Make a donation

Author Topic: Driving in this snow / ice  (Read 17804 times)

Offline MancBen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
Driving in this snow / ice
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:05:54 am »
 :driver:

Michelin PS2's may be a mighty fine summer tyre, but my GOD they have provided absolutely zero traction whatsover for the last 3 weeks. (I'm not suprised by the way) This morning I nearly had to ditch my car after attempting to pull away from traffic lights on a level surface, only to find the car travel sideway with the camber into the gutter. Finally managed to get it moving again.

Anyway, the point of this tread is .... Traction Control ON or OFF ??  What do you guys think ? I'm not sure it's helping me.

If I knew we would experience this weather each winter, I'd definately be getting some Winter Tyres.

6 inches of snow overnight in South Manchester by the way. I love it  :jumpmove:

Offline t20lau

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Website design Sheffield
    • Email
Re: Driving in this snow / ice
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 11:06:54 am »
I'm in sheffield and not having much joy with Toyo T1R's! Dreading the drive home from work!!!
SEAT Ibiza Sport | Vauxhall Astra VXR | BMW Z4 M-Sport | VW Golf GTi Edition 30 | BMW F30 330D X-Drive

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 11:39:28 am »
Last year I found it was better to turn it off going up hill as the ESP would cut all power completely meaning absolutely no progress. With the ESP off I found I could travel (with wheelspin) upto about 15mph or so. Probably the only situation I recommend turning it off.
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline icenutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:44:05 am »
The economy tyres that were on the rear on my car aren't actually that bad, much better than the Conti Sport Contacts.  (I swapped the wheels front to rear).

But to be honest winter tyres are the way to go - you wouldn't believe the traction.  Only problem is that people think you are driving like a t***, when you are driving sensibly.

And stability control off, high gear, keep the turbo off boost  :happy2:
Get all your sports nutrition products here; http://www.myprotein.co.uk and use the code MP73153 to get 5% off your first order.

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 15
  • Edition 30
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 12:04:33 pm »
ive found TC on and third gear to take off seems to work best. You are correct tho about the michelins. I thought it was just me cos they only have about 3-4 mm left on the fronts.

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 12:11:14 pm »
You think your PS2's are bad? You should try my Sunny's! In the dry they're like your PS2's in the snow, so imagine what they're like now  :scared:

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 15
  • Edition 30
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 12:26:17 pm »
You think your PS2's are bad? You should try my Sunny's! In the dry they're like your PS2's in the snow, so imagine what they're like now  :scared:

Sunnys??

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 12:26:39 pm »
ESP off and drive carefully. The DSG helps, but if you are manual stick to the lowest revs in the highest gear.

The Vredesteins aren't much cop in this snow either, but must be a gazillion times better than the PS2's 'cos I can at least go up inclines up to a limit.

The wife's Jazz is actually quite reasonable in the snow, with it's CVT box and skinny wheels :ashamed:
Golf R gone.

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 12:34:40 pm »

Sunnys??

Sunew. They're about the cheapest tyre you can get in 18"  :grin:
They were bought as a temporary measure as I had major wheel/tyre vibration on my old wheels and I wanted to make sure it was definately them and not something like wheel bearings etc so I bought new wheels with el crappo tyres. They will be replaced very soon as they have served their purpose.

Offline paulk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 12:40:20 pm »
got to say my golf has been very good on the snow but today beat it...had to turn round and come home i couldnt even get to the motorway....  :sad1: goin to be hard as the car was booked in at vw racing today

Offline DubwayDan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 01:30:17 pm »
if it gets too bad up near me i just leave everything to work for itself. my drive is up quite a steep hill and i managed to get up there the other week in 1 inch of snow with low profile t1r's and 8" wide wheels

traction on
dont touch any of the pedals
just steer

:happy2:

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 01:35:48 pm »
I find a mixture of TC on and off to work for me to pull off on inclines etc i need to turn it off but when im going i turn it back on. In the snow or ice its best to only let your car do one thing at a time so either brake, steer, roll or accelerate never more than one at a time and im yet to come close to slipping or sliding even on me PS2'S

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Nasir

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 01:45:55 pm »
I got a little stuck and turned the ESP off but as soon as I got away, it's straight back on. It's saved the car so many times it's amazing.
Does anyone find that the ESP works sometimes without the light flashing?

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 01:46:06 pm »
Massive fail for me thid morning as well. My soot chucker with it's great low rev torque was beaten by the snow. Couldn't even get off my estate ! Thats's with 18x8" wheels fitted with Good Year F1 Asymetricals.

Didn't matter if the TC was on or off, I was going no where quick.

Lets hope it get better tomorrow !

Cheers

Andrew

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 03:16:23 pm »
Must admit snow was bad in Harrogate at 05:30 this morning.Left the GTI in the garage & went for the works bus.  :jumping:.First time this year tho.
ED35. Standard factory condition.