Make a donation

Author Topic: Lowering & Speed bump info  (Read 1651 times)

Offline deedaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 5
Lowering & Speed bump info
« on: February 17, 2016, 08:58:38 pm »
Hi

(VW/Newbie)

Im just thinking about lowering the car at somepoint, but where I live (West London), there seems to be more speed bumps, then road now days!!!... So I wanted to know, if this modification would cause me problems, therefore not worth the aggro?

Any thoughts?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Lowering & Speed bump info
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 09:03:19 pm »
If you stick to Eibach or H&R you'll be ok. There's always the odd monster speedbump that might need a bit more care but no lower than a 30mm drop and you'll clear the majority without a problem.

Things get trickier when you go lower on coilovers.

Offline deedaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 09:05:09 pm »
Great, thanks for the info

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 09:27:01 pm »
Dee ill show you my car on Saturday which I've lowered on eibach sportline springs. Ill take you for a quick spin. I only catch on speed bumps if i have 2 people in the back but it dont catch that much

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
  • Life is not a straight line!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 10:06:04 am »
If you stick to Eibach or H&R you'll be ok. There's always the odd monster speedbump that might need a bit more care but no lower than a 30mm drop and you'll clear the majority without a problem.

Things get trickier when you go lower on coilovers.

What he said.

I work in a lot of council estates here in Bristol which have pretty much got speed humps on all the roads (pretty evil ones at that) and with my eibach sportlines i get over them just fine as long as i am careful, but i don't have to be overly careful...:)
Steel Grey 2006 Mk5 GTI - R-TECH Stage 1 (268bhp/334ftlb) - BCS Cat Back - Pre-Cat Delete - Carbonio Panel Filter - Rev G DV - 18" BBS CH - Leather - RNS510 - Colour Coded Bumpers and Skirts - ED30 Front Splitter - Eibach Sportlines - Open Fog Grilles - Wind Deflectors.

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 10:56:41 am »
I'm on VW Racing springs, and am also surrounded by speed humps - south London. I only catch the narrow humps you straddle if I have 4 or 5 people in the car.

Nice ride too, not far off OEM at all (the Mrs wouldn't have even noticed if i didn't tell her, and my parents didn't clock it was lowered when my Dad was driving it for a couple of weeks over xmas while they were visiting from abroad).

Perfect drop if you have to deal with lots of humps IMO.

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |