Make a donation

Author Topic: Just got the GTI back from R-TECH.  (Read 17429 times)

Offline TAPPY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,103290.0.html
Re: Just got the GTI back from R-TECH.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 06:33:29 pm »
Nice figures you have there. I'm thinking of going stage 1 and will be doing a pre cat delete and panel filter first. How much was it buddy if you don't mind me asking?   :happy2:

It was £290 for the custom stage 1 map itself, but i had the Rev G DV supplied and fitted also so all in it was £335.

It is well worth it.  Well happy with how the car drives now.

I would not hesitate a second to book in with them, can't fault them at all, and there is a even a food van you can get bacon and egg baps from just 30 seconds away...:)

Perfect thank you. I will have to get myself booked in. Worth it just for the food van  :signLOL:

lol - i should start getting discounts at the food van for my marketing skills...;)
:signLOL:

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
  • Life is not a straight line!
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 06:35:23 pm »
Best round trip ever though

If my bloody SD card hadn't of failed, leaving me with only the crappy radio, it would have been even better!

Steel Grey 2006 Mk5 GTI - R-TECH Stage 1 (268bhp/334ftlb) - BCS Cat Back - Pre-Cat Delete - Carbonio Panel Filter - Rev G DV - 18" BBS CH - Leather - RNS510 - Colour Coded Bumpers and Skirts - ED30 Front Splitter - Eibach Sportlines - Open Fog Grilles - Wind Deflectors.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 06:36:27 pm »
Best round trip ever though

If my bloody SD card hadn't of failed, leaving me with only the crappy radio, it would have been even better!
Ha, just crack the window and enjoy the noise of the extra boost!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 06:45:56 pm »
That's awesome for a stage 1  :congrats: you must be loving it love time

Hell yes.

I already had a bluefin fitted so wasn't expecting that much of change, but i really feel that it is complete transformed beast now.

Must of overtaken about 10 cars on the way back...:)
I can imagine how chuffed you are as I'd be exactly the same.

When you say custom map, can you define what they did to custom it please?.

I know you have the exhaust but what did they actually do?.

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 06:53:21 pm »

Hell yes.

I already had a bluefin fitted so wasn't expecting that much of change, but i really feel that it is complete transformed beast now.

Custom just means that they map the car according to the mods it has, rather than bolt on a map for 1 size fits all, like the bluefin and some other maps.  The stage 1 map can probably just be bolted on to any car but if not setup on RR then the power might differ.

If you setup the car on the RR with it's current mods they can get a better 'custom' map.

That's the way i understand it.  R-TECH just done their thing and hey presto.

It's all to do with how your car responds to the mods and how good all the tolerances are within the engine i suppose.

Email R-TECH and ask any questions before going up/down/along there...:)
Steel Grey 2006 Mk5 GTI - R-TECH Stage 1 (268bhp/334ftlb) - BCS Cat Back - Pre-Cat Delete - Carbonio Panel Filter - Rev G DV - 18" BBS CH - Leather - RNS510 - Colour Coded Bumpers and Skirts - ED30 Front Splitter - Eibach Sportlines - Open Fog Grilles - Wind Deflectors.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 07:02:11 pm »

Hell yes.

Custom just means that they map the car according to the mods it has, rather than bolt on a map for 1 size fits all, like the bluefin and some other maps.  The stage 1 map can probably just be bolted on to any car but if not setup on RR then the power might differ.

If you setup the car on the RR with it's current mods they can get a better 'custom' map.

It's all to do with how your car responds to the mods and how good all the tolerances are within the engine i suppose.

Just as I thought thanks mate, this is what a proper custom mapper does rather than bolt on a generic map that fits all lol

If and when I decode it's time to take a trip down there I'll be making sure the exhaust system is replaced as this gets you a lot of power out. I've read that generic maps get you around 30bhp tops not sure if it was r techs site but wasn't impressed reading that at all lol

Now I read you're post I'll be happy to slap on an exhaust and panel filter and then go for mapping  :happy2:

Glad I read your post.

Cheers

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2016, 07:08:48 pm »
Just to add to that - the R-Tech Stage 1 is indeed just as custom - even though on paper standard car A should respond the same as standard car B, the car still gets the same live mapping on the rollers as a car with hardware changes would, as in practice not all standard cars respond the same.

That's one of the many things that set R-Tech apart from generic Stage 1 maps. You know you're getting the best bespoke map for your hardware whether it's stock or not.

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 07:10:10 pm »

Hell yes.

Just as I thought thanks mate, this is what a proper custom mapper does rather than bolt on a generic map that fits all lol

If and when I decode it's time to take a trip down there I'll be making sure the exhaust system is replaced as this gets you a lot of power out. I've read that generic maps get you around 30bhp tops not sure if it was r techs site but wasn't impressed reading that at all lol

Now I read you're post I'll be happy to slap on an exhaust and panel filter and then go for mapping  :happy2:

Glad I read your post.

Cheers

If you go full turbo back you should look into getting an uprated fuel pump as well, with that and the other mods you mention you will see over 280bhp as long as your engine temps are ok.

If you just go cat back like me make sure you knock the pre-cat out as i think that is what has gained me the extra power tbh.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 07:11:50 pm by Greenman »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 07:17:33 pm »

Hell yes.

Glad I read your post.

Cheers

If you go full turbno back you should look into getting an uprated fuel pump as well, with that and the other mods you mention you will see over 280bhp as long as your engine temps are ok.

If you just go cat back like me make sure you knock the pre-cat out as i think that is what has gained me the extra power tbh.
I'm a little upset as the hpfp are feckling pricey  :stupid:

I'd definitely go turbo back as the pre cat holds back the gases and prevents free flow which then reduces the bhp as I had a turbo back on the tt and it flew :jumping: would have gone further into modding it but the little R5 came along and had to sell up. :sad1:
Never mind as I hear these golf's can perform and give better number with less ££££  :drool:
Might as well get my custom fmic on too.

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 07:21:01 pm »

Hell yes.

Glad I read your post.

Cheers

If you go full turbno back you should look into getting an uprated fuel pump as well, with that and the other mods you mention you will see over 280bhp as long as your engine temps are ok.

I'd definitely go turbo back as the pre cat holds back the gases and prevents free flow which then reduces the bhp as I had a turbo back on the tt and it flew :jumping: would have gone further into modding it but the little R5 came along and had to sell up. :sad1:
Never mind as I hear these golf's can perform and give better number with less ££££  :drool:

If you do FMIC too that will be a beast.

You might have to go K04...;)

My car is my daily work drive and also my office as i am self employed and am in field service, so i'm happy with me stage 1 knowing it will last a fair few more miles yet...:)

Getting above 50mph is a challenge around here in Bristol most of the time too...:(

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2016, 07:29:14 pm »
Just to add to that - the R-Tech Stage 1 is indeed just as custom - even though on paper standard car A should respond the same as standard car B, the car still gets the same live mapping on the rollers as a car with hardware changes would, as in practice not all standard cars respond the same.

That's one of the many things that set R-Tech apart from generic Stage 1 maps. You know you're getting the best bespoke map for your hardware whether it's stock or not.

I would have thought a stage 1 is just bolt on and off you go ???
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 07:51:28 pm by r5gtt »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 07:32:50 pm »

Hell yes.

Glad I read your post.

Cheers

If you do FMIC too that will be a beast.

You might have to go K04...;)

My car is my daily work drive and also my office as i am self employed and am in field service, so i'm happy with me stage 1 knowing it will last a fair few more miles yet...:)

Getting above 50mph is a challenge around here in Bristol most of the time too...:(
No no noooooooo I'm not going k04 no noooooooo ££££'s although I'd so love to. Just going to stick with the things I've mentioend and try be happy with that  :driver:

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2016, 07:40:15 pm »
No no noooooooo I'm not going k04 no noooooooo ££££'s although I'd so love to. Just going to stick with the things I've mentioend and try be happy with that  :driver:

As long as you make sure you get that breathing right mate i'm sure you will be happy...:)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2016, 07:42:54 pm »

They're not very good with the tt mk1 hahaha a few members were pissed at what the end results were when getting mapped.  :signLOL:

I would have thought a stage 1 is just bolt on and off you go ???
What?? Are you sure mate??!

R-Tech built their reputation on the 1.8T.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2016, 07:46:52 pm »
And there's no 'bolt on' maps at R-Tech. That's R-Tech, Hinckley, Leicestershire, just in case you're thinking of a similarly named company.. One does exist.