Make a donation

Author Topic: Hello, New Member, Advice / Experience with DVLA on Quickest Way to Transfer Reg  (Read 814 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Hello,

Getting my first Mk V GTI on Tuesday (2005; 32,000; Laser Blue), and been doing lots of reading on here. What a knowledgeable / helpful Forum - I'm really impressed.

I want to get my registration onto the car ASAP, and wondered if anyone had any recent experience with DVLA. I have the Retention Certificate. Would I be best to just get the V5 logbook back from DVLA with my details on it, and then it's just a matter of seconds doing it online; or should I risk sending the Retention Certificate off with the Logbook, asking DVLA to do it at the same time?  I'm just a bit bothered that it might take longer sending the Cert off, as it's less straightforward for the admin folk at DVLA etc. Or, is there another way?

Techie questions to follow, and hopefully not too many problems (gulp!).
Many thanks
Oh, I'm in Bournemouth

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
Just do it online. Only takes about 2 minutes. And no having to wait for it to get there and then it sat in a pile in the DVLA office.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 25
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95928.60.html
As above do mine online and doesn't take long at all

Offline laral

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
In short don't post if you can help it sent my transfer form along with my v5 by recorded post seemed easy.  2 weeks later got the v5 back to say they  didn't know why I had sent it no mention of the transfer cert so now will have to wait till Monday to start chasing it up.

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
In short don't post if you can help it sent my transfer form along with my v5 by recorded post seemed easy.  2 weeks later got the v5 back to say they  didn't know why I had sent it no mention of the transfer cert so now will have to wait till Monday to start chasing it up.

Exactly my concern - the two bits of paper becoming separated / lost etc. If you have the Retention Certificate reference number, you can still do it online.

Thanks for all other comments. The insurers only giving me 30 days to advise on number plate change, otherwise there's a £20 fee - DVLA saying could take up to 6 weeks, especially with the volume of March (new registrations / sales etc) transactions for them to deal with. Oh well!