Make a donation

Author Topic: Handbrake cable replacement help!!  (Read 6316 times)

Offline Bracey

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Handbrake cable replacement help!!
« on: March 04, 2016, 12:05:35 pm »
Just trying to replace both handbrake cables and all was going well until I tried to remove the cable from the metal tube underneath the car where it enters the cabin. See photo.

It seems to be completely welded in at this point. I got a set of grips on it and gave it a twist and the plastic is starting to tear which would leave some of it in the metal tube. I have removed the cable at both ends (under centre console and at brake caliper)
Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated as at the moment I will be cycling to work this afternoon!!
Cheers. Rob.

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
Re: Handbrake cable replacement help!!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 12:23:31 pm »
One of mine seized here.
Split the tube with careful hacksawing.
Fitted new cable, well greased, then pinched up "slotted" tube with a stainless jubilee clip, so as to just pinch the cable.

Good luck!

Offline Bracey

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Handbrake cable replacement help!!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 12:51:36 pm »

Good idea grey golfster, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately to late to do it today, so looks like the bike is coming out the garage! But I will try this tomorrow morning.
Can the metal tube that goes up into the cabin be taken out and replaced? There does seem to be some movement in it, but can't see how it would be removed.