Make a donation

Author Topic: Bootlid Adjustment  (Read 6637 times)

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
Bootlid Adjustment
« on: January 19, 2016, 01:27:28 pm »
This is starting to annoy me now and is preventing me from detailing the car, as it just highlights the problem.

The bottled is out of alignment. On the left hand side, where the fog lights meets the outer light, the gap is considerably bigger than the right hand side.

So much so, that it is quite apparent even to non-pedantic people  :signLOL:

I have tried to adjust the rubber stopper on this side, to see if it stuck out too far, but even taking it out completely makes no difference.

How is the boot adjusted?

Cheers
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline Newbieintown

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: Bootlid Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 02:27:05 pm »
Hey Nasir
I think mine is also out of alinement doesn't help with my OCD! So much so every parked up MK5 gti I see I look at their boot gap. To be fair they are mostly all the same. Am going to see a VW body shop to let them check mine out. (The gap just doesn't seem correct)
It doesn't help that I have a wet spare wheel well, how ever am 99% sure it's my tails lights that are the cause.
MK5 Golf GTI
200bhp
Tornado Red

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 02:49:59 pm »
Haha I don't blame you. I've had a few MK5s and none were this bad. The gap is very obvious, but the paintwork is original.

So it either came like this or the bootlid has been moved at some point. However, I can't imagine this gap would pass QC. Have you tried adjusting it?

No water gets through in mine, and I'm fairly confident that my gap will be bigger than yours, so yes it's probably the tail lights.

Offline Newbieintown

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 02:59:30 pm »
I looked into adjusting mine there are 2 places either the 2 bolts on each hing when you open the boot, or when you open the boot by the headlining there is a plastic strip you can pull down and there are 2 bolts which attaches the hinges to the car, if you do it I read some where you need to take off the boot struts other wise they would push it out of alinement.
MK5 Golf GTI
200bhp
Tornado Red

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 03:33:20 pm »
See if you can adjust the rear light to compensate the gap?.

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 06:48:57 pm »
See if you can adjust the rear light to compensate the gap?.

Won't be enough for me, the gap between the rear window and C pillar is also big.

Going to a bodyshop for advice tomorrow.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 07:15:56 pm »
There are also four torx bolts that may possibly be able to adjust but I've not tried it myself.
Or as mentioned under the roof lining.
Some idiot garage messed my alignment up with the tt when a plank hit me on the rear right quarter panel and I went through hell to get the fecklers to sort it out. it was an insurance approved garage too. wanklers took the wizz with my car breaking root trims and damaging boot latch. 

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 04:46:11 pm »
There are also four torx bolts that may possibly be able to adjust but I've not tried it myself.
Some idiot garage messed my alignment up with the tt when a plank hit me on the rear right quarter panel and I went through hell to get the fecklers to sort it out. it was an insurance approved garage too. wanklers took the wizz with my car breaking root trims and damaging boot latch.

The bodyshop have looked at it and think the screws under the hatch need adjusting. I've seen the plastic trim, how does it pop off? Don't want to break it, but the £100 they want sounds excessive for tightening some bolts.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 05:01:54 pm »

The bodyshop have looked at it and think the screws under the hatch need adjusting. I've seen the plastic trim, how does it pop off? Don't want to break it, but the £100 they want sounds excessive for tightening some bolts.
Which four screws were they referring to?.
There's four that are visible when you lift the hatch and I don't have a cover on them if these are what you're thinking?.
Not sure about the ones under the head liner. if there is a plastic trim it will pop off providing there are no screws holding it in.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 05:21:51 pm »
Seen the bugger trim on Google  :signLOL:

Gently pop it off with a trim tool if handy?. Working from one side and be careful as these are tight clips that hold the trim in place.

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 06:43:46 pm »
Cheers fellas. I'm referring to the screws underneath the trim, just above the rear headrests. I think the link is on how to remove the complete trim, but the screws are underneath the top trim; which is independent from the boot itself.

Not sure adjusting the visible (painted) screws will have any difference. Going to take it to another bodyshop tomorrow.

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 07:20:20 pm »
Sorry misread the op.  :stupid:

Post some pics.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 07:30:32 pm »
Sorry misread the op.  :stupid:

Post some pics.
:signLOL:

Yes just pop the trim off and you'll be fine. remembering to take the boot struts off as you'll be fighting with the boot  :rolleye:

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 11:16:35 pm »
Well further to this thread, the pictures of this GTI on DW are identical to the problem on my car. Fourth picture down, compare the left taillight to the right taillight.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=280235

It seems this may be a common misalignment from the factory? Mine has the original paintwork, so it's unlikely the tailgate itself has been taken off.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 11:23:24 pm »
That's looks bad mate, mine is certainly not like that.