Make a donation

Author Topic: Steering wheel light lit up yellow whilst driving  (Read 9993 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 688
Re: Steering wheel light lit up yellow whilst driving
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 04:35:38 pm »
Yeah that's me!  400hp & 350lbft in the end, and it's 100kg lighter than the ED30!  I did run it at 500ish hp for a while but it was just ridiculous, even with a diff, so I wound it back down again.  ED30s can make similar numbers but it's just the way a 6 pot engine with a big turbo can haul arse.  Waaay quicker at the top end than a tuned ED30!

I do like the Eddy though.  The sunroof works for starters  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Ruggy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 10:57:48 pm »
And there's no automatic rear spoiler to break, no bowden cables to snap on the heater, the headlights and the wipers work as they should as well, but..... a Corrado's a Corrado.  Got so much more soul than my Golf. Considering dipping my toe back in and picking one up as a weekend car, it's only been a year but god I miss my C!!!

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 09:02:44 am »
Yeah that's me!  400hp & 350lbft in the end, and it's 100kg lighter than the ED30!  I did run it at 500ish hp for a while but it was just ridiculous, even with a diff, so I wound it back down again.  ED30s can make similar numbers but it's just the way a 6 pot engine with a big turbo can haul arse.  Waaay quicker at the top end than a tuned ED30!

I do like the Eddy though.  The sunroof works for starters  :grin:

Flipping hell, that must have accelerated like a Lamborghini! I think I would have lost my license driving that! Yeah that VR6 engine was special, it's the noise I miss the most and the ability to rev it up to 7k with it still pulling hard whilst the GTI feels breathless past 6k  :sad1: The feedback from the steering was way better than the GTI too giving you the sensation of being at one with the car. The GTI is no doubt a better and faster all round car but the Corrado was dripping in soul in comparsion.

I'm talking myself into wanting one again!

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 09:04:10 am »
And there's no automatic rear spoiler to break, no bowden cables to snap on the heater, the headlights and the wipers work as they should as well, but..... a Corrado's a Corrado.  Got so much more soul than my Golf. Considering dipping my toe back in and picking one up as a weekend car, it's only been a year but god I miss my C!!!

Despite their quirks and faults they really do get under your skin. You should definately do it.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 688
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 02:30:12 pm »
ED30s are much better past 6K because of the bigger turbo obviously, but I know what you mean.  I remember my first drive of a GTI when they were launched and thinking "Is that it?" when I hit 5500rpm ish.  It felt a bit like the handbrake was pulled up!  The GTI is better at the bottom end than an Eddy though, loads punchier.

Lol funny you should say that about a Lamboghini.  I did once get into a little 50 - 100 midrange pull with a Gallardo and there wasn't a lot in it  :grin: 
I'm past Corradoism now though.  Being an old crust, I like ride quality and creature comforts now and MK5s are way more refined than Corrados!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 09:12:57 am »
This problem has reoccured twice since the first time. Both times I was able to switch the car off and then on and the light would disappear. Again no heavy steering or any other symptoms.

I have been reading up on a few American forums and a few people have mentioned the ground/earth points can work loose or corrode causing the light to come on, cleaning them up and reattaching seems to fix them. It might explain the intermittent nature of the fault.

Does anyone know where the earth point for the steering rack is? It's worth a try I guess.

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 09:57:48 am »
I have found this excellent self study document on the MK5 Golf steering system if anyone is interested: http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_317.pdf

This particular statement is interesting 'In the case of brief voltage drops below
9 volts, the warning lamp will light up yellow'

So the case of a dodgy battery or earth point throwing up the fault could be more feasible than expected.

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 41
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 11:25:27 am »
I know this thread is about issues with a steering light (apologies for the hijack), but reading your guys' comments on the Corrado has made me reminisce about mine.

I had a nugget yellow G60 for 8 long years and loved it to bits, and it's been 8 years now since I sold it - where does the time go? Although it was brilliant then, I couldn't go back to it now. Love the creature comforts too much of modern cars.
Previous motors (in order of succession since 1994):-

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
VW Corrado G60 Supercharged
Volvo C70 2.0 Turbo Convertible
Audi TT MK1 1.8T quattro (225)
Mercedes CLS 320 V6
Audi TT MK1 3.2 V6 Quattro
Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Quattro
VW Golf MK5 GTi 2.0 Turbo

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 01:12:45 pm »
I know this thread is about issues with a steering light (apologies for the hijack), but reading your guys' comments on the Corrado has made me reminisce about mine.

I had a nugget yellow G60 for 8 long years and loved it to bits, and it's been 8 years now since I sold it - where does the time go? Although it was brilliant then, I couldn't go back to it now. Love the creature comforts too much of modern cars.

Nice, I can't remember the last time I saw a yellow Corrado  :happy2: I got rid of mine 5 years ago and I still find myself missing it from time to time. To be honest the creature comforts of modern cars don't really bother me as long as the car has power steering, central locking, electric windows and a heater I'm happy, give me a car that drives well and communicates with the driver any day of the week!

I think the Corrado started to look really dated over the last few years but not in a good way which is one of the reasons I got rid along with having my first born my needs shifted towards a safer, more modern car which is where the MK5 GTI excels. I will no doubt have another sometime in the future.

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 41
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2015, 03:48:11 pm »
I do miss the purr of the supercharger!

From time to time I go onto eBay/Pistonheads and see what is out there - not many original examples left. I see what you mean about it looking dated. At the time of my ownership, I thought this is one car that would never age - it would always look good and a true future classic. I'm unsure now about the looks.
Previous motors (in order of succession since 1994):-

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
VW Corrado G60 Supercharged
Volvo C70 2.0 Turbo Convertible
Audi TT MK1 1.8T quattro (225)
Mercedes CLS 320 V6
Audi TT MK1 3.2 V6 Quattro
Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Quattro
VW Golf MK5 GTi 2.0 Turbo

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 08:44:48 am »
I'm happy to say that this problem has been solved and the culprit was a slowly dying car battery.

Towards the end of it's life the car would completely cut out whilst turning over, the clocks would reset and I would get all the warning lights on the dash appear. I took a standing reading at 11.4V so it was definitely time for a change.

I managed to source a top of the range Varta Silver battery for it, put it in a couple of weeks ago and since then I have had no more yellow lights  :happy2:

I'm guessing the electric steering on these cars draw a lot of current from the battery and if the battery is weak or dying it could cause strange fault codes to appear.

Morale of the story is check your car battery before forking out on an expensive steering rack replacment  :driver: