Make a donation

Author Topic: "Track Day" around Yorkshire?  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
"Track Day" around Yorkshire?
« on: February 17, 2016, 12:19:14 pm »
I'd quite like to take my car on the track, as I don't feel comfortable exploiting it on the road and I'd feel more comfortable on a track. Think I'd enjoy my car more as well. Driving in the city kind of kills any fun of the car.

When I say track day, what I actually want to do is go around in a moderate manner for 2-3 laps. I'm well aware that most of the components on my standard car won't be up to the task of an all out attack (e.g., brakes, cooling etc). This is NOT my intention. I just want to go around some bends  :signLOL:

I'm a complete novice, I haven't ever been on a track day. But I'm well aware of my limits and do not intend to push hard.

So, what kind of place would do this around Yorkshire? Anybody done it?

Cheers
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: "Track Day" around Yorkshire?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 12:57:38 pm »
Elvington in York is an airfield based autodrome as far as I know.  Airfield days are best to begin honing your skills and testing the limits of the car and yourself.  More open areas, no barriers, more run off areas etc.

RAF Wittering and MOD Woodbridge have track days on their airfields via Javelin Trackdays. 

Blyton park is a fairly open, flat, benign circuit ideal for getting into the swing of things!

Its a very fun, addictive hobby.  You are already mindful of the abuse the car may take which is good as you';; be conscious of keeping the serviceable parts checked and serviced!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 01:46:11 pm by Tfsi_Mike »

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 08:57:46 pm »
Elvington in York is an airfield based autodrome as far as I know.  Airfield days are best to begin honing your skills and testing the limits of the car and yourself.  More open areas, no barriers, more run off areas etc.

RAF Wittering and MOD Woodbridge have track days on their airfields via Javelin Trackdays. 

Blyton park is a fairly open, flat, benign circuit ideal for getting into the swing of things!

Its a very fun, addictive hobby.  You are already mindful of the abuse the car may take which is good as you';; be conscious of keeping the serviceable parts checked and serviced!

Cheers for the reply mate. I've looked into a few of those and Blyton Park looks like a good option. Looks like it's simple to get into the groove of it.

Yep I'm definitely aware of the car's limitations (and my own!). I'm fully expecting to come back and Google the new parts I need to improve the car  :signLOL:

It's addictive just thinking about it!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 09:08:53 pm »

I'm booked on Bedford autodrome 21 March, just hoping my engine is back together, run in and mapped by then  :scared:

Offline GTI8v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 09:53:12 pm »
Also have a look at Croft circuit as they regularly hold trackdays

Offline Johnsy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 10:57:58 pm »
Cadwell park is quite an enjoyable twisty track with a lot of elevation changes, often touted as the mini-nurgburgring .

Croft is fast and flat.

I'd recommend Looking for a novice day or sessioned track-day,that way your on track with drivers of a similar standard and if the latter there's usually only 10 cars on track for 20mins out of every hour, which is easier on you and the car with plenty of room on track.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 10:19:01 am »

As much as I prefer the freedom of open pit lane, session may be sensible for less traffic and similar skill levels

Wanting to do Croft this year.  Hoping; Bedford, Anglesey, Croft and Silverstone this year isn't too ambitious.  With maybe a blyton day and a couple of caldwell evenings!!

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 10:43:49 am »
From my limited experience (and feedback from others), Circuit Days trackday sessions are better run, a little quieter, with less nutters, than Javelin trackdays.

Also, I think the only absolute must-dos to run your car on track are to make sure it is generally road worthy and up to date with maintenance (check fluid levels, tyre pressures etc), and definitely change the brake fluid for something like ATE TYP200 or Motul RBF660.

Have fun!

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 11:44:33 am »

I'm booked on Bedford autodrome 21 March, just hoping my engine is back together, run in and mapped by then  :scared:

Best of luck mate. Bedford looks to be a really nice circuit. Shame its 150 miles away from me. Don't want to travel so far for only a few laps.

Also have a look at Croft circuit as they regularly hold trackdays

Cadwell park is quite an enjoyable twisty track with a lot of elevation changes, often touted as the mini-nurgburgring .

Croft is fast and flat.

I'd recommend Looking for a novice day or sessioned track-day,that way your on track with drivers of a similar standard and if the latter there's usually only 10 cars on track for 20mins out of every hour, which is easier on you and the car with plenty of room on track.

Croft looks nice, but Cadwell looks like my first choice. Really nice elevation changes that gives it some character.
I definitely want to on with beginners. I don't want to be regularly holding up other people.

From my limited experience (and feedback from others), Circuit Days trackday sessions are better run, a little quieter, with less nutters, than Javelin trackdays.

Also, I think the only absolute must-dos to run your car on track are to make sure it is generally road worthy and up to date with maintenance (check fluid levels, tyre pressures etc), and definitely change the brake fluid for something like ATE TYP200 or Motul RBF660.

Have fun!

This was my next question really, who to book it through. Looks like Circuit Days don't have Cadwell until June. That's too far away!

Good call on the brake fluid, it's due a change so I'll go for the upgraded fluid you mentioned. Won't circumvent the poor brakes, however.

What's the best approach? 2-3 laps, then cool down? And then repeat a couple of times? Most of the days look to be full days? Even if my car can do that, I'm not keen to put it through that. I'm looking for maybe two hours including breaks.

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 12:06:25 pm »
I think you're underestimating what the car can take! It'll be fine as long as you don't go nuts, or run it continuously all day.

My advice would be to definitely book in with an instructor, perhaps a couple of 20min sessions, one early in the morning if you can. That'll help you get comfortable on track, learn where to brake/turn-in etc.

In terms of taking it easy on the car, when you go out, build up over a lap at least to get tyres and brakes warm, do a few laps, then make sure you do a cool down half/full lap to get some airflow cooling everything back down. When you bring the car back in, do not use the handbrake - just put it in gear and turn the engine off. About 15-20min on track is about the max I'd want to do before coming back in. You can take a break as long as you like.

I just remembered something else. Years and years ago, I did an all day driving training course with a company called Ride Drive. I went out in the morning with an ex-police instructor, who showed me the police advanced driving methods on some nice B roads (lots of driving on the wrong side of the road at speed), and then we went to bruntingthorpe for a couple of hours - did some handling sruff, then laps around the track. We would have then done more road driving in the afternoon if my clutch housing in my S4 hadn't disintegrated down the back straight on the final lap!   :surprised: That was a shame, but the car was on 80k on the original clutch, so it was due to go. Aside from that, it was a good day and included a bit of track time. I got a certificate at the end of it that gave me a discount at Adrian Flux.

They have instructors around the country, might be worth giving them a call.

http://www.ridedrive.co.uk/performance-driving-menu.htm

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 06:58:59 pm »
I think you're underestimating what the car can take! It'll be fine as long as you don't go nuts, or run it continuously all day.

My advice would be to definitely book in with an instructor, perhaps a couple of 20min sessions, one early in the morning if you can. That'll help you get comfortable on track, learn where to brake/turn-in etc.

In terms of taking it easy on the car, when you go out, build up over a lap at least to get tyres and brakes warm, do a few laps, then make sure you do a cool down half/full lap to get some airflow cooling everything back down. When you bring the car back in, do not use the handbrake - just put it in gear and turn the engine off. About 15-20min on track is about the max I'd want to do before coming back in. You can take a break as long as you like.

I just remembered something else. Years and years ago, I did an all day driving training course with a company called Ride Drive. I went out in the morning with an ex-police instructor, who showed me the police advanced driving methods on some nice B roads (lots of driving on the wrong side of the road at speed), and then we went to bruntingthorpe for a couple of hours - did some handling sruff, then laps around the track. We would have then done more road driving in the afternoon if my clutch housing in my S4 hadn't disintegrated down the back straight on the final lap!   :surprised: That was a shame, but the car was on 80k on the original clutch, so it was due to go. Aside from that, it was a good day and included a bit of track time. I got a certificate at the end of it that gave me a discount at Adrian Flux.

They have instructors around the country, might be worth giving them a call.

http://www.ridedrive.co.uk/performance-driving-menu.htm

You're right. I am very cautious of the car's abilities. But I think it's safer to err on the side of caution (including my abilities).

The training looks good, and having someone in the passenger seat guiding me is useful. But it's something for a later stage. I've done quite a bit of karting so I'm familiar with the racing line etc. Obviously a road car is different, hence my mild trepidation.

Do people get track day insurance?

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 25
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95928.60.html
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 07:46:14 pm »
If it's not too much I would get an instructor I did a track day at thruxton I won't with Pirelli and it taught me a lot more than the racing line.
I've always been a car nut from a young age and a big f1 fan so like yourself I was familiar with a lot of things but just 1hour with an ex touring car driver taught me a lot  :happy2:
I also got to ride with tiff needel in an m3 for 3 laps who made everyone else look like Sunday drivers!

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 07:52:22 pm »
If it's not too much I would get an instructor I did a track day at thruxton I won't with Pirelli and it taught me a lot more than the racing line.
I've always been a car nut from a young age and a big f1 fan so like yourself I was familiar with a lot of things but just 1hour with an ex touring car driver taught me a lot  :happy2:
I also got to ride with tiff needel in an m3 for 3 laps who made everyone else look like Sunday drivers!

Yeah if it's not too much, I'll consider it. I have a lot to learn.

I was watching the Tiff clips the other day. The man is talented and hilarious. I like how he waves to the camera when he's drifting.

Have you previously got insurance for your track days?

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 25
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95928.60.html
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 08:16:34 pm »

Yeah if it's not too much, I'll consider it. I have a lot to learn.

I was watching the Tiff clips the other day. The man is talented and hilarious. I like how he waves to the camera when he's drifting.

Have you previously got insurance for your track days?

I've never been on a track day in my own car mate :( the insurance thing is a question I was going to ask in my last post though! Would be interested to hear how much it is from other people?

And yeh tiff is best driver I've been in with I have the DVD somewhere of him drifting pass people really trying there hardest in a 458 haha amazing how much momentum he can carry through corners, really talented

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 08:17:54 am »
Another vote for Croft here