Make a donation

Author Topic: R32 Exhaust  (Read 29373 times)

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
R32 Exhaust
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:25:06 pm »
I have just purchased a R32 rear bumper. I own a 1.6 FSI. I want an R32 style exhaust to go with the bumper but I do not want a chavy sounding car. I dont want the car to be doing 20mph but sound like it is taking off. I would like maybe a deeper note (if possible). I would like it to sound like either close to a decent meaty car (unsure if this is possible with just an exhaust I doubt it) if not close to stock just a little deeper and louder. I would love it if I could get the burrbling (i made that up) noise of a GTI on tick over  :signLOL:
I know I cannot just buy an R32 exhaust because it wont fit my car. So I typed in custom exhaust on google and powerflow came up. Has anyone heard anything about these? Or know of anyone better to go for?
Also what size tips are the standard? I want slightly bigger as I think they look better when they fill the recesses better!
Sorry for all the questions!
Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Ollie :happy2:

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
Re: R32 Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 11:28:45 pm »
I have just purchased a R32 rear bumper. I own a 1.6 FSI. I want an R32 style exhaust to go with the bumper but I do not want a chavy sounding car. I dont want the car to be doing 20mph but sound like it is taking off. I would like maybe a deeper note (if possible). I would like it to sound like either close to a decent meaty car (unsure if this is possible with just an exhaust I doubt it) if not close to stock just a little deeper and louder. I would love it if I could get the burrbling (i made that up) noise of a GTI on tick over  :signLOL:
I know I cannot just buy an R32 exhaust because it wont fit my car. So I typed in custom exhaust on google and powerflow came up. Has anyone heard anything about these? Or know of anyone better to go for?
Also what size tips are the standard? I want slightly bigger as I think they look better when they fill the recesses better!
Sorry for all the questions!
Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Ollie :happy2:

GTI's burble on tickover? They might rumble a little with a new exhust, but no real burble. Just fit a new backbox, you will probably need to custom though.

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 11:33:30 pm »
Saw a vid on youtube with a gti with exhaust and other mods (dont know what). I mean it kinda varied noise and sound levels not flat like my car. Ill try to find the vid.
Yes it will need to be custom due to the r32 not fitting.
Will it be possible to make it sound deeper and sporty without chavy do you think?
Im going to phone that powerflow in the morning and see what they say!
Cheers :happy2:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:42:50 pm by ollie288 »

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:36:01 pm »
Saw a vid on youtube with a gti with exhaust and other mods (dont know what). I mean it kinda varied noise not flat like my car. Ill try to find the vid.
Yes it will need to be custom due to the r32 not fitting.
Will it be possible to make it sound deeper and sporty without chavy do you think?
Im going to phone that powerflow in the morning and see what they say!
Cheers :happy2:

Powerflow have loads of different back boxes instock and you can have a listen to several different setups to achieve the sound you want. Just try to keep the same diameter pipework though if you get it done by them mate ;)

Mate of mine had his hyundai coupe 1.6 done by powerflow and that sure did sound the nuts. It sounded really really nice, and no one would have guessed by the exhaust note that it was only a 1.6

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 11:42:27 pm »
So powerflow are a reputable company then. It's is the backbox that varies the sound? Is there any need to replace the whole pipe from the manifold or is there no benefit? I noticed when looking under the car the other day that there is black marks around the middle section on a joint. Somebody mentioned that it may be blowing?  :confused: Is that a sign of that or is it normal?
Why do you say keep the same diameter?
Cheers mate  :smiley:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 11:54:05 pm »
Also does anyone know where I can get the carbon fiber rear valance?
Cheers :smiley:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 11:55:06 pm »
So powerflow are a reputable company then. It's is the backbox that varies the sound? Is there any need to replace the whole pipe from the manifold or is there no benefit? I noticed when looking under the car the other day that there is black marks around the middle section on a joint. Somebody mentioned that it may be blowing?  :confused: Is that a sign of that or is it normal?

They always scorch around that joint.

The backbox is the main part in changing the sound. Basically the size and the amount. Some run straight through pipes which sound the nuts on the right cars. Alot of people slag off powerflow, but my mate always went with them.

You want to retain the same diameter to avoid any risk of loosing power. Complete straight through pipes might loose any necessary backpressure also which your car might need.

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 12:14:00 am »
OK, here it comes............ POWERFLOW ARE CR@P (imo)

Had 2 in the past and my brother is currently running one, they are what all the chavs get on the 106's and the like, they are have a certain low down boom drone, they look sh*te after about 6 months as they are stain-less steel (whatever that means)

How much are you wanting to spend and where are you based? would bluflame not do a custom back box for your car as thats where id be spending my hard earned, then youl get tails like TC's and they can tune the sound to your liking.

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 12:18:48 am »

....Mk5 R32 configuration? - The TTshop, Bedford. Made by OSIR - Excellent quality.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 06:23:46 am »

Had 2 in the past and my brother is currently running one, they are what all the chavs get on the 106's and the like, they are have a certain low down boom drone, they look sh*te after about 6 months as they are stain-less steel (whatever that means)

How much are you wanting to spend and where are you based? would bluflame not do a custom back box for your car as thats where id be spending my hard earned, then youl get tails like TC's and they can tune the sound to your liking.

You say they are crap because "chavs" go in and ask for an exhaust louder than the noise the moon would make if it crashed into the earth. They can be good if you specify what you want i.e just the backbox, keep the pipes the same size, and dont get excited by stupid loud exhausts they also sell.

I have seen 2 powerflow exhausts done to a very good quality and sounds oem+, just my 2p

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 08:25:05 am »
nice timing on this thread.as i,m saving hard for a similar thing.i,m prob going blueflame but i keep thinking there must be a cheaper option for me. i know you get what you pay for and i have no doubt that its bluey i want.....would it be cheaper/more sense to get a custom one made-where would i start to look for a local compay that offers that service?
and blueflame does offer lifetime guarantee,thats a def plus for me!!
i cant justify the carbon from osir at this present moment-i know TC got his from guy in germany but i think it was similar money.
or i,m gonna get one from a stealer-about 85 notes and get it wrapped untill i can afford the real deal.
the ebay ones from china are about 130 plus 30 ish for delivery.
anyone else got an input???
joe-are they crap in quality or is it just the type of exhaust that people buy from them and what they do with them?
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 10:57:26 am »

They always scorch around that joint.

The backbox is the main part in changing the sound. Basically the size and the amount. Some run straight through pipes which sound the nuts on the right cars. Alot of people slag off powerflow, but my mate always went with them.

You want to retain the same diameter to avoid any risk of loosing power. Complete straight through pipes might loose any necessary backpressure also which your car might need.

Ahhh I see. Thanks for the info.  :happy2:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 11:39:05 am »

Thanks mate. What did you specify when you had one? That is the exact opposite sound of what I want. Have do you mean they look sh*te? What happens to them?

Im unsure of what I want to spend. I dont know what prices to expect! I have heard that blueflames are expensive around £1000? Would I really need that on a 1.6 or are these performance exhausts for the GTI/R32 etc? You can adjust the sound on the exhaust?  :confused: How do you do that?

Speaking of TC's Blueflame look what i found (Thats a nice noise but wont be possible on mine will it  :sad1:):

Im nr to Birmingham, Kidderminster, Telford, Wolverhampton etc. So anywhere near any of these places you know of. Im willing to travel if there is a good place.

Thanks Joe :happy2:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 02:08:08 pm by ollie288 »

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 11:40:02 am »

....Mk5 R32 configuration? - The TTshop, Bedford. Made by OSIR - Excellent quality.

Yep with the R32 cut out. Ill have a look at the TTshop. Is that the one you have except with dual cutouts RR?  :happy2:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 11:42:19 am »

You say they are crap because "chavs" go in and ask for an exhaust louder than the noise the moon would make if it crashed into the earth. They can be good if you specify what you want i.e just the backbox, keep the pipes the same size, and dont get excited by stupid loud exhausts they also sell.

I have seen 2 powerflow exhausts done to a very good quality and sounds oem+, just my 2p

Good point. I dont want an stupidly loud thing. I would want close to stock maybe a little deeper and more sporty sounding but nothing that is going to make people look at the car from 3 miles away. I would like it to sound like a normal car!
I have read a few reviews and they seem to make the exhaust to a very high quality and will even change the sound of the exhaust after they have fitted it if you dont like the way it sounds after driving it! Cheers :smiley:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:44:36 am by ollie288 »