Make a donation

Author Topic: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 coming soon  (Read 37668 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 coming soon
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2016, 08:23:32 pm »
Done another 100 miles and they're bloody amazing tyres.  Michelin have a pulled a blinder with these.  Better than the F1s (assy 2) in every way.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Jay_ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2016, 08:23:47 pm »
I've done nearly 600 mile in all weather and all different driving styles and can't fault them at all

sent from my galaxy s6

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2016, 08:38:08 pm »
They've transformed the car.  I thought my dampers and/or bushes were shot but it was just the tyres!  I hope the Assy 3s are a lot better but I won't be using F1s again.

Gave it the big beans (mapped ED30) and the TC hasn't kicked in yet, just a very slight chirp in 3rd.  The F1s used to spin up easily.

Offline Spankiee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2016, 04:14:33 pm »
i was hoping to find a post on tyres.

i need to replace all 4 Michelin PS3 and I'm torn between another set of those or a set of PS4.  :thinking:

I've been looking on www.tyreleader.co.uk there prices are great.
candy white edition 30

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97534.0.html
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2016, 07:34:30 pm »
i was hoping to find a post on tyres.

i need to replace all 4 Michelin PS3 and I'm torn between another set of those or a set of PS4.  :thinking:

I've been looking on www.tyreleader.co.uk there prices are great.

From the feedback iVe seen on the PS3s, it hasn't been particularly great for them. Get yourself some PS4s. 92 quid a corner on camskill or tyreleader.

Offline Spankiee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2016, 01:35:59 pm »
i've really liked the Ps3's i got 12k on the fronts and there on about 2.5mm. they do spin up in the wet a bit i suppose.

i'll order two now and give them a try they get better fuel efficiency ratings anyway.

thanks
candy white edition 30

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2016, 12:20:07 pm »
Can confirm the PS4s are really good in torrential rain, standing water and greasy roundabouts.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2016, 12:42:36 pm »
So a much better all rounder than the Asy2, under all conditions?

Or are you comparing a new PS4 with the performance of an old and worn down Asy2?
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Panthera

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2016, 05:00:56 pm »
I have just skimmed through this thread as I need to replace my ContiWinterContact TS850 with some summer rubber.

I can concur with what Teutonic_Tamer was saying to some extent. I had GY ASY 2 on my GTi and it was the worst feeling imaginable. For a starter the GY's looked under inflated, felt very unstable and when going around roundabouts/fast bends on B roads it felt like the wheel rim was moving/folding over the outside of the tyre sidewall.  So I got ride as soon as I could and when back to Pirelli PZero Rossos (now discontinued) and loved them. Stiff sidewalls, lots of grip and felt very stable.  Then when I needed to replace them and heard that they are now being replaced with the PZero tyre. I though, are these going to be the same as the Rosso's, stiff sidewalls, lots of grip and confidence that I like.  Yes!  Yes they did and thought these are a fantastic tyre in the dry and an even better in the rain.  My only down side to them was the wear rate - 5.5k miles ( and I was heard similar milage elsewhere of 6k). The tread pattern is soft - lots of grip - I would rather have a tyre like this than say a ditch finder tyre.    At my previous job, one of these install guys was a tyre fitter by trade and he said that Contis and Pirellis where the hardest tyres to fir because of their stiff sidewalls.

But from reading this thread, I am a little unsure as to what I should get next.  It won't be the GY ASY 3's thats for sure.  The Conti's that I am running now are ok and have been okay over this very mild wet winter. I am kind of regretting purchasing them.  They only work when the temperature is below 0. Above this they are average and the grip is nowhere to be found.  I think if I was to purchase again I would get the Sottozero 3 instead. 

I have narrowed it down to ContiSportContact 5 or the PZero (again).  I don't like Michelin or Bridgestone (although I do see most of the new VAG cars with these tyres fitted). That would leave Dunlop. 

Judging by what has been said that the Conti is the best to choose from?

Its all things to all men...Golf GTi
2007 Blue Graphite Golf GTi

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2016, 06:04:32 pm »
My Cupra came with Pzero Rosso & I thought they were decent too

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97534.0.html
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2016, 07:04:18 pm »
I'm not sure where you briefly read to, but the consensus is get Michelin PS2s / PS4s or Conti SC5s

Offline Panthera

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2016, 11:26:19 am »
Adam, yes I did read right to the end,  but I personally don't like Michelin's even though they do seem to get good results in tyre tests and forums.  That would leave the CSC5's.

Tyres are a very subjective to the owner. What one person wants and likes, the next person won't. 
I have just read this review about the PS4: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-4-First-Drive.htm

The review lost me at the top as to were this tyre fits into the range and what it replaces.  But I think what Michelin has done is to make a UHP tyre with more comfort credentials might mean something would have to give. Only time will tell.

I would like a solid rubber traction engine tyre rather than a tyre that gives the impression of floating along the road. If I wanted that sensation I would go and buy an American yank tank.    Thats not confidence inspiring at all in my mind, for any car, whether it be a Kia C'eed or a VW GTi. I want a firm solid construction with grip in dry and wet weathers. 

Its all things to all men...Golf GTi
2007 Blue Graphite Golf GTi

Offline Spankiee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2016, 07:35:27 pm »
i went for Ps4's i really like them. just gave it some earlier. improvement on Ps3's
candy white edition 30

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2016, 09:40:21 pm »
Got a set of 4 Eagle F1 Assy 3's ordered and being fitted Friday
£397 all in which I am happy with

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2016, 10:03:16 am »
So a much better all rounder than the Asy2, under all conditions?

Or are you comparing a new PS4 with the performance of an old and worn down Asy2?

Yep.  Same roads I've been driving for the past 26 years.  Definitely a big improvement, especially in turn-in feel and much more positive self centering.  The Eagles are very poor in that area. 

I had the Assy 2s from new and that's what my comparison is based upon.  Of course, worn down tyres will be hopeless compared to new ones but I've used every F1 since it's launch and they've all been the same - fine up to and around half worn and then they are terrible from there to bald.