Make a donation

Author Topic: car starts like crap  (Read 4092 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: car starts like crap
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 01:47:59 pm »
Mine fires up into a smooth idle immediately and always has done  :smiley:

Do you hear the in-tank pump prime when you open the driver's door?  If not, that's your problem.

If you do hear it, I'd suggest fuel filter and  / or in-tank pump might need looking at.  The in-tank pump was revised at some point in the MK5's life and I threw one in mine when it started getting noisy.

Cheers, I can hear it click and buzz for a few seconds when I first open the door. The fuel filter was changed about 2 years ago so that should be fine. What's a rough price on a new in tank pump fitted do you know?

I think it was about £150ish when I did it last year.    Was it a genuine filter?  They have a pressure regulator built-in which if it fails, allows fuel to drain back and reduce the pressure.  Aftermarket filters aren't as good as VW ones.

Next time you start the engine, try pulsing the ignition key a few times and then crank it over.   As well as the door triggering the pump prime, I think it does it on the ignition too.   If it starts better then, it does sound like the pump is getting tired, or the filter has a defective valve allowing pressure to escape.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

dansmith180

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 03:44:53 pm »
Thanks mate, I'm not sure on the filter tbh so might be not be genuine. I'll give that a go and see how I get on  :drinking:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 04:39:56 pm »
Filters aren't that expensive from VW and easy to change, so it would certainly be top of my check list!   

It just sounds to me like it's stumbling because it's not getting enough fuel at startup.  No fault codes?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D