Make a donation

Author Topic: Boot Will Not Open Arrrrrr  (Read 14804 times)

Offline wayneitb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: MK5 GTI
Boot Will Not Open Arrrrrr
« on: January 11, 2016, 08:58:36 pm »
Hi

Does anyone know if there is a inside boot release switch for the Mk5 GTI, my boot will not open, my rear Window Wipers has stopped working, and the reverse light has also stopped working.

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Boot Will Not Open Arrrrrr
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 09:08:08 pm »
You may have a tear in the boot lid wiring which can cause this to happen. it's at the top when you release the boot under the rubber grommet. I'm sure there's a release mechanism in the boot somewhere but check this out too. unless someone else can show you where it is.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mk5+golf+gti+emergency+boot+release&client=ms-android-samsung&source=android-browser&biw=360&bih=320&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjKtr761qLKAhXETBQKHedTAc8Q_AUIBygC#imgrc=T38qc2VqluyXiM%3A
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 09:18:02 pm by r5gtt »

Offline wayneitb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 09:22:06 pm »
You may have a tear in the boot lid wiring which can cause this to happen. it's at the top when you release the boot under the rubber grommet. I'm sure there's a release mechanism in the boot somewhere but check this out too. unless someone else can show you where it is.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mk5+golf+gti+emergency+boot+release&client=ms-android-samsung&source=android-browser&biw=360&bih=320&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjKtr761qLKAhXETBQKHedTAc8Q_AUIBygC#imgrc=T38qc2VqluyXiM%3A

I did some research, and your right, it looks to the boot lid wiring, well I managed to get the boot open, moved the  boot lid wiring about and all is working good again, will have a look over the weekend for broken wires.

Cheers mate.

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 09:26:14 pm »
I would add this to your reading list http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,86689.msg885937.html#msg885937

It's an excellent guide.

Offline wayneitb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 09:38:24 pm »

Offline zayd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 11:59:12 pm »
I had this exact scenario just over a month ago and it was a broken earth wire in the left hand rubber conduit, which is visible once you open the boot.  I can't believe VW didn't modify this, as it was also very common on the MK4.

Its a very straight forward and quick job to repair.  All you need to do, is carefully cut open the rubber conduit and expose which wires are broken.  Then solder in a little piece of new wire, in order to create some slack and then heat-shrink the repair to make it nice and strong.  As the conduit was sliced open, I just wrapped some black Gorilla tape around it. 

Be sure to pick up the electrical wire matching the amperage of your broken ones, heat-shrink tubing, and a soldier iron.  I picked up the heat-shrink and wire from Halfords.  If you are not handy with a soldier iron, just get someone else to do this, but as I like the satisfaction of making my own repairs if possible, I gave mine a go.

It only took 30 minutes to complete the job and all has been working perfectly ever since, including the boot convenience light, which we lived without for 2 years!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 12:01:37 am by zayd »