Make a donation

Author Topic: Paranoid?  (Read 4830 times)

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
Paranoid?
« on: February 16, 2016, 06:57:32 am »
I have put my mk5 2005 golf gti up for sale(swap or px) on gumtree and fb mk5 parts page. Had lots of interest but nothing really good.

Anyway one guy contacted me yesterday with his car details for a straight swap, details below (140bhp tdi 2007). I asked why does he want a swap and said he no longer works 80miles and would like a petrol gti. Seemed fair enough. My car is worth around £3.6k and his £4.2k and he lives around 200miles away, he is willing to come to me and do a straight swap. I also asked if he would put a new mot on as it expires in April. He said yes. Great I thought.

He has provided lots of pictures and said one previous owner being his mum, the car engine, interior and exterior is mint etc. he said it he has some previous aa inspections and lots of receipts and a full history. He assured me it's a genuine sale and that I can arrange my own aa inspection or mechanic to check the car over if I like.

He only asked me if mine was mechanically sound. Does this sound to good to be true?? Or am I  being paranoid. I check mot history and it all checks out fine.

Golf gt sport 2007
85k miles
Full service history
drives spot on.
tons of receipts
2 keys
cambelt/flywheel and clutch just been done
serviced 200 mile ago
4 brand new tyres/pads
steering wheel controls/ipod dock
alloys have just been refurbed
has had a full valet since pictures
completely standard has not been abused
even have a certificate that it hasnt been boy raced lol
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 06:59:39 am by Vwgtiking »

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
Re: Paranoid?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 07:28:10 am »
Meet at a garage, get them both inspected, if everyone is happy then do the swap!

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 07:36:22 am »

Meet at a garage, get them both inspected, if everyone is happy then do the swap!

Unfortunately I can't afford as the reason for the downgrade is a financial one. Mrs is out of work and I can't afford the premiums or petrol atm.

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 08:15:06 am »
where does one get a certificate to prove the car hasn't been boy raced??? lol

Would it be possible to get him to send the MOT document number? with that, you can check on-line if the mileage tallies up with the mileage on the clocks? 

Rich

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 08:59:30 am »
If you're downgrading due to financial reasons, I'd get the TDI checked out. If you don't you could end up with some pretty costly repairs. At 85k if it's not had the most careful of owners you could be looking at some costly bills; DMF, turbo etc. For the sake of a few hundred difference, it may be worth selling up and buying from a dealer and although most "trader" warranties are pretty useless at least you have some comeback (as well as not fit for purpose).

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 09:16:27 am »
So he said welcome to any inspection and has provided lots of pictures and you think it's fake?
I don't understand why you don't just meet up and inspect the car and proceed from there...  :stupid:

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 11:33:44 am »
He is willing to come 200 miles to you so does seem a bit desperate of him. But on the other hand if all HPI reports come back fine then shouldn't be a problem.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 11:51:26 am »
I'm sorry - but a certificate to say it hasn't been boy raced!? What a joke. IMO the guy is trying too hard and is desperate to offload - rings alarm bells with me! But hey, if he wants to travel 200 miles to look at yours, as long as he understands that if you're not happy then you won't be swapping - then maybe it's worth a look

Big risk with a private swap when money is tight - for all you know it could fall apart days later and you'll end up with huge garage bills.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 03:11:46 pm »

Would it be possible to get him to send the MOT document number? with that, you can check on-line if the mileage tallies up with the mileage on the clocks? 

Rich
you can check MOT's online with just the reg number now  :happy2:

Offline prp74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 03:18:39 pm »
He could be genuine a seller. As the above have said, worth checking it out and if you think it's not right, walk away.
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 07:04:17 pm »

Rich

Mot tallies up and I think he is referring to the aa inspection?

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 07:06:51 pm »
Has lots of receipts and had clutch done recently with can belt.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 07:15:43 pm »
Sorry to hear of your misfortune Vwgtiking.
hope it all gets better for you as I know what it's like to be in a situation!!! :sad1:

Get him to pop over as I don't think there is going to be too much to it.
Someone offered me a gttdi last month but I just didn't think it was worth my while as I paid 7k for mine and he's was only worths around 5k but it was a minter. but plain as feck apart from those sweet deep dish alloys lol

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 07:24:29 pm »
Unlock the mk4s there is not many mk5 gtis. And the ones I see for sale same age have around 120k-150k. My neighbours is a Mechanic so will check it over. He said it could be the fact of the hassle to sell a car. Have no wheels until you buy your next one. So swapping is the easiest options.

It just feels to good to be true. My car is £600 cheaper, higher mileage, willing to come to me and put a new mot on it.

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 07:27:24 pm »
I have asked for a copy of the latest aa inspection and engine cert