Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk6 radio fitting to mk5  (Read 13891 times)

Offline V4thc

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Mk6 radio fitting to mk5
« on: February 18, 2016, 12:59:15 am »
Hi forum has been a great help recently loving it anyways i am about to buy a mk6 radio off my mate as he is pretty much giving it away but would i be able to make it work in my mk5 would it go straight in or require converters and others cables to make it work don't know the exact model yet but will tomorrow and will post a picture in but it is the satnav one out of the mk6 with 6 buttons he says dunno if that is any help but getting a photo tomorrow so will let yous guys know think it will make my car more modern getting rid of hat chunky mk5 one anybody else fitted a mk6 golf radio in a mk5 any help will be much appricated as am not good with eletronics or radio not my game so any help no matter how small will be much appricated as always

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
Re: Mk6 radio fitting to mk5
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 10:04:02 am »
Hi,

All OEM Mk6 units fit nicely into the mk5 (that I know of), however earlier mk5 cars (2005-2007) often require a 'gateway' or wiring loom replaced otherwise battery drain will occur after fitting a mk6 stereo. If you have a later 2007 or 2008 car however, you should be fine  :happy2:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 10:44:53 am »
Never heard of the need to replace the wiring loom to fit mk6 radios, you just might need to update the wiring loom of the BT module because older modules only have Mono sound and the newer have Stereo, so the newer looms have 2 additional wires for the left speakers.

Older mk5 need to upgrade the gateway or fit a PolarFIS BT/Battery module.

Offline olsen-72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
  • Redditch
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 10:56:23 am »
Radio on its own is plug and play with a bot of coding. No wires needed for it.
As mentioned before - If your car is 2007 and older you will need new gateway for it
STAGING/NEEDLE SWEEP ON ALL WHITE CLOCKS
LIT NEEDLESS, MILES TO EMPTY
GENUINE CAN GATEWAY - SUPPLY AND FIT
CRUISE CONTROL -  SUPPLY AND FIT ALL VW's
CLOCKS CODING - VW SEAT SKODA UP TO 2014
SCIROCCO CLOCKS CONVERSION

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 09:56:32 am »
Never heard of the need to replace the wiring loom to fit mk6 radios, you just might need to update the wiring loom of the BT module because older modules only have Mono sound and the newer have Stereo, so the newer looms have 2 additional wires for the left speakers.

My apologies - by wiring loom, I meant gateway.
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 12:13:16 pm »

Could this be a reason why I get a lot of bass when using MDI with my RNS510? Or is it because my speakers are rubbish? Lol (they are OEM speakers)

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 12:17:29 pm »

Could this be a reason why I get a lot of bass when using MDI with my RNS510? Or is it because my speakers are rubbish? Lol (they are OEM speakers)
I don't have a MDI, but I think all came with Stereo sound. I'd guess that the speakers aren't good enough. If you use your SD card reader do you have the same issue?

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 03:43:56 pm »
With SD it's fine just the MDI I have to turn the bass down a fair bit. Not a problem to be honest just wondered if there was a reason behind it