Make a donation

Author Topic: Clear laquer paint bubbling  (Read 580 times)

Offline dav1e

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
Clear laquer paint bubbling
« on: January 06, 2016, 10:24:04 pm »
Hi I have recently noticed on the roof spoiler and on the actual roof itself now tiny clear laquer bubbles that move when you press with your finger. The bubbles vary in size but are not burst and they seem to be worse in the cold weather. I took the car to my local vw dealer warranty chap who stated that it was due to the roof not being resprayed properly and wasn't too interested otherwise. The car is a 55 plate and has immaculate paintwork and to my knowledge hasn't had a respray. However I have since checked with the three previous keepers the car had just turned 55k and they all stated that the car had never had any part resprayed during their ownership.

What do I do now is there any onus on vw re the paint condition which is now obviously the original factory paint or will I have to sort it myself and is there a remedy other than getting a new paint job.

Interested in any advice in this matter.

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Clear laquer paint bubbling
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 11:31:46 pm »
Easiest way would be to check with a paint depth gauge. Although this is not a clear indicator, as paint can be sprayed in such a way to mimic factory depths.

OE paint is between around 95 and 130 microns deep.
most aftermarket jobs will leave betwee 200 and 500 microns.

not often for a roof to be resprayed unless someone falls on it and dents it.