Make a donation

Author Topic: Headlights don't turn off on auto lights setting  (Read 1638 times)

Online r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Headlights don't turn off on auto lights setting
« on: March 07, 2016, 07:57:41 am »
Hi all, just wondered if someone could tell me why my headlights turn on under a tunnel then don't turn off please?.
Or they turn on in the daylight early morning and don't turn off.

Thanks

R5

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
Re: Headlights don't turn off on auto lights setting
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 10:18:27 am »
Dodgy sensor could be the culprit!

If I'm in traffic going through a tunnel slowly they come on and then turn off whereas if I hit a tunnel at 100km/hr plus they come on and stay on. I know this is built into them due to speed.

Offline fazi123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 10:31:22 am »
Dodgy sensor could be the culprit!

If I'm in traffic going through a tunnel slowly they come on and then turn off whereas if I hit a tunnel at 100km/hr plus they come on and stay on. I know this is built into them due to speed.

I cant say I've noticed that. I regularly go through tunnels at ~80mph and they switch off afterwords...

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 11:31:14 am »
Nothing wrong with it.

Early morning or when the glare is high, and therefore visibility reduced, they turn on. Helps other people to see your car, not for you to see.

The other feature is called 'autobahn mode'. Above 85mph I think. If you stay above that speed for a certain number of seconds they'll come on. Then if you drop below a certain speed (30 or something) for a certain amount of time, they go off.

And finally, when the wipers are on full monsoon mode, the lights come on (again because visibility is reduced).

No dodgy sensors. Clever engineering.
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Online r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 01:01:05 pm »
Cheers Nasir, wasn't sure if it was anything dodgy.  it was bright and is bright in the morning heading off to work so I guess that's clever engineering for us without telling us lol
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 02:25:27 pm by r5gtt »