performance focus than the Pilot Sport 3, but still retails excellent tread life, a strong wet performance and the good levels of comfort we've come to expect from a premium tyre.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-4-Press-Release.htm

Offline fairladyx

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0

Liam0205

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 03:28:50 pm »
Has anyone gone for the PS4s yet?

Tyre leader selling them for 90 quid a corner compared with the PSS at nearly 110

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres-225-40-18-0-Y/?m%5B4%5D=on

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 11
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92146.0.html
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 06:25:38 pm »
Really keen to try these and compare to my Goodys Asym 2. I've run about 6K on my current tyres so a change will be due sometime towards the end of this year or next.
However as one of the above ^^ posts mentioned, these new Asym 3s' are bledy cheap at the moment! At least compared to my current Asym 2s where I remember paying about £101 per tyre!

Here's a linky: http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=47605357.110.16549&Breite=225&Quer=40&Felge=18&Speed=&Load=92&kategorie=6&Marke=Goodyear&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&Herst=Goodyear&m_s=3&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&filter_preis_bis=&filter_preis_von=&homologation=&search_tool=standard&Label=C-A-67-1&details=Ordern&typ=R-281967#

Wonder if they'll honour the price and actually have stock should I place an order. Mytyres.co.uk is actually run by a German firm called Delti.

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 06:48:50 pm »
Ive had them on for 2 days, done 450 mile trip in them today in a mix of dry and wet driving. Really quiet and smooth, grips really well in the wet

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 11
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92146.0.html
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 06:51:01 pm »
Really quiet and smooth, grips really well in the wet

Good to know mate!  :happy2:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 07:23:00 pm »
Ive had them on for 2 days, done 450 mile trip in them today in a mix of dry and wet driving. Really quiet and smooth, grips really well in the wet

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
I wish I had those available when I had to replace Asys 2 in my GT Sport. Good to know they please you. :happy2:

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 07:24:05 pm »
 :happy2:

Defo getting some of these come April  :smiley:

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
  • Life is not a straight line!
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 08:14:42 pm »
If i can't get any more GSD 3's i'm going to go for these on the rear to replace the p-zero's when i get the car back next week...:)

I'm getting annoyed with just 3 cylinders now!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 08:17:16 pm by Greenman »
Steel Grey 2006 Mk5 GTI - R-TECH Stage 1 (268bhp/334ftlb) - BCS Cat Back - Pre-Cat Delete - Carbonio Panel Filter - Rev G DV - 18" BBS CH - Leather - RNS510 - Colour Coded Bumpers and Skirts - ED30 Front Splitter - Eibach Sportlines - Open Fog Grilles - Wind Deflectors.

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97534.0.html
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 08:27:01 pm »
Definitely going to look into these around March/April time. Think I'll be buying whichever is cheapest at the time between these and Michelins

Offline loop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2016, 02:33:59 am »
Will it be ok to mix f1 2s and 3s? I have 2s on front but crappy Nexens on rear, don't know whether to get asy 2s all round or try the 3s on rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
‘05 GT, Retrofits: RNS 510 DAB+, R32 Highline Cluster, R32 MFSW, Mk6 Reversing Camera, 7P6 Bluetooth, TPMS, Cruise Control, VW MDI, Chrome switches, Blaupunkt THA 475 amp.

Offline welikeaps

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2016, 10:15:46 am »
Will it be ok to mix f1 2s and 3s? I have 2s on front but crappy Nexens on rear, don't know whether to get asy 2s all round or try the 3s on rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyres can be mixed so long as its not cross axle, so yes you could run v2s on the front and v3s on the rear or vice versa

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 07:25:31 pm »
Original post rearranged for clarity.  :P

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Goodyear-Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-3-Press-Release.htm
Quote from: TyreReviews.co.uk 'press release' article on the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3
"Goodyear's answer to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and Continental Sport Contact 6 is finally here, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3!

While we've not yet had the chance to drive on it, the independent German test body TUV have done their usual array of tests, and found that the new Goodyear has 2.6 metres shorter wet braking (9% better performance) and 1.3 metres shorter dry braking (4% better performance) than the average of the Michelin Pilot Sport 3, Bridgestone Potenza S001 and Continental Sport Contact 5.

This is a tyre we're very excited about, so you can be sure we'll be reporting on the driving experience at the first opportunity.

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 will be sold in 17 to 20 inches, covering 41 sizes. The tyre will be on the market in certain sizes now, with the majority of sizes on sale by March 2016."

Does TyreReviews.co.uk not actually understand that the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (the competitor tyre actually tested by Goodyear Dunlop) is a VERY different tyre to the ultra high performance Michelin Pilot Super Sport (as quoted in their opening sentence)?  :stupid:

For the record, Goodyear will NEVER make a tyre to either beat, or be in direct competition with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.  The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 will never get anywhere near matching the Mich Pilot Super Sport.  I strongly doubt that it will even be a match for the ageing, yet still highly competent Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.  Frankly, neither Goodyear, nor Dunlop have the ability to make a genuine 'ultra high performance' tyre.  They both simply follow where others have already been!

OK, to compare the GY Eagle F1 Asmm 3 against the Mich Pilot Sport 3 (which itself was designed to replace the softer Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2, and never to replace the Pilot Sport PS2) - that would be a much more realistic and appropriate comparison.  And it was the Mich Pilot Sport 3 which was in the TuV tests requested by Goodyear.  Staying with the specific test, the Continental SportContact 5 isn't really an appropriate tyre to pit against either the Michelin, nor the 'desired' market sector which Goodyear are targeting.  And my final comment on the actual test - whilst we all no doubt love and adore our Golfs, and are impressed by the handling and general performance of said Golfs - especially in GIT or R guise - any sane person who tries to describe any Golf as an 'ultra high performance' car is severely off their rocker!  :scared:

But yet again, the real crux is that Goodyear are feeding seriously flawed data to frankly gullible 'press' sites such as TyreReviews.co.uk - by stating single entry data for the Goodyear tyre - and comparing that to an aggregated and combined data of three very different tyres!  Cooking the books - me thinks.  :fighting:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 08:45:22 pm »
@Teutonic_Tamer

Aren't the Continental SC5, the Michelin PS3 and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asys 2 in the same class? At least price wise they are...

The selection of competitors doesn't seem "cooked" to me. The Asys 3 should be better than the previous tyres, just like I expect the Continental SC6 and Michelin PS4 to be better as well. :smiley:

Offline Jay_ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 09:09:23 pm »
I've just fitted 2 of these to the front of my ed30 after using vredestein ultrac sessanta which where good to start with but where awful the last 1000 miles. The car had michelin ps3 before them which I never really rated in the wet and thought the sidewalls where really soft but where a great tyre in the dry. To early to compare as of yet but can already say they seem better in the wet/damp compared to the previous 2 and are a lot quieter.

sent from my galaxy s6