Make a donation

Author Topic: Bugger - Crashed the GTI on sunday!  (Read 37680 times)

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
  • Life is not a straight line!
Re: Bugger - Crashed the GTI on sunday!
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2016, 06:04:08 pm »
All's well that ends well.

As much as opinion on the insurance thing can be heated, and I personally would always advocate playing it safe and declaring every mod, I'm sure I'm not alone in being pleased for a fellow vw enthusiast when things could have easily gone pear shaped.

Out of interest, who is your insurer?

Esure.

I shall be declaring my mods when i get the car back and i'm happy with the repairs.

Just another thing not to have to worry about if my right foot wants to have a bit of fun again.....but maybe in the dry next time...;)

Will also change the pirelli's on the back for some goodyears asap.
Steel Grey 2006 Mk5 GTI - R-TECH Stage 1 (268bhp/334ftlb) - BCS Cat Back - Pre-Cat Delete - Carbonio Panel Filter - Rev G DV - 18" BBS CH - Leather - RNS510 - Colour Coded Bumpers and Skirts - ED30 Front Splitter - Eibach Sportlines - Open Fog Grilles - Wind Deflectors.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2016, 06:05:22 pm »
I think Adrian flux don't add any extra for cosmetic mods and filters.
Only if the cars been mapped.

Can't remember as it's been a while.
Yeah I'm with Flux, have been for years.

All mods declared, including ed30 front, colour coded sides and rear, BBS VZ, H&R springs etc, and none of that added to the premium - just the map, and that added 60 quid over about 9 months of the policy.

Can't fault them.

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2016, 06:06:27 pm »

All mods declared, including ed30 front, colour coded sides and rear, BBS VZ, H&R springs etc, and none of that added to the premium - just the map, and that added 60 quid over about 9 months of the policy.

Can't fault them.

That's a fair price really.  Did you have a power limit on the policy?
Steel Grey 2006 Mk5 GTI - R-TECH Stage 1 (268bhp/334ftlb) - BCS Cat Back - Pre-Cat Delete - Carbonio Panel Filter - Rev G DV - 18" BBS CH - Leather - RNS510 - Colour Coded Bumpers and Skirts - ED30 Front Splitter - Eibach Sportlines - Open Fog Grilles - Wind Deflectors.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2016, 06:08:50 pm »
All's well that ends well.

As much as opinion on the insurance thing can be heated, and I personally would always advocate playing it safe and declaring every mod, I'm sure I'm not alone in being pleased for a fellow vw enthusiast when things could have easily gone pear shaped.

Out of interest, who is your insurer?

Esure.

I shall be declaring my mods when i get the car back and i'm happy with the repairs.

Just another thing not to have to worry about if my right foot wants to have a bit of fun again.....but maybe in the dry next time...;)

Will also change the pirelli's on the back for some goodyears asap.
Yeah get the tyres sorted, you don't want the back end going again! It's been really mild again the last couple of days though and it feels like my grip has doubled. Anything under 8/9 degrees and things can get tricky!

Will bear esure in mind.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2016, 06:10:56 pm »

Can't fault them.

That's a fair price really.  Did you have a power limit on the policy?
None was mentioned at all. Can't see me ever getting more than 280bhp or so out of it while it has a k03 anyway, so I guess if and when that time comes I'll see what they say.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2016, 06:45:32 pm »

Can't fault them.
It's great isn't it  :jumping: nothing but the map  :signLOL:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2016, 06:59:14 pm »
So an update, and it's good news.

Spoke to my insurer and they have accepted the claim, and have told the repair company to continue with repairs.

As the only modified part that is damaged was the wheels which i had declared, they say they have no issue at all with continuing with the repair and indeed repairing the modified wheel at the rear that is badly damaged, there will be no up in premium but i plan to declare the other mods after repair which i'm sure will put the premiums up a little bit.

Luckily i have protected no claims so that is all fine too.

They are even colour coding the rear bumper back to how i had it before.

Just shows you don't have to be quite as paranoid as some make out.  I know numerous people that have had moderately modified cars that have all had incidents and have never had issues claiming.  Maybe if my wheels were not declared it might of been more of an issue, who know's.

I would of course recommend people declaring their mods though, as i'm sure if i was unlucky enough to damage an undeclared mod i might of been in trouble.

Greenman - for ever living on the edge...;)

:happy2:

Brilliant news mate that's it's getting repaired,bet you can relax now :signLOL:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2016, 09:39:09 pm »
When I was 23 I was paying 675 a year on my GTI, that was an agreed value policy with like for like mod replacement, I had a power limit of 275 on the policy and everything declared from the air ride to the decat pipe to the little air lift sticker on the back window. that was 4 years no claims and 1 accident in 5 years (on the 5th year).

when I was 22 that it was £950 with all of the same modifications. - 3 years ncb / 1 accident

If I couldn't have afforded the insurance I would not have modified my car.
 My friend is 19 and has a Scirocco and is not allowed a remap by his insurance company so guess what he isn't getting a remap.

Do you want a gold sticker or something mate?

Next you will be telling us you never break the speed limit!

Nope I did 156 GPS on the A34 last year (outside statute of prosecution)  :happy2:

Hope you can take some of that £70k a year you earn and pay for your modifications. Scum or not they serve their purpose and they are a legal requirement.

On the topic of "i've heard loads of people who have had modified cars and no issue"

well i did have a modified car, my first car, a corsa, with a stupid bodykit, not declared, when i crashed it, claim was denied due to undeclared mods and i lost out on 1800.

so it does happen.

glad your car is sorted pal.

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2016, 09:52:55 pm »
Not reading 5 pages, sorry to hear about the motor though... I've had this a few times when I've fitted new tyres to the front, but ESP has always saved it, was yours switched off?

Offline tigamilla

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2016, 11:38:59 pm »
Very glad all worked out well for you.
This thread brought up some very interesting points re: declaring mods etc.

Sent using Tapatalk

Manual MK6R with TTE420 and long live forums!!

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2016, 08:49:42 am »
Not reading 5 pages, sorry to hear about the motor though... I've had this a few times when I've fitted new tyres to the front, but ESP has always saved it, was yours switched off?

Yep.  Sunday is a time i like to have a little play as the roads are quieter and i always turn the ESP off, otherwise it's just boring as the traction control just holds you back, maybe though, on that day, that would not of been a bad thing...;)

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2016, 12:02:52 pm »
So an update, and it's good news.

Spoke to my insurer and they have accepted the claim, and have told the repair company to continue with repairs.

As the only modified part that is damaged was the wheels which i had declared, they say they have no issue at all with continuing with the repair and indeed repairing the modified wheel at the rear that is badly damaged, there will be no up in premium but i plan to declare the other mods after repair which i'm sure will put the premiums up a little bit.

Luckily i have protected no claims so that is all fine too.

They are even colour coding the rear bumper back to how i had it before.

Just shows you don't have to be quite as paranoid as some make out.  I know numerous people that have had moderately modified cars that have all had incidents and have never had issues claiming.  Maybe if my wheels were not declared it might of been more of an issue, who know's.

I would of course recommend people declaring their mods though, as i'm sure if i was unlucky enough to damage an undeclared mod i might of been in trouble.

Greenman - for ever living on the edge...;)

:happy2:

Brilliant news mate that's it's getting repaired,bet you can relax now :signLOL:

I won;t be able to relax until i have the keys in my hand and everything is back to how it was...;)

Fingers crossed i will have some updated pics in the members ride section in a few weeks, minus the damage...:)

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90767.0.html
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2016, 01:36:47 pm »
I have the following upgraded on my GTI:

MFD2 > RNS 510 with Kuftatec bluetooth
Standard front and rear GTI valances > Ed 30 front and rear valances
Mk6 OEM rear parking sensors added
OEM xenons added
Ed30 Pescaras all around

I haven't declared any of them because they were all OEM upgrades largely. Should I have?

Will be doing a Stage 1 map later this year when I find an insurer that supports mods at a reasonable price.

I'd say 99% of people changing these few bits wouldn't declare. Not because they're trying to be sly and not pay the extra premium but out of innocence.

On the phone to my insurer now.

Apparently 17" Monza upgrade to 18" Pescaras isn't allowed. I can only upgrade by at least 2" according to the policy underwriter. So 17" or 19"!

If only I didn't declare I had 17" wheels, I'd be fine but now that I've told them I can't go back on it.

Everything else is fine!  :stupid:

This is insane...... :signLOL:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 01:44:22 pm by Rossimac »

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2016, 01:44:23 pm »

OEM xenons added
Ed30 Pescaras all around

I haven't declared any of them because they were all OEM upgrades largely. Should I have?

Will be doing a Stage 1 map later this year when I find an insurer that supports mods at a reasonable price.

I'd say 99% of people changing these few bits wouldn't declare. Not because they're trying to be sly and not pay the extra premium but out of innocence.

Apparently 17" Monza upgrade to 18" Pescaras isn't allowed. I can only upgrade by at least 2". So 17" or 19"!

:stupid:

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2016, 02:41:36 pm »

Yep.  Sunday is a time i like to have a little play as the roads are quieter and i always turn the ESP off, otherwise it's just boring as the traction control just holds you back, maybe though, on that day, that would not of been a bad thing...;)

I hear that mate, if it's dry it goes off, but in the winter wet it's always on, saved my ass a few times.

OEM xenons added
Ed30 Pescaras all around

Apparently 17" Monza upgrade to 18" Pescaras isn't allowed. I can only upgrade by at least 2". So 17" or 19"!

:stupid:

Bizarre, so they don't insure all those Mk5 GTI's with 18 inch wheels then.