Make a donation

Author Topic: Frozen Handbrake!  (Read 4557 times)

Offline JamieBiz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 1
  • Hiss, Pop, Gone...
Frozen Handbrake!
« on: February 16, 2016, 02:38:01 pm »
I keep coming out to my frosted car and finding my handbrake is stuck on, i live in south somerset so its not like its even that bad a frost, -2 or -3 maybe this morning.

iv'e never had this with any other car?

I'm guessing the cable is slightly corroded and letting it water somewhere? it takes a good 20-30 min to loosen up with the engine started and some rather dodgy looking jerking motion.

Does anyone else suffer from the same annoying problem? my work mates think im taking the piss when im half an hour late in every time there's a frost!

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
Re: Frozen Handbrake!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 03:09:35 pm »
try a bit of WD40 on the handbrake level at the back. just make sure none gets on the disc or pads

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 03:31:10 pm »
Does the handbrake lever go down but the rear calipers are not releasing?  Sounds more caliper related than cable related to me.  I've not had frozen cables since my MK2 days!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline JamieBiz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Hiss, Pop, Gone...
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 03:35:03 pm »
When i get in the car and let the lever down its just free with resistance and the back left is brake is tight, I've tried 'de-icing' the calipers too with warm water and that didn't seem to do anything.

Im planning on re painting my calipers when i get a nice day to do it, so ill just have to try some WD i guess

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 05:00:54 pm »
Yeah it kind of sounds like the return springs in the Handbrake mechanism in one (or both) caliper(s) isn't pulling the cables tight.   Fairly common.  It's the same basic design of caliper since the MK2!

I went through all this recently and had to have 2 new calipers.  They were beyond strip down and rebuild unfortunately.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline andyR43

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 09:24:03 pm »
Can't you just not use your handbrake until the weather improves?
Leave the car in gear with the front wheels facing, and up against, the kerb?  :wink:

Keeping it original..............or not!!

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 09:31:00 pm »
I've had this on a couple of golfs (mk3 and mk4).

In both cases I was told that there is some sort of rubber boots at the end of the cable near the caliper.  When this perishes, water travels up the cable in the wey, which freezes overnight. 

Both times I just lived with it by not using handbrake in winter, and having my MOT done in the summer!

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 08:28:43 am »
try a bit of WD40 on the handbrake level at the back. just make sure none gets on the disc or pads

WD40 is a penetrant not a lubricant. It might free it up in the short term but it evaporates in no time. If you're looking long term you'll need grease :drinking:

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 09:30:53 am »
I had it on the Mk4 and replaced the handbrake cables. they weren't expensive at all and it took maybe an hour to change them - never had a problem again. The rubber boots on the end will be split and will have allowed water ingress.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline JamieBiz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Hiss, Pop, Gone...
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 04:28:48 pm »
Thanks Guys!

Ill be replacing the cable as i park on a slight hill and the car that parks behind me is generally a jacked up landy with bull bars... so i would be replacing my rear window if something ever went wrong!  :signLOL: