Make a donation

Author Topic: Putting power down  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Brimall

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Putting power down
« on: March 03, 2016, 01:00:19 pm »
Just wondering how well ed 30 put the power down when re-mapped?

Obviously with decent tyres but with no other mods.

I'm assuming 1st gear would be a non starter especially if damp /wet and second would nt be much better if you gave it full throttle?

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
Re: Putting power down
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 02:59:49 pm »
Hi mate. depends who maps it.

Rtech do the linear maps and power is nice and even. but yeah 1st gear just wheels spins but you learn in time how to drive the car and get the power down.

Only thing the ed30 is missing is the 4wd

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 03:04:57 pm »
Good thing with the rtech map I have is that you can choose between 5 different maps. Good for when wet etc. Although I usually keep mine on number 5 which is full HP and torque. :evilgrin:

1st gear wheel spin
2nd gear wheel spin
Sometimes 3rd wheel spin.
4th and 5th are usually ok.

Traction control stops a lot of it but cuts a bit of power too. A mapped ed30 certainly gives the traction control a hard time. But overall not too bad. I only turn TC off if it's real hot outside and the roads are bone dry and I have decent tyres on. Cheap tyres will defo not help as they are made from poor rubber which is too hard.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline Brimall

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 07:16:28 pm »
Thanks for the replys. Prity much what i was expecting.   Anyone know how much difference an lsd makes and if a walk kit males any difference?

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 09:51:34 pm »
Thanks for the replys. Prity much what i was expecting.   Anyone know how much difference an lsd makes and if a walk kit males any difference?
A WALK kit deals with the softest bush on the arm and helps keep the geometry straight under power and braking. Essential mod I would say.

LSD...yes, they work well, particularly with mapped high torque vehicles. In the wet they really shine and it will make sure you don't spin away all your power on a turn exit under power and for me at least it reduced torque steer to the point of practically nil. Some will say that they never had torque steer but I did and it was bad. Even my front seat passengers could feel the drive being passed left and right and the nose shifting around.

They're extremely effective for track driving, they aid in getting a tighter line and getting power down early and hard. With all the supporting hardware you'll capitalize on all your handling mods. In isolation it's more of a moot point. I think you could live happily without one, particularly if you don't do track days.

I've had some of my best drives on the road in the wet. Get all the other parts and settings right with an LSD and the cars are a riot in the wet. Massively capable.

Having said all this they are not a 'silver bullet' that will miraculously deliver double the traction instantly. They will assist in managing whatever traction is available and so improve matters that way.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 10:06:10 am by flashp »

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 10:35:16 am »
Which LSD have you got in yours mate?

I had a Quaife in my VR6 turbo and that made torque steer horrendous on uneven B roads  :grin:    It didn't help much with traction either, so I'm in two minds whether to bother with one on my ED30 or not.  Having said that, the Corrado didn't have TC or ESP, so a diff with all that is the best of both worlds I guess.

I'd be tempted with a wavetrac if I were to do it again, or maybe look at retrofitting that electronic diff from the MK7 as it sounds pretty nifty!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 11:41:12 am »

I had a Quaife in my VR6 turbo and that made torque steer horrendous on uneven B roads  :grin:    It didn't help much with traction either, so I'm in two minds whether to bother with one on my ED30 or not.  Having said that, the Corrado didn't have TC or ESP, so a diff with all that is the best of both worlds I guess.

I'd be tempted with a wavetrac if I were to do it again, or maybe look at retrofitting that electronic diff from the MK7 as it sounds pretty nifty!

Would the mk7 electronic diff fit on the mk5?

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 12:00:00 pm »

I have no idea, I was just thinking aloud  :smiley:

It would probably physically bolt in OK but the electronics side of it may be tricky!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 12:30:46 pm »
I have a Wavetrac.  :happy2:

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 01:04:10 pm »

I have no idea, I was just thinking aloud  :smiley:

It would probably physically bolt in OK but the electronics side of it may be tricky!

Yeah,that's what I thought...

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map