Make a donation

Author Topic: Potholes!!! 2 damaged tyres in 3 days  (Read 5848 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Potholes!!! 2 damaged tyres in 3 days
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 09:01:49 pm »
I report some potholes using Fixmystreet.co.uk

But no, this is too mainstream and easy for Leeds City Council. You must log on to their sh*tty website and do it.

I swear I didn't even notice potholes in my old MK5 diesel. In this, I notice every crevice in the road. I curse violently when I hit one, which happens at least a couple of times in the day. People must think I'm a lunatic from the outside. But they do feel incredibly harsh in the GTI.
I'm the same Nasir, really winds me up thay we pay road tax and they don't jeep the roads up to date. maybe they don't know about the holes but that's not our fault is it.

Offline jamie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 09:19:19 pm »
Sorry to see this - not good.

It's even worse when it has been raining and potholes are beneath a puddle of water.  The roads near me are poor and the repairs seems somewhat makeshift at times.  I guess there is just not enough money to go around...

I hope you get it sorted.

Kam88

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 10:35:59 pm »
blew my 2 months old michelin up few days ago was really pissed off

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
  • Life is not a straight line!
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 02:25:52 pm »
It's threads like these that make me wonder why i even bother paying my road tax.
Steel Grey 2006 Mk5 GTI - R-TECH Stage 1 (268bhp/334ftlb) - BCS Cat Back - Pre-Cat Delete - Carbonio Panel Filter - Rev G DV - 18" BBS CH - Leather - RNS510 - Colour Coded Bumpers and Skirts - ED30 Front Splitter - Eibach Sportlines - Open Fog Grilles - Wind Deflectors.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 01:44:55 am »
We've got no choice but to pay @Greenman

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 02:23:27 pm »
We've got no choice but to pay @Greenman

This is true, but what are the government actually spending the money on?

Quite obviously not keeping the roads nice.

Around here in bristol almost all the roads are like driving on an off road course...:(
Steel Grey 2006 Mk5 GTI - R-TECH Stage 1 (268bhp/334ftlb) - BCS Cat Back - Pre-Cat Delete - Carbonio Panel Filter - Rev G DV - 18" BBS CH - Leather - RNS510 - Colour Coded Bumpers and Skirts - ED30 Front Splitter - Eibach Sportlines - Open Fog Grilles - Wind Deflectors.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 04:32:50 pm »
What are they spending the money on?  How about littering the country with average speed traps, speed humps, election campaigns, immigration policies, euro policies blah blah.....  road surface quality is really low down on the priority list.  And it's self perpetuating problem because the car hating cardigan wearing local bureaucrats do nothing about it.  Year in year out they bleat on about reduced budgets blah blah, but they always find the money to throw a new scamera up don't they?

The roads in this country are an embarrassment.  I've seen smoother Bulgarian farm tracks.

They should leave a big box of tarmac and some stamping tools on every street corner and let residents do the repairs themselves.  At least it'll be done properly that way, and as soon as they happen and not 3 years after the fact.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 04:45:32 pm »
What are they spending the money on?  How about littering the country with average speed traps, speed humps, election campaigns, immigration policies, euro policies blah blah.....  road surface quality is really low down on the priority list.  And it's self perpetuating problem because the car hating cardigan wearing local bureaucrats do nothing about it.  Year in year out they bleat on about reduced budgets blah blah, but they always find the money to throw a new scamera up don't they?

The roads in this country are an embarrassment.  I've seen smoother Bulgarian farm tracks.

They should leave a big box of tarmac and some stamping tools on every street corner and let residents do the repairs themselves.  At least it'll be done properly that way, and as soon as they happen and not 3 years after the fact.

I hear all that.

It would not surprise me if some of the money is falling into the back pockets of numerous corrupt politicians!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 04:46:14 pm »

Well said that man.

I'm lucky in that one of the main roads on my commute has recently been resurfaced. It's nice and smooth, for now. But if I'm venturing further afield it's staggering to see the state of some roads.

Doesn't help having reasonably low profile tyres on the 18s, but still, we should be able to drive with oem spec and not have to worry about this kind of nonsense.

Always makes me wonder how a car would react during an emergency stop on these kind of roads. Surely the car would skit and scrabble for grip. That'd definitely be worthy of a case if it caused a bump.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 04:58:01 pm »

Well said that man.

I'm lucky in that one of the main roads on my commute has recently been resurfaced. It's nice and smooth, for now. But if I'm venturing further afield it's staggering to see the state of some roads.

Doesn't help having reasonably low profile tyres on the 18s, but still, we should be able to drive with oem spec and not have to worry about this kind of nonsense.

Always makes me wonder how a car would react during an emergency stop on these kind of roads. Surely the car would skit and scrabble for grip. That'd definitely be worthy of a case if it caused a bump.

I usually walk to Tescos in my lunch hours and last year I witnessed some truly awful pot hole filling going on, by some anonymous looking guys in an anonymous looking truck.  Sure enough, 3 days after completion, all the tarmac they put down was reduced to a pile of crumbs by the side of the pavement, exposing the original holes again.  Useless.  A fortnight later an official highways crew were there redoing the work.  What a total waste of (tax payers) money.  And this goes on countrywide.  Councils doing it on the cheap, then having to repeat the work.  When are they ever going to learn?

As Nasir said, the OEM suspension is surprisingly strong, as are the Pescara alloys in the case of the Ed30.   I headed down to Hertfordshire last year on unfamiliar roads, and on a pitch black unlit 60mph road, I drove over what can only be described a moon crater.  The noise and thumping through the car was horrendous, but the car carried on regardless.  The next day in the cold light of day, I'd driven over a bit of road that maybe hadn't seen tarmac since the romans put it down in 500 BC.  No damage to the tyres, wheels or suspension!  Amazing!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:59:39 pm by Pudding »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 05:09:28 pm »

Well said that man.

I usually walk to Tescos in my lunch hours and last year I witnessed some truly awful pot hole filling going on, by some anonymous looking guys in an anonymous looking truck.  Sure enough, 3 days after completion, all the tarmac they put down was reduced to a pile of crumbs by the side of the pavement, exposing the original holes again.  Useless.  A fortnight later an official highways crew were there redoing the work.  What a total waste of (tax payers) money.  And this goes on countrywide.  Councils doing it on the cheap, then having to repeat the work.  When are they ever going to learn?

As Nasir said, the OEM suspension is surprisingly strong, as are the Pescara alloys in the case of the Ed30.   I headed down to Hertfordshire last year on unfamiliar roads, and on a pitch black unlit 60mph road, I drove over what can only be described a moon crater.  The noise and thumping through the car was horrendous, but the car carried on regardless.  The next day in the cold light of day, I'd driven over a bit of road that maybe hadn't seen tarmac since the romans put it down in 500 BC.  No damage to the tyres, wheels or suspension!  Amazing!
Haha! That made me laugh

Worth noting that correct tyre pressures help. Too high and there's less give in the sidewall on impact. I've dropped down to a modest 32 front / 30 rear. Not sure if that's a tiny bit under, but the ride quality is miles better over these kind of roads. Just feels like the tyres are getting a chance to absorb things. A few more psi all round and things quickly get crashy.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2016, 02:21:19 pm »

Well said that man.

Haha! That made me laugh

Worth noting that correct tyre pressures help. Too high and there's less give in the sidewall on impact. I've dropped down to a modest 32 front / 30 rear. Not sure if that's a tiny bit under, but the ride quality is miles better over these kind of roads. Just feels like the tyres are getting a chance to absorb things. A few more psi all round and things quickly get crashy.

Lol, I was on a proper council hate campaign yesterday  :grin:

I run standard pressures on mine, which is 36psi I think.  Sounds a lot of 18s if you ask me, but it's what it says on the petrol cap!   That kind of pressure wears continentals and F1s down in the middle I've found.  I normally run 32psi too, so I'll have to see what happens to the Michelins!   They actually have a better ride quality at 36psi than the F1s did at 32psi!!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2016, 02:26:56 pm »
I had the Supersports at 36/33 and it was bone shaking. Soon as I dropped it made a huge difference.

But yeah, no two tyres are the same. What works in an F1 might be crap with a Michelin. I tend to just experiment and find a sweet spot rather than sticking rigidly to manufacturer numbers, whether that's right or wrong!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2016, 02:33:25 pm »
I think if pressures were that critical, there would be more control over it.   The amount of people I see with bald tyres, mismatched tyres on the same axle and flat tyres is amazing.....but they stay on the tarmac somehow!

Yeah the super sports have got stiff old sidewalls on them.  I remember them feeling rock like on my old R32 but the turn-in and grip were epic.  Switched to the F1 and they were vague and blancmangey by comparison and not as good in the wet either, which is what I thought the F1's specialty was!!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2016, 02:46:06 pm »
The turn in is astonishing. Helps to have the geometry set up properly, but even so. Not bad in the wet either. Only criticsm is the performance drops off considerably at colder temps, around 6 degrees or less.