Make a donation

Author Topic: Four Wheel Alignment but Steering Wheel Not Straight  (Read 8412 times)

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
Re: Four Wheel Alignment but Steering Wheel Not Straight
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 12:13:10 pm »
Haha. Well despite Rich's, and to be honest my own apprehension of Kwik-Fit, I visited my local branch this morning. They have a Hunter alignment system and I was one of the first there in the morning. So I gave it a go, as I was majorly pissed off about the steering.

They've corrected the steering and it's now straight and true. The front toe on both wheels was completely out; i.e., it had not been corrected. Below is my print out. Half a mind to go back to where I had it done yesterday and ask for my money back.

Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2016, 04:22:33 pm »
You should do Nasir.

Offline Panthera

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2016, 06:27:59 pm »
Can't beat a Hunter TD Elite 4-wheel aligner, although I am slightly biased :D   There are only a few KF sites that are still get get Hunter equipment so they pretty much have the country covered.   Or try alignmycar.co.uk to find the most local hunter 4wa place near you. 
Its all things to all men...Golf GTi
2007 Blue Graphite Golf GTi

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 08:04:52 pm »
To be fair a wheel alignment is only good as the person using it like any thing else,Now kwik fit have a bad name as some of the centres don't give a crap but thier is some good fitters in their centres but it is finding them,i know this as i was a fitter in one of them many moons ago

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 41
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2016, 08:37:24 pm »
At least you've got it sorted now mate.

I'd still be inclined to go back and show them what you have had corrected and paid for once again. Do make a point of telling them that you are not here for your money back but will not be using them again and won't be recommending anyone else to them either - that will hurt them more.

In fact, I'm like you too and don't like confrontation so would probably put it into writing and either email them or send them a letter highlighting your frustrations.

Either way, they need to know they can't do bodge jobs like that and get away with it. If you don't make a noise, they'll keep ripping people off.

We're all behind you Nasir.
Previous motors (in order of succession since 1994):-

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
VW Corrado G60 Supercharged
Volvo C70 2.0 Turbo Convertible
Audi TT MK1 1.8T quattro (225)
Mercedes CLS 320 V6
Audi TT MK1 3.2 V6 Quattro
Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Quattro
VW Golf MK5 GTi 2.0 Turbo

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2016, 10:34:22 pm »
I use the one you fit on all four wheels and get it to zero as I don't like taking chances with other people's lives and also after the idiots who do my car's always get it a few degrees out really pisses me off when they can easily centre it  :stupid:

Problem being here is the if OP goes back now they'll just say you should have come back to us and we'd have sorted it and most likely decline a refund as you didn't give them a chance as with any company who takes the wizz with people's cars. insurance companies naming one.  :fighting2:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 10:42:12 pm by r5gtt »

Offline loop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2016, 10:38:08 pm »

Balls. I hate confrontation, but I've paid for a job and it hasn't been done.

Just awkward going to him, having a go and then expecting him to do it better the second time around. If anything, he's less inclined to do a proper job and to start giving me excuses.

Might have to chalk this down as a life lesson and go elsewhere. It's always the ones that try to be overly friendly that get you.

If you carry on like that then people will continue to walk over you. Go back and demand a refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
‘05 GT, Retrofits: RNS 510 DAB+, R32 Highline Cluster, R32 MFSW, Mk6 Reversing Camera, 7P6 Bluetooth, TPMS, Cruise Control, VW MDI, Chrome switches, Blaupunkt THA 475 amp.

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 10:44:35 am »
Thanks for the words of encouragement fellas  :happy2:. I agree that I shouldn't just lie down, the younger me would've been at it straight away. But experience has told me there are battles you fight and some you don't. My time may have been better served elsewhere; I.e., my work.

Anyway, I went back this morning and he immediately refunded me. He said he would've liked to have had another go, but these things happen. He was very courteous and I left within a minute.

Happy days. More fuel to burn on a blast. Took it out yesterday after the alignment around some twisty country roads and it was amazing. It doesn't just pop on up shifts, it barks sometimes. Music to my ears.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 10:56:14 am »
Thanks for the words of encouragement fellas  :happy2:. I agree that I shouldn't just lie down, the younger me would've been at it straight away. But experience has told me there are battles you fight and some you don't. My time may have been better served elsewhere; I.e., my work.

Anyway, I went back this morning and he immediately refunded me. He said he would've liked to have had another go, but these things happen. He was very courteous and I left within a minute.

Happy days. More fuel to burn on a blast. Took it out yesterday after the alignment around some twisty country roads and it was amazing. It doesn't just pop on up shifts, it barks sometimes. Music to my ears.
Good result in the end then. From the sound of it he probably did feel like he'd let you down and wanted to do a good job in the first place. I'm sure he'll try a bit harder on future jobs!

And you're right, diplomacy wins every time

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 03:40:00 pm »
Haha. Well despite Rich's, and to be honest my own apprehension of Kwik-Fit, I visited my local branch this morning. They have a Hunter alignment system and I was one of the first there in the morning. So I gave it a go, as I was majorly pissed off about the steering.

They've corrected the steering and it's now straight and true. The front toe on both wheels was completely out; i.e., it had not been corrected. Below is my print out. Half a mind to go back to where I had it done yesterday and ask for my money back.

That's a bit weird.  Assuming "Before...." is how you took it to them and "Current....." is after their adjustments, the toe was actually OK but now they've aligned it, it's untrued the front camber?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 04:00:28 pm »
On the 'before' printout, the steering was turned to the right to straighten the wheels. If they weren't straightened, the toe reading was way out. It's a bit of an odd way to do it, but it's definitely correct.

The front camber on the MK5 can't be adjusted.

Good result in the end then. From the sound of it he probably did feel like he'd let you down and wanted to do a good job in the first place. I'm sure he'll try a bit harder on future jobs!

And you're right, diplomacy wins every time

Yeah I'm pleased in the end. Bit of a farce but you live and learn.