Make a donation

Author Topic: Small crack in my wind screen from a twat Sunday night  (Read 6032 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Small crack in my wind screen from a twat Sunday night
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 01:44:26 pm »
I have the same thing, Aviva now charge £10 for a repair!
I'd rather have it replaced completely as there are signs of ring worm on the tip edge.

Offline Roadrebel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 05:48:48 pm »
You had a cool mot tester lol

I'm not worried about the mot but the vrack getting bigger and I don't have the time to have it repaired due to work.

I didn't have the time either so I spoke to the local garage and they said it was ok as long as I didn't leave it outside too long!

My crack hasn't got any bigger but I wont get away with it again. New screen time.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 06:29:08 pm »
R5gtt. Just a bit of advice. You can take it or ignore it.

I might not have posted this had I not seen your other thread, of a similar theme.

Doing 120 on a motorway is silly. You might be a great driver, I don't know that. But even if you were, there are too many other factors out of your control:

Other drivers in front sharing the same road. Who might not be the best drivers themselves. You're gambling on them not only seeing you in their mirror, but making an accurate judgement on your speed. A casual driver might not be able to discern the difference between a car doing 80 and a car doing 120 from a cursory glance in their rear view mirror, if they even use their mirrors at all. So then they move out to lane 2/3 to overtake a slower vehicle, into your path, leaving you on the brakes. At 120.

Rubber. Are you running the correct speed rating and load rating for a mk5 GTI? Could you state those specs without resorting to Google? Not many could, admittedly, but not many push that envelope so that it quickly becomes relevant. Tyre failure at 120 will be loads of fun all round.

Mechanical failure.

Unexpected tailback.

Obscure hazard.

Another crash, in your path.

The bizzies.

Seriously mate, turn it down a few notches. Yes, these cars are quite quick. But it's just asking for trouble doing that. I know you'll read this and think I'm being a killjoy, I'm having a go, whatever. But if a tiny bit of it sinks home I don't really mind what you think. Nobody wants to see "RIP R5gtt" on the forum do they? I don't.

Plus, and this is by far the biggest criticism I can throw at you...

How the hell can you enjoy the balance and response of a mk5 GTI, the best thing about the car, on the bloody motorway?!

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 06:38:14 pm »
Just bad luck.
I had two of these in as many weeks. You begin to feel like you're being singled out for special attention by a divine being though don't you!  :fighting:

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline MS1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 09:26:10 pm »
Sound words AJP. I'm guilty of over doing it in the motorway. Never, ever worth it...
R-Tech Map/ Longlife TBE w/200 cell Sports Cat / ITG Maxogen G60 / Loba HPFP / Forge Twin FMIC / Forge TB Hose / R8 Coilpacks / Neuspeed Power Pulley / EBC D&G Front & Rear Discs / EBC Yellowstuff Pads / BSH PCV Kit / Super-Pro Front & Rear / W.A.L.K / APR Torque Arm / 034Motorsport Density Line Engine Mounts / Vibratechnics Subframe Mount / Vibratechnics Dogbone Bush

284bhp / 307lbft

Offline Ruggy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 09:33:59 pm »
Wise words from AJP. I was going to write something along similar lines, but I would have been a little succinct and probably nowhere near as diplomatic.

AJP has put it across much better than I could.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 11:14:19 pm »

I might not have posted this had I not seen your other thread, of a similar theme.

Doing 120 on a motorway is silly. You might be a great driver, I don't know that. But even if you were, there are too many other factors out of your control:

Other drivers in front sharing the same road. Who might not be the best drivers themselves. You're gambling on them not only seeing you in their mirror, but making an accurate judgement on your speed. A casual driver might not be able to discern the difference between a car doing 80 and a car doing 120 from a cursory glance in their rear view mirror, if they even use their mirrors at all. So then they move out to lane 2/3 to overtake a slower vehicle, into your path, leaving you on the brakes. At 120.

Rubber. Are you running the correct speed rating and load rating for a mk5 GTI? Could you state those specs without resorting to Google? Not many could, admittedly, but not many push that envelope so that it quickly becomes relevant. Tyre failure at 120 will be loads of fun all round.

Mechanical failure.

Unexpected tailback.

Obscure hazard.

The bizzies.

Seriously mate, turn it down a few notches. Yes, these cars are quite quick. But it's just asking for trouble doing that. I know you'll read this and think I'm being a killjoy, I'm having a go, whatever. But if a tiny bit of it sinks home I don't really mind what you think. Nobody wants to see "RIP R5gtt" on the forum do they? I don't.

How the hell can you enjoy the balance and response of a mk5 GTI, the best thing about the car, on the bloody motorway?!
AJP I'm not going to say anything but understood mate. it won't happen again as it was my first real test run like my tt which I got to 145 and wanting more but I always watch where and how I do what I do and the way was lovely and clear ahead so I planted it.

Won't happen again that's for sure as I understand anything can happen whilst being  :stupid: as you mentioned above flat tyre etc etc my heart wasn't even racing but I remembered the failure points and banged the brake on as I did realise it was very foolish to do.

Offline LondonGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 07:55:12 am »
Germany is only a few hours away. You can do whatever you like there and it's a real eye opener. People here just don't expect that kind of driving. I'm sure you were careful and I'm not going to preach, but it's going to be the other things that get you.

Anyway, how the heck do you insist on VW glass?? I have a crack from a stone throw at 20, yes twenty, and want it replaced. Fourth screen in two years, not original anymore

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 04:29:43 pm »

Mechanical failure.

Unexpected tailback.

Obscure hazard.

The bizzies.

AJP I'm not going to say anything but understood mate. it won't happen again as it was my first real test run like my tt which I got to 145 and wanting more but I always watch where and how I do what I do and the way was lovely and clear ahead so I planted it.

Won't happen again that's for sure as I understand anything can happen whilst being  :stupid: as you mentioned above flat tyre etc etc my heart wasn't even racing but I remembered the failure points and banged the brake on as I did realise it was very foolish to do.
I appreciate you taking the critcism gracefully mate. It wasn't meant as a stab, as much as you and I may bicker a bit on here from time to time! It just set alarm bells off a bit. I have read some sad things on similar forums about people losing their life after pushing the limits a little too much. I think we're all a good bunch here, and while I probably came across as a bit of a know-it-all moaner it was meant with the very best intentions.

Anyway. It does seem that as time goes on and cars get more refined and more powerful by default year on year, sometimes it can be all too easy to creep up to big speeds and not really see or feel the warning signs, as modern cars do it without fuss, in refinement.

I'm not exactly old, just mid 30s, but around the time I started driving if you were tanking along in whatever car, you really knew it. The difference in refinement, and the ability of affordable 'family hatchbacks' to reach and handle high speed in those 18 odd years is huge.

Just keep an eye on the speedo

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 07:59:16 pm »

Mechanical failure.

Unexpected tailback.

Obscure hazard.

The bizzies.

I appreciate you taking the critcism gracefully mate. It wasn't meant as a stab, as much as you and I may bicker a bit on here from time to time! It just set alarm bells off a bit. I have read some sad things on similar forums about people losing their life after pushing the limits a little too much. I think we're all a good bunch here, and while I probably came across as a bit of a know-it-all moaner it was meant with the very best intentions.

Anyway. It does seem that as time goes on and cars get more refined and more powerful by default year on year, sometimes it can be all too easy to creep up to big speeds and not really see or feel the warning signs, as modern cars do it without fuss, in refinement.

I'm not exactly old, just mid 30s, but around the time I started driving if you were tanking along in whatever car, you really knew it. The difference in refinement, and the ability of affordable 'family hatchbacks' to reach and handle high speed in those 18 odd years is huge.

Just keep an eye on the speedo
AJP I didn't even think anything bad when reading your first post and whatever we've disagreed on doesn't change the hard facts of driving psychotic down a motorway or any where else for that matter. I don't think you know it all :slap: but hey ho  :stupid:  :signLOL:

It's true man, sometimes I don't realise how quick the car builds up speed now imagine me with a mapped motor  :scared:

I love the quick put bursts tbh and have had a few races here and there.
Lost to a blondy Friday gone in her 350z lowered kitted and she was  :love: she left me for dust and I'm not  :ashamed: to say so either.  she come blasting up my bumper and I had to move out the way  :stupid: now I need a remap asap :driver:

I've had my 1.6gti 1.9gti uno turbo and reno gt turbo's and they were super quick for the 90's  :surprised: and controlled well by me even though I was in my early 20's.

Will do mate no more unless I'm down and out in Germany  :driver:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 08:01:43 pm »
Just bad luck.
I had two of these in as many weeks. You begin to feel like you're being singled out for special attention by a divine being though don't you!  :fighting:
It's a bugger mate.

I think I'm going to call up vw and sort out my wing warranty and screen if I can as I'm due to go on holiday on the 30th so will leave the car with them hopefully. .
The chip hasn't grown as I anticipated so happy with that until then  :smiley:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 08:03:42 pm »
Think the later 350z was 300bhp. Tidy motors!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2016, 08:09:20 pm »
No wonder she weed all over me. something was also scraping at the bottom of her car so I stepped back as chaffing were hiding my car as I noticed the chips on my bonnet.