Make a donation

Author Topic: Where are all the good GTI's?  (Read 10875 times)

Offline fazi123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
Where are all the good GTI's?
« on: February 02, 2016, 07:00:54 pm »
Hey guys,

I used to own a MK5 GTI a few years ago. I sold it stupidly because I had ordered a new car. Now I'm wanting to get back into one, and I can't find one remotely like the one I sold.

Ideally I'd like xenons and DSG(though this I'm flexible on)and its got to have 5 doors. I don't mind any colour so long as its not silver or red (I just don't like the black bumper/skirts on them). I'd prefer a standard non molested example too.

I also want something which has a FULL service history, less then 90/95k miles and is a straight car (no cat c's or d's).

I've got a budget of about 6k, and can go upto 6.5k for the right car. Initially I was looking at spending closer to 8k, but thats ED30 money or not far off it so I decided it wouldn't be wise to sink the money into a standard GTI.

Anybody know where cars like this are hiding?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:40:49 pm by fazi123 »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Where are all the good GTI's?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 07:33:22 pm »
keep lookin in the for sale section on here

Offline Berry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 07:33:52 pm »
You checked the for Sale thread on here? Although if you want totally standard you may be hard pushed.
My first ports of call are;

Pistonheads
Autotrader
eBay
Gumtree 

Good luck mate, with your budget id imagine you'll get a goodun eventually!   :drinking:
Shadow Blue MK5 GTI

Offline fazi123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 07:44:12 pm »
keep lookin in the for sale section on here

Oh I've been looking a little while now. Theres this one (which is sold and also an Edition 30) http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,102218.0.html Which I'd have bought if it was available! It looks perfect! But either that was too cheap or standard GTI's are just asking for too much money :(

Offline fazi123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 07:47:04 pm »
You checked the for Sale thread on here? Although if you want totally standard you may be hard pushed.
My first ports of call are;

Pistonheads
Autotrader
eBay
Gumtree 

Good luck mate, with your budget id imagine you'll get a goodun eventually!   :drinking:

I've been looking on all of them sites hourly lol.

I don't mind subtle (cosmetic) mods, but I hate engine mods with a passion. I've read too many stories when/if something goes wrong other garages find it difficult to diagnose the issue and end up blaming the tuner and it could end up being a money pit.

Offline Berry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 08:25:53 pm »
Fair play.
Check this out;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/252138332579

I was tempted but couldn't quite justify it at this time so will stick to my old faithful!
Anyway, at the time (about a month ago)  I contacted the chap after auction ended and he hadn't sold it, so if that's still the case and you like the look of it, maybe give the guy a shout? It's quite a way away but looked a good one I thought. Worth travelling for a good one.
Shadow Blue MK5 GTI

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 08:43:12 pm »
I had exactly the same problem when i started searching for my gti in mid 2014 looking for an unmolested one with low mileage  which took over 6 months to find until this one came up in auto trader for almost £7000 went to have a look at it and it was what I was looking for with low miles black full leather 18 monza which were a bonus but then in march 2015 the prices fell and they were dirt cheap with higher miles but cheaper than my purchase price by a few grand which was shocking but then again I have a gti with low miles stamped and vosa checked so wasn't too fussed although the pri** could have polishes and valeted it for the price I paid which was promised but never happened.

Come and have a look if you're interested  :signLOL:

Good luck

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • Life is not a straight line!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 09:47:35 am »
I was looking for about 5 months before finally buying my 06 GTI with 78k for £5,700.

I traveled a good 200 miles for it too.

Just keep looking in all the places mentioned on the thread and something will pop up.

I found mine on auto trader...:)
Steel Grey 2006 Mk5 GTI - R-TECH Stage 1 (268bhp/334ftlb) - BCS Cat Back - Pre-Cat Delete - Carbonio Panel Filter - Rev G DV - 18" BBS CH - Leather - RNS510 - Colour Coded Bumpers and Skirts - ED30 Front Splitter - Eibach Sportlines - Open Fog Grilles - Wind Deflectors.

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 10:24:07 am »
Don't put too much emphasis on it. You'll end up buying something you're not 100% comfortable with.

When I was looking back in November, I just kept casually glancing on the Internet a few times a day. If it came up, it came up. Luckily for me, it really came up haha.
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline raz469

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 11:53:10 am »
I was looking for about 6 months before i got mine. I found it on autotrader priced at £7000 for around 45k miles   i still cant believe it. The car seems straight with heated leathers, 5dr gti dsg, and a sunroof! It had a vw history up to the last owner who put about 20k on it. Apparently the first owner was a showroom. I just wish it had xenons and folding mirror as the yellow lights just date the car by 10 years.
I guess you should just keep looking, and to have my honest advice think of the kind of owner you would like to buy it from and work out where they would advertise it. Hope you find what your after happy hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 12:05:05 pm »
I was looking for about 6 months before i got mine. I found it on autotrader priced at £7000 for around 45k miles   i still cant believe it. The car seems straight with heated leathers, 5dr gti dsg, and a sunroof! It had a vw history up to the last owner who put about 20k on it. Apparently the first owner was a showroom. I just wish it had xenons and folding mirror as the yellow lights just date the car by 10 years.
I guess you should just keep looking, and to have my honest advice think of the kind of owner you would like to buy it from and work out where they would advertise it. Hope you find what your after happy hunting

When did you purchase yours mate?.

Mine was 2014 and there were no others at the time with low miles all high mileage. There was one in Aberdeen for 5k 76k black with black leather DSG 5door and those limited ED wheels in dark grey. Unfortunately I didn't want to travel that far and be disappointed so bought mine 60 miles away.

Offline raz469

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 12:17:28 pm »
I only got it a month ago, about 50 miles away from london. The other cars were no where near the same value for money, or clean

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 12:29:00 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah there are some really sorry gti's out there that's why I paid that bit extra for mine as it was as you say clean and value for the money. Although clean and in dirty baskeet didn't valet it or polish the body as promised  :signLOL: what a pri** but never mind it's clean now  :smiley:

Offline fazi123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 12:56:09 pm »
Fair play.
Check this out;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/252138332579

I was tempted but couldn't quite justify it at this time so will stick to my old faithful!
Anyway, at the time (about a month ago)  I contacted the chap after auction ended and he hadn't sold it, so if that's still the case and you like the look of it, maybe give the guy a shout? It's quite a way away but looked a good one I thought. Worth travelling for a good one.

Cheers bud! I've messaged him and I should find out if its available fairly soon :)

Offline fazi123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 12:58:08 pm »
I had exactly the same problem when i started searching for my gti in mid 2014 looking for an unmolested one with low mileage  which took over 6 months to find until this one came up in auto trader for almost £7000 went to have a look at it and it was what I was looking for with low miles black full leather 18 monza which were a bonus but then in march 2015 the prices fell and they were dirt cheap with higher miles but cheaper than my purchase price by a few grand which was shocking but then again I have a gti with low miles stamped and vosa checked so wasn't too fussed although the pri** could have polishes and valeted it for the price I paid which was promised but never happened.

Come and have a look if you're interested  :signLOL:

Good luck

I do quiet like the look of yours, but the lack of factory xenons really puts me off. Though I think you should take some nicer pictures for your ad, it just looks a little unloved with it looking pretty dirty.... or is that you hoping to keep it :P