Make a donation

Author Topic: Where are all the good GTI's?  (Read 10876 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Where are all the good GTI's?
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2016, 06:43:44 pm »
Spent three months looking for the "right" one and after some duds I finally located one on Pistonheads.

Overpaid by £1000 because the private market was so thin for "good" ones.

Factory xenons will limit your choice!
I feel that I paid way over the price for mine £6850 but it was the low miles 67k that swayed me toward it and there weren't any selling at that time either. I didn't know who or what where when and how at the time and just looked up dsg golf gti pit falls. if I knew they had major engine issues like gunking up the inlet then I wouldn't have touched them IMHO. oh and I prefer the quattro to fwd  :signLOL:

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2016, 06:53:30 pm »
Spent three months looking for the "right" one and after some duds I finally located one on Pistonheads.

Factory xenons will limit your choice!
I feel that I paid way over the price for mine £6850 but it was the low miles 67k that swayed me toward it and there weren't any selling at that time either. I didn't know who or what where when and how at the time and just looked up dsg golf gti pit falls. if I knew they had major engine issues like gunking up the inlet then I wouldn't have touched them IMHO. oh and I prefer the quattro to fwd  :signLOL:

I'm not sure that they've got major engine issues per-se but they certainly have their foibles.
As for the intake there's several things you can do...
Use the best fuel, if you do very low mileage/short journeys do an extra oil change every year (Ester based), drive the car properly (by that I mean get the exhaust gas temp up frequently) and treat the intake valve cleaning as a service measure every 3 or 4 years. If it's a £400 bill every 3 years it's £11 into your maintenance budget every month. Hardly going to hurt.

There are so many cars in the VAG range until recently that have this problem and also from other manufacturers.

KTM used this engine (Audi sourced, so a very close derivative) in the X-Bow so it can't be all bad.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:58:55 pm by flashp »

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Southy_

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 07:04:09 pm »

The difference is the extra 30 bhp on the ed and a few body bits from what I know.
There are a number of significant engine upgrades as well. They're quite different in key areas.

I meant price difference. I know what the spec differences are :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 07:10:12 pm »

The difference is the extra 30 bhp on the ed and a few body bits from what I know.
There are a number of significant engine upgrades as well. They're quite different in key areas.

I meant price difference. I know what the spec differences are :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:signLOL: :ashamed: :signLOL:

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2016, 08:28:42 pm »
i paid £9500 for my gti last july.  but imo it was the best in the country at the time.  DSG, leather seats. xenon headlights.  and her bodyworks pretty decent when she's polished  :innocent:
and yeah i know i probably payed over the odds lol but YOLO

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2016, 08:32:35 pm »
i paid £9500 for my gti last july.  but imo it was the best in the country at the time.  DSG, leather seats. xenon headlights.  and her bodyworks pretty decent when she's polished  :innocent:

Not even an ed  :surprised: that I'd s lot of money. miles must have been in the 30's.

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2016, 08:38:44 pm »

Not even an ed  :surprised: that I'd s lot of money. miles must have been in the 30's.

69 lol  all the others with xenons etc at the time were all going for about 8k with mileages in the high 80's   yeah people think im crazy.  but i've got a car thats had an extremely well maintained past and about as high specced as you can get without adding recaros to the mix

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2016, 08:41:23 pm »

That's a lovely looking motor though  :happy2: so if your happy who cares about the price.

This is when you've paid too much http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/first-ever-diesel-land-rover-for-sale/

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2016, 08:47:52 pm »

69 lol  all the others with xenons etc at the time were all going for about 8k with mileages in the high 80's   yeah people think im crazy.  but i've got a car thats had an extremely well maintained past and about as high specced as you can get without adding recaros to the mix
Good gosh.. there's me thinking I paid a lot for my dsg full service history minus the timing kit with full leather seats and black 67k miles in January 2015. I was I a similar position thinking I've got most of it and just need the headlights replaced. then bought an exhaust cat back lol and pflow pipe and Ramair filter anti lift bushes Iridium IX spark plugs haha now I'm looking to expand but have to be patient for now.  :drool:

Offline bingbunny

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2016, 09:39:49 pm »
Tell me more about this mate, sounds like something I could be interested in... Pm me if you have to :)

Ill pm you my number. Im in Cambridgshire so if you are near by you can come and take it for a drive for an hour or so to see if you like it (fuel is on me!).

Car has,

DSG
Full service a few weeks ago including cam belt
Pipercross filter
Reverse sensors
Removed pre-cat
Cruse control
Highline clocks
Curtesy lights (under the wing mirrors etc)
New tires all round(rear ones are budget though, fun in the wet..)
New Diverter Valve (rev G....tried rev D and it was leaking)
New NGK Iridium BKR7EIX spark plugs
Newish Radiator - before I bought it
Cam flower done last service
New Head unit (bluetooth, bluetooth streaming, video, Sat Nav, Shopping app (seriously), Games (really, seriously)

Good points
Starts on the dot every single morning
No smoke
DSG doesn't make any sounds and works perfectly
Turbo is very quiet (although I'm quite deaf)
No engine noises

Bad points
Due DSG service (next on my list)
Dent on bonnet
Scrape on drivers window
Headlights have that common rough look to them
I smoke too much (always window open though)
Drivers heated seat doesn't work - isn't plugged in or something (I hate heated seats so I've not properly looked)
Wheels are curbed - but don't look too bad to me. But I don't worry about that sort of thing so you might find it bad.
It has very VERY slight bubbling showing on the front arches. But I have been told by VW that it is covered under the warrantee and I just need to book it in to get done. But I just haven't had time as of yet. I could get it done or you could.

If you send me a text or call I can take some photos and send them over.

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2016, 11:51:54 pm »

Same here @david25   so many "traders" had dodgy looking ones and the warranties they provide are useless (most had 200 max payouts).

Had no luck with private ads and then one popped up at VW on approved used.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2016, 12:33:33 am »

That's a lovely looking motor though  :happy2: so if your happy who cares about the price.

This is when you've paid too much http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/first-ever-diesel-land-rover-for-sale/
Now that's plain  :stupid: 200.000  :signLOL:

Offline Bigjimknickers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2016, 10:38:51 pm »
I paid £6800 for my totally stock gti in silver, 59K, service history plus I got the dealer to do a 60K service, cam belt & new fan & new air con compression& re gas. I thought it was expensive when I bought it, but my mate who owns a garage took it for an inspection, got it on the ramp & said it all looks good as new. So far it's been ok. :driver:

Offline Bigjimknickers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2016, 10:39:29 pm »
Oh it's a 56 plate, manual, pretty basic spec too.

JackL15

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2016, 02:36:55 pm »
I picked up my 2007 GTi on 26k for £7,900 in November 2014. I thought this was a pretty good price. Its DSG with the leather chairs and some good options and came with full service history from VW. Inside was mint but all the wheels needed doing and the bodywork had a fair few dings as it had spent its life in Notting Hill.