Make a donation

Author Topic: ESP turns off after kicking in  (Read 1467 times)

Bavl

ESP turns off after kicking in
« on: April 24, 2017, 07:00:44 pm »
Hello guys!

I've been lurking around this forum for a while, and now that I need to ask a question...I've finally made an account.
So... I am the very happy owner of a mk5 gti (all stock) and today I've noticed while driving with the ESP ON that if I push the car 'till the ESP kicks in, the ESP light stays ON after blinking a few times, and I can't turn it off afterwards without shutting down the engine.
Did any of you guys encountered this on your cars? Or have a clue about what’s going on?
I’ve read a few posts here and there about the ESP light staying always ON, but these were mostly sensor faults. Not sure if this is the case here.

Cheers!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: ESP turns off after kicking in
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 11:42:46 am »
Need to get it scanned for fault codes.  Does the ABS work?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Bavl

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 04:17:25 pm »
Ok. Had it fixed after all.
It was a cable from the MAF sensor which was not entirely broke...but just a little bent, and it tricked me for a while.
But when it finally broke I had the classic symptoms of a faulty MAF sensor. Took it out, it was clean. Went to the wiring and found the bend one.

Moral of the story: Also check the wiring when having MAF problems.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 12:12:47 pm »
Thanks for updating the post!  So many threads get lost in the ether with no fix added.

The ESP function can't work if it doesn't know the engine load, so that is a good call.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D