Make a donation

Author Topic: Driving in this snow / ice  (Read 17807 times)

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Driving in this snow / ice
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2010, 07:01:52 pm »
Mine makes an awful loud noise when trying to get traction - I imagine its the traction control applying the brake to stop the wheel spinning??  I hate it, even with esp off it still cuts the power.  Anyone elses do the same?

Our mini cooper s with its LSD is a different matter, brilliant in the snow - which makes no sense with it being even lighter and still having huge tyres??

Offline SKAVIA

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 9
    • Build thread
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2010, 08:16:40 pm »
I got stuck on our hill - and my dad's Polo just drove straight past  :ashamed:
How do the R32s fair in this weather? Does 4wd make a big difference even though the rest is very similiar to the GTI (tyre size etc)

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2010, 08:20:16 pm »
I got stuck on our hill - and my dad's Polo just drove straight past  :ashamed:
How do the R32s fair in this weather? Does 4wd make a big difference even though the rest is very similiar to the GTI (tyre size etc)

a bloke at work said his was bad, instead of 2 wheels loosing traction 4 did LOL
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:48:06 pm by 182_blue »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2010, 08:31:15 pm »
in london when i dropped my mother off at the airport before xmas, we all got stuck on a stretch of road, including a range rover sport. most amusing thing was we got overtook by an older range rover which just drove past like it wasnt snowing. presumably the sport had more performance orientated tyres

Nasir

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2010, 08:37:51 pm »
Mine makes an awful loud noise when trying to get traction - I imagine its the traction control applying the brake to stop the wheel spinning??  I hate it, even with esp off it still cuts the power.  Anyone elses do the same?

Our mini cooper s with its LSD is a different matter, brilliant in the snow - which makes no sense with it being even lighter and still having huge tyres??

Yes that is the ESP working, the noise is normal. The ESP off should only turn off the traction control for safety reasons.

The R32s are really good apparently.

Offline SKAVIA

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 9
    • Build thread
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2010, 09:46:06 pm »
Just been over onto R32OC to have a nosy and they seem to be as bad as us!!  :laugh:
http://www.r32oc.com/general-chat/18876-esp-light-flashing-like-mad-very-light-snow.html#post206364

Offline DanoGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
    • DA Productions
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2010, 03:35:24 pm »
LOL - had another VENT earlier. After clearing the drive this VAG POS got caught on a tiny bit of ice. Could shift the car!!!! CURSE these stupid wheels & tyres.  :grin:

It's nature's way of saying that I don't need to go out at all. Sadly my employer seems to think differently  :grin:

We'll see what delights arrive over the next few days....

Dan

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2010, 06:05:31 pm »

TIP: Only possible if you have DSG - Leave your car in 'P' and don't use the handbrake because it can freeze lock your brakes.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!