Make a donation

Author Topic: looked at a gti mk5 today  (Read 2422 times)

Offline meandmygti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
looked at a gti mk5 today
« on: January 28, 2016, 11:55:09 pm »
Been to look at a nice mk5 gti today 58 plate registered early 2009 done 64k. I was told by the seller that he not started the gti for about 2 week and upon firing up the idle was rough running sounded like it wasn't running on all cyclinders. We got in and took it for a drive where the seller said it had loss of power wasn't pulling properly to me felt like the turbo wasn't spooling up took it back turned it of fired it back up still rough running.

As I was about to go home got the nod to come have another look as the engine was ok now upon listening it was running much better sounded like it should do took it out for another drive and was pulling me back in the seat this could tell turbo was spooling up so am abit clueless to what could have caused the initial problem? could it have been due to weak battery?
It had plenty of service history all done at VW regular oil changes etc... But one thing I did notice is the timing belt hadn't been changed with it being 64k surely it should have been done by now?

Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks.

Offline ReflexRob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Re: looked at a gti mk5 today
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 02:20:35 pm »
Go back again 2 days later (don't tell them you are coming) and start it again. If the problem persists there are plenty more fish in the sea......

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 03:51:53 pm »
Could be something as simple as a split DV, ideally you need to plug it into a diag machine to check for fault codes.

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 04:27:40 pm »
i'd walk away..  as said plenty more to choose from

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 04:47:44 pm »
buy mine  :jumping:

Offline meandmygti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 07:34:07 pm »

shame your down London pal as would be very interested I am way up in south Yorkshire   :sad1:

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
  • Life is not a straight line!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 09:26:28 pm »

shame your down London pal as would be very interested I am way up in south Yorkshire   :sad1:

the right car is worth travelling for...;)
Steel Grey 2006 Mk5 GTI - R-TECH Stage 1 (268bhp/334ftlb) - BCS Cat Back - Pre-Cat Delete - Carbonio Panel Filter - Rev G DV - 18" BBS CH - Leather - RNS510 - Colour Coded Bumpers and Skirts - ED30 Front Splitter - Eibach Sportlines - Open Fog Grilles - Wind Deflectors.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 11:10:43 pm »

I bought my tt from Blackburn and travelled there 3 times. first to look at a tt but wasnt what they said it was. then went to see another and then finally again on collection to with my px car.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 11:29:12 pm by r5gtt »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 11:19:10 pm »

I've been to Blackburn for my tt and before buying that one I came to see another one but it was in a garage and the people sounded too dodgy and 7k was a bit too much for a turbo that wasn't boosting. guy tried to lie to me so I walked out.  :signLOL:

Offline meandmygti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 12:15:11 pm »

I've been to Blackburn for my tt and before buying that one I came to see another one but it was in a garage and the people sounded too dodgy and 7k was a bit too much for a turbo that wasn't boosting. guy tried to lie to me so I walked out.  :signLOL:

Does look a very nice gti pal and I like them in black, what are the dsg boxes like though I test drove a Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.4tsi which is automatic and it was bloody awful :-( don't know if it was my foot on throttle but in normal drive mode it just felt like it wanted to change gear at wrong time and when accelerating it was like it had to think about 3 seconds before it knew what to do lol

I know comparing a Seat to VW is abit silly but its just put me of dsg hehe

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 12:44:13 pm »
First I thought what the heck am I driving haha
I didn't know how to use the paddle gears but once you know how its really cool.
sports mode is awesome and like changing gears in a manual but less effort. It does take a split second to decide what it's doing but 3 seconds that's a lot of time to be thinking  :signLOL:

Offline meandmygti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 04:02:35 pm »
First I thought what the heck am I driving haha
I didn't know how to use the paddle gears but once you know how its really cool.
sports mode is awesome and like changing gears in a manual but less effort. It does take a split second to decide what it's doing but 3 seconds that's a lot of time to be thinking  :signLOL:

It was my first time in an auto so was probably the issue I tried it in drive mode manual where I used paddle shifts but I think my reactions were not quick enough couldn't get it right in sport mode it sempt ok but still like I say just didn't like how it had to think abit when putting foot down 3 seconds is abit ott but it felt crap. I think it was one with a dodgy gearbox to be honest as I read early models suffered with crap boxes didn't fix them really till around 2012.

On another note test drove a focus ST today man am addicted to that engine sound! lol but fuel omg it was on 30 mile distance to empty I drove it about 5 mile with some spirited driving :) and it said I had 5 mile to go when back to dealer!  :confused: god knows what mpg that was wish it was avg mpg now but didn't look I bet it was lucky if it was 20!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 04:50:56 pm »
Did the seller explain what the problem was the first time you went

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 04:54:32 pm »
Yeah I think you found a found a faulty dsg box.

The st is a car I was looking at before the golf and hands down the golf wins every time. petrol guzzling 2.5 engine with high maintenance as ive worked on the st at work. cars sounds awesome but that's about as far as it goes as performance wise it's lacking compared to the gti.

Offline meandmygti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 05:12:30 pm »
Yeah I think you found a found a faulty dsg box.

The st is a car I was looking at before the golf and hands down the golf wins every time. petrol guzzling 2.5 engine with high maintenance as ive worked on the st at work. cars sounds awesome but that's about as far as it goes as performance wise it's lacking compared to the gti.

Was thinking about an ed30 didn't know they had extra 30bhp and the k04 turbo :-) but insurance on a ed30 is stupid its actually about 100 quid cheaper for me to insure a focus st and that's 2.5 litre! I guess its the edition 30 that does the insurance?