Make a donation

Author Topic: Suspension mods recommendations per RedRobin's reviews  (Read 8821 times)

Offline illeon

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Suspension mods recommendations per RedRobin's reviews
« on: January 24, 2016, 12:54:22 pm »
Hi,

I ready with great interest RedRobin's reviews of the Unibrace XB & UB, the VWR engine mounts and the SuperPro Polyurethane Bushes reviews.

I'm contemplating my next suspension mod to be either the Unibrace UB, the VWR engine mounts or the SuperPro rear bushes and I'm wondering, which item will provide the greatest improvement in handling, assuming cost is not a parameter?

Ideally, I would have PMed RedRobin himself with this question, but as a new member I yet to reach a minimal number of posts first.

Thanks in advance!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 678
Re: Suspension mods recommendations per RedRobin's reviews
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 11:16:27 am »
Hi,

I ready with great interest RedRobin's reviews of the Unibrace XB & UB, the VWR engine mounts and the SuperPro Polyurethane Bushes reviews.

I'm contemplating my next suspension mod to be either the Unibrace UB, the VWR engine mounts or the SuperPro rear bushes and I'm wondering, which item will provide the greatest improvement in handling, assuming cost is not a parameter?

Ideally, I would have PMed RedRobin himself with this question, but as a new member I yet to reach a minimal number of posts first.

Thanks in advance!

My thoughts....

Bracing - not required in the MK5. 

VWR dogbone mount (it's actually a Vibratechnics part) - It *does* increase noise and vibration.  You need to do all 3 to keep that motor pinned, but the noise and vibes are horrendous if you do so, even with fast road spec rubber.

Polybushes - Yep, the anti-lift kit is worth doing.  Leave the rest of the chassis bushed with rubber, refresh with new OEM parts if necessary as fresh rubber is better than 10 year old rubber.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 11:40:48 pm »
My short personal experience with my modded Ed. 30 tells me the same Pudding said, although I fitted both dogbone Vibratechnics bushes and I really don't have any complaint about noise or vibrations. My mechanic torqued all bolts that were loose in the cabin and chassis (ended up putting some heat resistant foam between the fuel lines too).

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 11:53:04 pm »
OP... what is your current car setup? What mods?

Offline illeon

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 09:56:07 am »
Hey Pudding and thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!

First and foremost, I should have mentioned I'm driving a MK2 Leon Cupra R. The current suspension modes I installed are Powerflex black series anti-lift kit, Hotchkis rear anti-roll bar and Wavetrac LSD.
Bracing - not required in the MK5.

Are you referring to strut bracing or Unibrace? To my understanding, RedRobin's review was very favorable to installing the XB & UB. However, for the LCR, there's only UB.   

VWR dogbone mount (it's actually a Vibratechnics part) - It *does* increase noise and vibration.  You need to do all 3 to keep that motor pinned, but the noise and vibes are horrendous if you do so, even with fast road spec rubber.

Indeed, that's my understanding as well. And since my car is first and foremost a daily driver, with the occasional tracking, I want to keep it comfortable enough so my kids don't complain when I drop them off to school  :smiley:

Polybushes - Yep, the anti-lift kit is worth doing.

I have the Powerflex black-series anti-lift kit installed.

Leave the rest of the chassis bushed with rubber, refresh with new OEM parts if necessary as fresh rubber is better than 10 year old rubber.

Interesting. So in your opinion poly bushes won't make much of change, compared to relatively new fresh and OEM rubber bushes?

Offline illeon

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 09:58:13 am »

MK2 Leon Cupra R, APR Stage 2+. Suspension mods: rear Hotchkis sway bar, Wavetrac diff, Powerflex black series anti-lift kit and Powerflex black series front bushings set.

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 12:18:09 pm »
I was thinking about getting the vibra technics dogbone mount. Most reviews seem to state that there is no extra noise/vibration.

Mine is also the daily drive used on the school run.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 12:25:14 pm »

MK2 Leon Cupra R, APR Stage 2+. Suspension mods: rear Hotchkis sway bar, Wavetrac diff, Powerflex black series anti-lift kit and Powerflex black series front bushings set.

Stock suspension? Dampers/Springs?

Offline illeon

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 12:48:44 pm »
Yes, stock dampers & springs. I have no intention of replacing them as long they are working fine.

Once they will start to leak (whenever that'll happen), I'll probably go for KW or Ohlins, if they have something for LCRs.

Offline illeon

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 12:55:14 pm »
I was thinking about getting the vibra technics dogbone mount. Most reviews seem to state that there is no extra noise/vibration.

Mine is also the daily drive used on the school run.

I used the Powerflex black series lower engine mount insert, which made the car vibrate so much, that my kids complained of stomach ache.

I don't know if the Vibratechnics mount is any different than the what they manufacture for VWR, but the VWR branded mount does introduce some increase in NVH, according to reviews.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 01:04:21 pm »
You can also read @MC71 review in his project about the Vibratechnics dogbone mount bushings. I followed his recommendation and I'm pleased with the outcome. :smiley:

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 01:09:41 pm »
I have a bit of engine movement which i think is causing something to touch the chassis when in drive/reverse. It may be the exhaust, but every time i jack the car up there seems to be good clearance.

How about refreshing with a new oem mount? She is 11 this year.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 01:12:43 pm »
I have a bit of engine movement which i think is causing something to touch the chassis when in drive/reverse. It may be the exhaust, but every time i jack the car up there seems to be good clearance.

How about refreshing with a new oem mount? She is 11 this year.
It won't hurt to do it, I think. A stock GTI shouldn't really take advantage of these more expensive bits. :confused:

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 01:29:12 pm »
It won't hurt to do it, I think. A stock GTI shouldn't really take advantage of these more expensive bits. :confused:
If it gets rid of the rattle i don't mind. Just thinking that the vibra mount may be easier to get into the subframe as i don't have a press.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 01:30:39 pm »
If it gets rid of the rattle i don't mind. Just thinking that the vibra mount may be easier to get into the subframe as i don't have a press.
Nope, it's not easy to fit IIRC what my mechanic told me when he fitted it. He used a press.