Make a donation

Author Topic: Complete climate control / climatronic failure 2007 Golf GTI help I'm so cold  (Read 1366 times)

graeme.b

Hi guys
My dual climate control (is that climatronic) has died completely.  In fact it failed at the back end of last summer but I work very long hours and before I knew it, it was cold out . . . .

It failed without warning.  One lunchtime I got in the car, and no fan.  I have read every how to and help post I could find about this but I am not sure what to do next.

The car:
2007 UK RHD Golf GTI

The symptoms:

No fan at all.
Heat stuck on maximum - adjusting the temp seems to do nothing.
Vents stuck on face level / dash vents.
Also the lights on the LCD temp displays stopped at the same time.

Here's what I have tried so far:
Checked every fuse.
Tried a direct 12V to the fan - it spins up fine.
Had the resistor pack reconditioned.
Changed some relay on some hidden box that is behind the little drop down cubby hole to the right (read it on some forum?)
Tried a different climate control unit (the bit with the dials on)
Tried to reset it (by holding a series of buttons as shown in some youtube video).

Nothing has made a difference.
I had high hopes for the dials and knobs control unit that I just bought off ebay, and it arrived today.  But is exactly the same - no output no nothing.
I can change the temp and it alters the displays.  Twisting the fan knob lights up that row of lights around it but doesn't make a difference.

I bought some VCDS thing off the net and the fault it shows is something about the fan being an open circuit to ground.  There is power at the fan constantly - I had a switch wired there for a while.  It's like there is no "control" saying what to do with the power it has.

Might be unrelated, but at the exact same the fan / heater stopped, my oil low level sensor stopped working too.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.  I have a 45 minute each way commute and it's so cold I take a hot water bottle in the car.
Thanks!