Make a donation

Author Topic: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 coming soon  (Read 37717 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 coming soon
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 09:20:05 pm »
Normal tyres lose a lot traction below 8 deg.
Wrong on two counts.  Firstly "normal" as you state, but summer tyres as they are correctly described as - do NOT "lose a lot traction below . . . "; sure, they do loose a small amount of grip - but this loss of grip is totally manageable, and is consistent across the tyre pool.  Secondly, the specific temperature tyres start to marginally loose grip is below 6 degrees celsius.

The rubber gets hard, so loses a lot of it's pliability to grip onto the road surface.
More rubbish!  Rubber never gets "hard" - rubber always retains a degree of elasticity.  Even in temperatures in double-digits below freezing, summer tyre tread 'rubber' will always be elastic and therefore flexible - and will always maintain the vast majority of its "pliability", and grip on the road surface.

That's where winter tyres come in handy.
There is no doubt that winter tyres might be handy, but realistically, unless you are wintering in the highlands of Scotland, winter tyres are really not needed in English and Welsh winters.

MUCH softer compound.
Pure, utter BS.  A genuine winter tyre is a very different beast - in all attributes, compared to summer tyres.  There is little actual difference in rubber compound between summer and winter tyres.

The bridgestones I tried that felt same new > bald were RE720, RE050A and the SO2 if it helps.   Stiff sidewalls too, so great for cornering feel, but at the expense of ride quality.   Contis and the F1s are a bit more forgiving.
Erm, Contis well-known for having the very stiffest of sidewalls.  It is the rock-solid stability as a result of their stiff sidewalls that makes Contis utterly superb tyres on large uber saloons belting along the autobahns at v-max!  However, at the opposite end of the stability spectrum, both Goodyear and Pirelli are well known for producing tyres with very weak carcasses, which frankly give a very sphincter-relaxing unstable ride at three-digit speeds.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 09:28:12 pm »
^ worth reading, especially for the last sentence.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 09:42:14 pm »
If i can't get any more GSD 3's i'm going to go for these on the rear to replace the p-zero's when i get the car back next week...:)
Why on earth do you still want the frankly Jurassic Goodyear GSD3s?  :sick:
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=man4mqrbbbu3jos2l5r30n8s7j&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 09:46:53 pm »
Supersports are fantastic. Goodyears sidewalls are soft. They grip yes, but they make the car feel horrid

Liam0205

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 09:47:31 pm »
Anyone tried the PS4s yet?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=man4mqrbbbu3jos2l5r30n8s7j&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2016, 09:49:59 pm »

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2016, 10:00:23 pm »
@Teutonic_Tamer

Aren't the Continental SC5, the Michelin PS3 and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asys 2 in the same class? At least price wise they are...
Define 'class'?  Define the specific attributes you seek from a tyre - and then I might be able to give a better informed answer to your question.  :happy2:

But for someone who really doesn't care about tyres - those three could possibly be described as being in the same class.  And I could throw in a real curve ball - it could be said that the Goodyear EfficientGrip be in the same class as the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric.  They are, afterall, both available in the same sizes, speed ratings and load indices!  But to those with a proficient working knowledge - those two Goodyears are VERY different tyres, and are highly incompatible!  :wink:

The selection of competitors doesn't seem "cooked" to me. The Asys 3 should be better than the previous tyres, just like I expect the Continental SC6 and Michelin PS4 to be better as well. :smiley:
The actual selection of competitors isn't cooked - it is the way that Goodyear are presenting the test data which is seriously flawed.  And the fact that Goodyear are refusing to release the entire test data to the public is highly suspicious.  Is there damning test results that would not substantiate Goodyears' claim of glory?  Which particular test discipline did they fail?

Let's get to the crux.  Goodyear are an American tyre company, and develop their tyres to meet the requirements of American cars on American roads and American road surfaces.  Michelin and Continental are both European companies, and develop tyres to meet the very different needs of European cars on European roads, European road surfaces, and European drivers.
------

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2016, 10:13:36 pm »
@Teutonic_Tamer

Thank you for your explanation. :happy2:

When I referred same class, I was thinking about Summer Performance Tyres, that magazines compare together.

If you have the patience to elaborate more where the Goodyear fail compared to the European brands, I would appreciate. For my personal experience Goodyears have good grip, good durability, soft side walls, are more unbalanced tyres from new and it only gets worse with use, so they need to get calibrated more often maybe... :confused:  They keep a good grip even when they reach the limit of the legal tread depth.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 10:17:39 pm »
Supersports are fantastic.
Never, ever heard a bad word against these.  :happy2:

Goodyears sidewalls are soft. They grip yes, but they make the car feel horrid
Exactly.  There are numerous reports - from both private motorists, and professional motoring journalists - who have repeatedly stated that Goodyears can destroy the stability of any car they are used on.  Evo mag reported serious stability issues on their long term Mk5 R32 test hack when using GY F1 Asym 2s.  There have been Mk5 GTI owners reporting serious stability issues, including repeated actuation of the ESP.  There are RS4 owners who have reported issues - some even videoed truely shocking static deformation and deflection!

I personally, in a professional capacity, have witnessed very poor structural stability of many types of Goodyear tyres (though not any of the Eagle F1s) - during side-by-side comparative tests on identical vehicles.  And again, in a professional capacity, I know a few Norwich Union (now Aviva) and independent accident assessors who have directly attributed some car crashes to Goodyear tyres.
------

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 10:56:06 pm »
And here I was thinking my Goodyear Eagle F1 2s were great tyres. To be fair, for my use on the road, they're more than good enough for what I'm after.

The temperature makes a huge difference to how they feel. Below 12 degrees or so, the steering doesn't feel connected to the road, zero feedback and vague is how I would put it. I need much more steering angle to turn, even on slow bends.

Contrast this to when it has been above 12 in the time I've had them on (about 4 days or so), and they felt great. Good, weighty feedback.

I'll go for the Michelins next time, but the supersport seems to be overkill on a standard car.
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2016, 11:01:13 pm »
@Teutonic_Tamer

Thank you for your explanation. :happy2:
You are very welcome.  :drinking:

When I referred same class, I was thinking about Summer Performance Tyres, that magazines compare together.
And your thoughts are correct - they are all classified as summer performance tyres.  But so is the Goodyear EfficientGrip!

But in reality, it is certain specific attributes which individual folks require from their tyres.  Some may well seek a long tyre life and high mileage.  I personally don't consider that to be a priority.  Being a Brit, my personal over-riding attribute is the highest possible grip levels when cornering at high speeds on wet roads.  But I'm guessing being as you live in Portugal - wet grip requirements are low down your priorities.  And about 99% of Americans don't look for grip in corners at all.  Americans (who seek a 'high performance' tyre) want grip in a straight line - ie, grip when accelerating (traction) and decelerating (braking) in a straight line.  Additionally, Americans also seek comfort - hence why Goodyear (and other American tyres) have soft, weak sidewalls - which provide a lot of flex, and therefore a lot of cushioning.  Americans would hate Continentals - which have very stiff sidewalls and a very sturdy overall carcass.  Continental tyres would give a very harsh, unforgiving ride to Americans, when compared with equivalent size and specification Goodyears.

If you have the patience to elaborate more where the Goodyear fail compared to the European brands, I would appreciate. For my personal experience Goodyears have good grip, good durability, soft side walls, are more unbalanced tyres from new and it only gets worse with use, so they need to get calibrated more often maybe... :confused:  They keep a good grip even when they reach the limit of the legal tread depth.
I touched on the specifics in Reply #38

I don't think there has ever been doubts that Goodyear Eagle F1 Asyms give good grip - particularly in the dry in a straight line.  And, yes, maybe in the straight and dry, they might well grip slightly better than say the equivalent Continental.  But take your car with Goodyears to Germany, and cruise at 250kmh on one of their autobahns - and at best, you will find the car very 'fidgety', and will get white knuckles from holding the steering wheel tight.  Do the same journey in the same car, but with Continentals - and the ride will be considerably more relaxed, the car will be massively more stable at very high speeds - and it will even be possible to relax your grip on the steering wheel - even letting go.  Again, on that same 250kmh autobahn blast - if someone pulls into your lane ahead on your Conti shod car - when you stamp on the brakes hard - your car will brake with perfect stability in a straight line.  With Goodyears, it will stop in a similar distance to the Contis, but the loss of stability will be truely frightening - a Goodyear shod car will squirm uncontrollably, you will be fighting hard with the steering wheel - and you will probably need a change of underpants!

So, sure, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymms can give good grip in very specific attributes.  But as an all-weather, three-season tyre with rock-stable tracking - there are much better offerings over the Goodyear.

I hope this helps.  I need my bed now, so I shall return tomorrow if further help is needed.  :sleepy:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 11:03:01 pm by Teutonic_Tamer »
------

Offline Johnsy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2016, 11:14:38 pm »
I was toying with the idea of trying the new GY asym3, but reading that ........i think I'll give it a miss.

Iv done around 10k miles on my current MPSS including 1 trackday and the fronts are about done, with close to 4mm on the rears .

Should I just replace them like for like or is there an alternative to try @Teutonic_Tamer ?

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2016, 11:28:11 pm »
@Teutonic_Tamer

I guess I made a good decision to fit Continentals SC5 when I bought the OZ wheels. :happy2:

I've done a track day with them and I went beyond their limits. I think I'll get some MPSS next time or an even better option would be a spare set of wheels with semi-slicks. :evilgrin:

I do think Goodyears F1 Asys 2 have good grip in the wet as well. They surprised me because even when old they still gripped well in damped roads in the rear axle on the GT Sport (less demanding car compared to the Ed. 30). That's why I bought a new set to replace the old ones. But when I'll need to replace the fronts, I think I'll get Continentals. :laugh:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2016, 04:46:53 pm »
You cannot compare the Eagle f1 assy2/3 to the Michelin pilot supersport. Totally different class of tyre.

Fwiw i had f1 assy2s before moving to vortis and i ran about 35k on them. Had them at over 150mph and did a lot of driving and i had no problems at all. Only issue was tramlining. I ran 38psi all round.

No issues. The eagles are very capable tyres for most people. Irrespective of where the company is based the f1s have ALWAYS done well.

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 coming soon
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2016, 06:13:35 pm »
I'm on the RS246 forum a lot (I have a B7 RS4) and haven't come across anyone reporting "serious stability issues" with the GY F1 asy 2. They're one of the favourites, after the Michelin super sport and pilot sports.

I've got one set of wheels for my RS4 on F1's, another on conti SC5's, and I have a set of spare SC3 loose tyres for the track. The Goodyear's are my favourite of the lot. I find the conti's grip well but tramline, especially the SC 3's that make the car feel really twitchy on road (not a problem on track). I've run the goodyears on track too and I will say that they seemed to take more of a beating compared to the conti's, I expect because they're softer. Great grip though, slightly nicer ride and the car feels more stable on road.

Yet to try any Michelins on the RS or Golf, will probably do that next time I need new tyres on either car. The golf is on SC 3's too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:51:35 am by FJ1000 »

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |