Make a donation

Author Topic: URGENT oil pressure stop engine  (Read 201600 times)

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
Re: URGENT oil pressure stop engine
« Reply #735 on: April 14, 2016, 11:29:59 am »
I'm curious about my timing again now, think i'll have to break out the laptop after work and check

Please let me know the result.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #736 on: April 14, 2016, 01:50:04 pm »
I can do a proper how to guide this week as I'll be doing my chain on Wednesday hopefully

Good stuff.  I've data logged mine over a couple of 30 min journeys now, so if you need any reference data, let me know.

Might be worth posting a bit of it anyway Pudding, just for others.

Yeah it's just raw data in excel.  Need to make some pretty graphs first so it's more meaningful!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #737 on: April 14, 2016, 01:53:40 pm »
Thanks. Ive ordered a second hand rev h vacuum pump so I will clean everything up, and then replace the vac pump. I think I might as well replace the valve cover gasket at the same time. After ive replaced the gasket and the vac pump I will then clean everything up with aerosol spray and see if it solves it. What do you think about this plan @doylebros ?

Everything in vcds looks good however, apart from block 93 which reads -3kw. I think @Pudding said this should be 0 to -2kw. @vRSAlex any thoughts?

I think you've got a bit of oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold.

As for the cam position (block 93).  -2KW is a number I've seen quoted quite a few times now but I think 1 or 2 KW difference won't make a huge difference.  Mine's moved to -1KW now, so I think things tend to settle after a while. Check it again after you've done 500 miles or so.

I think there is an allowable range the ECU can accept before it can no longer 'see' the cam position.  Given your cam timing is tracking as it should, you can assume the ECU is happy with the signals it's getting.   If yours read something like - or + 10KW, that would be a pontential problem!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #738 on: April 14, 2016, 01:57:57 pm »
Hmm not sure, stuck my head down the back and had a look at the back of the valve cover, and although there is black oily deposit, it doesn't look like liquid oil. It is slightly damp however, but I think its always been there. I've noted it before I think.

I couldn't see any oil on the exhaust manifold.

I think i'll go ahead and replace the gasket anyway as ill be able to see more with the valve cover off as well, as well as replacing the vacuum pump to see if makes any difference. It is likely to be an oil leak right, its not likely to be smoke coming out of the engine somehow right? Touches wood.

Offline usman89

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #739 on: April 14, 2016, 02:29:12 pm »
Read the whole thread, took couple of hours but I really wanted to see a positive result. Well done for persevering especially after all this time. Glad to see you have the car back on the road (minus the few niggles)   :congrats:

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #740 on: April 14, 2016, 05:57:43 pm »
So ive just had it up to temp and im not sure whether Its because I cleaned it up a little bit or not but it wasnt smoking today. Im not sure whether to give it a real good clean with aerosol and see over the next week whether it leaks and gets dirty again or just replace it anyway

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #741 on: April 14, 2016, 06:28:24 pm »
60 minutes at 70 MPH will show up any leaks.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #742 on: April 14, 2016, 06:33:25 pm »
I've got the chance to do that tomorrow, what should I ook for when I arrive at my destination? Smoke? Going to cambridge with the girlfriend for her birthday. Sure she wont mind me doing a little tinkering when we get there for five minutes... :evilgrin:

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #743 on: April 14, 2016, 06:40:33 pm »
Use whatever method you find suits you to examine the areas you know you've had bits removed from.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #744 on: April 14, 2016, 06:47:53 pm »
Thanks John logical and practical as ever

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #745 on: April 14, 2016, 11:33:46 pm »
I'm curious about my timing again now, think i'll have to break out the laptop after work and check

Please let me know the result.
-4kw on block 93 so i'd say yours is fine
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=jjgs0a2ra2vis663a1lpail8u4&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #746 on: April 15, 2016, 09:32:48 am »
Just checked mine

Block 91:
Specified 24kw
actual fluctuates between 22.5kw to 25.5kw

Block 93: -2kw

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #747 on: April 15, 2016, 09:00:15 pm »
So, after cleaning the oil out of the gearbox cast webs yesterday at around noon it hasnt filled up again, which is strange because I havnt repaced the vac pump yet. Done no work, and it hasnt leaked anymore. Before it would fill up again after cleaning after about four or five hours.

After approx an hour at 50/60/70 it hasnt smoked again, but there is still a faint smell of burning when stopped with windows open, or if you open the honnet and put your head near the engine. But no smoke.

I think tomorrow I will replace the valve gasket anyway, and give everything a good clean up. Then I will see if it still smells after cleaning. Im not receiving the vac pump untill next week so wont be able to replace that, but as I mentioned it doesnt appear to be leaking still (if it was that).

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #748 on: April 15, 2016, 09:22:02 pm »
Also, I dont need to remove the hpfp to remove the vakve cover to fit the new gasket do I? I cant think why I would but just checking

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #749 on: April 15, 2016, 09:26:54 pm »
Pleased things continue to move in the right direction for you Pesky  :happy2:

I have mentioned the difficulty of getting the oil out of the casting webs earlier it's tricky.

I would do a really good inspection for any further residual oil from the repair areas and clean it like it was your body work, then take it for another drive out.
After enjoying the ride out I would then inspect it again for any leaks, like a doctor not a nurse!

On the smell issues ask one of your pals if they can smell any odours in case your just over thinking it.