Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 Gti to Mk7 R  (Read 3973 times)

Offline Adam.P

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
Mk5 Gti to Mk7 R
« on: February 29, 2016, 08:51:32 pm »
Good evening
Has anyone upgraded from a tuned up Mk5 Gti to a mk7 R
Looking at going down this route
Feedback much appreciated

Offline Dave(tm)

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89462.0.html
Re: Mk5 Gti to Mk7 R
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 07:38:08 pm »
I think a fair few have tbh. Take a look at the mk7 area of the forum and you'll find a few.

Dave

Offline Orc

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 25
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 07:49:39 pm »
I have, well kinda I still have the mk5 I just brought a 7 aswell, absolutely brilliant car  :happy2:

Offline rumblytripod

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 08:00:58 pm »
I have both, and while the 7r is an amazing car, it makes you realise how good the mk5 is. If your 5 is remapped there isn't that much of a difference. The 7 gets the power down better but isn't as urgent, obviously a remap of the 7 would rectify this. Obviously got all the bells and whistles of a new car but depending on your expectations if you sank 30k into an r there is a small chance of disappointment.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 10:12:39 pm »
I made the move from a Stage 1 Ed30 to a 7R DSG.

The 7R is a great at out of the box. It just does everything so well. . . It's a great daily, that is a lot of fun to drive hard when you feel like it. Covers ground like nothing else - wet or dry, just point &  :fighting:

It's not the most playful 4WD system, there's very little rear steering, it's almost completely neutral, which makes it easy & safe to drive hard
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline donovan2123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 08:07:08 pm »

The 7R is a great at out of the box. It just does everything so well. . . It's a great daily, that is a lot of fun to drive hard when you feel like it. Covers ground like nothing else - wet or dry, just point &  :fighting:

It's not the most playful 4WD system, there's very little rear steering, it's almost completely neutral, which makes it easy & safe to drive hard
Not to mention a bit boring after a year or twos ownership lol

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 09:06:24 pm »

Nahhhh

It's far from a boring car. It does the whole 'daily' thing really well, it's easy to drive, comfortable and very refined. . .

Push on a bit harder and it comes alive - like its up on its tip toes, it sharpens up and gains lots of feel.  :evilgrin:

After 4000 miles it's gained more of a voice (through the exhaust), and happily crackles on the overrun (from the exhaust / not the fake sound speaker)
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline donovan2123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 09:11:51 pm »

Nahhhh

It's far from a boring car. It does the whole 'daily' thing really well, it's easy to drive, comfortable and very refined. . .

Push on a bit harder and it comes alive - like its up on its tip toes, it sharpens up and gains lots of feel.  :evilgrin:

After 4000 miles it's gained more of a voice (through the exhaust), and happily crackles on the overrun (from the exhaust / not the fake sound speaker)
For me it is, agree with everything you say but trust after a year of ownership you get the sense that it does everything to well which for me makes it boring. I have owned Stg 2+ mk5 golf, tt 225 Stg 1, civic 2.2 I CDTI mapped plus many more and tbh I never got bored of any of them especially the mk5.

The golf is just way to easy to drive fast which for me gets boring